Posts by Monkey_Man

Opal.

You'll get the flatness you're after but without sterility. Headroom and all the punch you could ever require. Flat, natural-sounding and yet exciting.

I realise they're pricier elsewhere (than in Australia), which is a rare thing 'cause we get ripped off for practically everything down here, but you're not after a pair (only 1), and consider that all components were designed and purpose-built from the ground up at the Rode factory in Sydney. No generic parts at all, and everything is over-engineered.

I'm so proud of the fact that they're made in Oz. I'd have bought them (saved for many years!) regardless of where they were made and cannot say enough about them.

EDIT: Have you enabled cookies? Could be the issue with editing your post.

Agreed Gianfranco, but rebooting doesn't fix it; that was what happened in nightlight's case. The OP hasn't said whether or not he's tried that.

The OP mentioned that it didn't happen when he was on the other (usual) side of the stage, so I'm figuring it's a grounding issue with the power outlet he used, which might be "solved" with the switch. This assumes the Kemper's OK, 'cause he was using an Ultra when positioned on the other side, both literally and figuratively(!).

It goes without saying that when it comes to electronics, I've no idea what I'm talking about. The suggestion only came to mind 'cause it was a button that hadn't been pushed yet in the OP's attempt to fix the problem.

What I like most in these JBL monitors is that they somehow manage to sound exciting while still being pretty flat. They are really good overall. I just listened to a flac version of Sia's piano version of Chandellier... Wow! It really blew my mind. Going back to my trusty ATH M50s sounds scooped and just untrue compared to the JBLs.

I totally get where you're coming from Daniel; I feel exactly the same way about my Opals.

So flat and true... and yet, always exciting. This is the "Holy Grail" to me - a monitor's ability to be linear, punchy and have mojo all at the same time.

I thought I'd update this thread after getting myself some small monitors today. I don't have a lot of places close by to try numerous monitors but I tried some Yamaha HS8s and 7s (which were both good but too large for my desk) and the little JBLs. After hearing the JBLs I really didn't feel the need to try and find anything else, they're fantastic little monitors, at a silly price, with more than enough oomph and quality for my needs. They're really great with the Kemper and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing frequency wise.

Now, admittedly I'm not trying for amp in the room, trouser flapping bass or massive volume. I just wanted something that can play back faithfully what I hear in my headphones without tweaking profile EQs like crazy. These little monitor's deliver in spades and for the money I'm amazed. I was somewhat wary of the hype these get on the internet but they really are that good. Granted I've only had an hour with them so it's early days but I'm very impressed and very happy so far :)

Just for some background, in case I sound far too enthusiastic, I have Dynaudio BM6As I use in my lounge for listening to music. When used with the Kemper, I can't really notice a huge difference in sound quality considering the large difference in price. If nothing else, anyone looking for monitors for their Kemper (if your needs are similar to mines) would be advised to give the JBLs a listen before shelling out for high end monitors :thumbup:

Awesome, Davey! Woohoo!

Told you you wouldn't miss the lows... but you believed me, right? LOL

I did tweak all the heavy pack with humbucker a instead of my usual Andersons so that may be one reason they're brighter I also did some custom profiling with Wolf and tried to learn a bit about heavier, edgier tones. Hope they work!

Judging by the demos and the accounts here in the thread, I'd say you must've learned something! LOL

A man of taste. I Like!

Many are swayed by reviews and what they see in charts and spec sheets, but not I. I "took-home-auditioned" a crapload of HPs around 2000 (the year, not the number of 'phones!) and spent a few months testing them for flatness of response, power, punch and naturalness, and as I've said here on the forum before, these puppies absolutely cleaned up / wiped the floor with the competition. No contest in the end, and they were several hundred cheaper than many of the rivals.

Careful you don't blow your head off with the Kemper man; as you'd know the lack of detectible distortion, smoothness and naturalness of the 'phones allow you to crank way past where you know you should...