Posts by Monkey_Man

Viabcroce wrote:
    With the premise that what sounds good to anyone is good to them, I wonder how anything could sound better than something that sounds like the profiled amp... It can sound different, but the goal of the Profiler is to sound like your amp. The rest is a matter of tastes.

Agreed Gianfranco; It's an invalid argument.

Jzucker, thank you for that more-considered response; I appreciate it mate.

The Kemper team is aware of the fact that some users find the disparity in labelling of parameters between the KPA and real stomps frustrating. I'm sure it's given it much thought; we'll have to see which way it goes. I do get the feeling 'though that consistency of approach / paradigm / labelling is important to it, which explains what we've seen thus far.

Seriously 'though, stepping back from this a little, it's hardly a weighty issue, is it? I mean, and perhaps I'm biased as an audio engineer, but accepting and adapting to / interpreting the interfaces of various devices is part and parcel of using technology to make music. Even if, in this case, pedals aren't reflected verbatim, a standard is nevertheless still apparent, in this case... Kemper's standard, which is more-or-less a universal, logical standard. Hardly worth losing sleep or indeed switching products over, IMHO.

Still, if the quality of the FAS FX poses such a huge drawcard for you, who'm I to question your decision? The only thing I'd say is that when recording, the quality of the amp and cab's combined tone is what counts and nothing more. Anything any guitar-processing box can do can be done in the studio, and almost always more discreetly and with greater control and fidelity. In light of this, I'd say "choose wisely" or "for live use only".

Good luck, mate.

True, but a 'still working on it.....' would do no harm whatsoever in my opinion. Lots of folks would like extra delays, lots would like extra reverbs (including Spring) and lots would like the ability to put these things before or after the amp stack and be able to tweak multiple parameters using an expression pedal. And an editor of course :)

i completely get when Kemper do not say 'what is coming' when it's something innovative (such as PureCab). I do not get why they will not say that these things are coming 'soon' because none of them is an innovation vs the competition. I have every hope that Kemper will 'do it better' because they always do, but if they officially said 'we're still working on these delays and reverbs and they'll be great' it'd throw everyone a bone and no other manufacturer has anything to steal because they all do a version of these things a long time ago. Win / win in my opinion. :)

IMHO, there's no point in saying "we're still working on it":

1) We're told they're working on it.
    2) If we're told nothing else, surely we can assume they're still working on it.
    3) Even once finished, there's still no point in telling us 'cause it'd appear in the next update and the K-Team, IMHO, has the right to try to surprise us by not spilling all (they may spill some here and there) the beans prior to release.

The mentality of expecting periodic reassurances of this nature reminds me of the kid on the back seat of a car's asking, "Daddy, are we there yet?" over and over again. These guys are pros, and IMHO they're treating us as such. I don't feel hard done by 'cause I know that any inside information I might have will have zero influence / effect on the nature and timing of software or hardware updates. You either trust that the K-Team is doing its best or you don't. You either trust that the team takes our concerns onboard or you don't. I for one believe the former in both cases, and humbly accept that my being kept in the loop, so to speak, would be of absolutely no benefit to anyone save for satiating my own eagerness / impatience, which in and of itself is, to me at least, an expression of my own immaturititty, just like that wardrobe malfunction.

Sorry for the rant. S'pose what I'm saying is that I'm happy to accept the Kemper way. If you guys want to try to get them to alter their modus operandi somewhat, I wish you luck and success, but I'm not convinced the efforts will justify the rewards.

Right = correct, so the right side is the correct side.

Not buying this? My excuse is that we're down under, and technically upside down. Even our water swirls the other way when draining a sink. Interestingly, on the equator, it doesn't know which way to go; the subtle overall directional bias of the eddies and currents, which one can influence manually (er... twirling a finger in it), will gather momen-titty-um and spin in the resulting direction. It goes without saying that for the most part, these subtle movements in the water are the legacy of recent human (mostly, perhaps not in my case) active-titty, along with convection currents due to the fact that more often than not temperature differences between container and medium exist (water typically comes from taps, meaning pipes, which by definition don't usually reflect ambient temperatures, unlike most "containers").

Cripes. What have I gotten myself into here?! Damn you, Skoczy! LOL

Geez, I told you my connection was crap last night, and I wasn't kidding! I've been trying to load this page for 25 minutes, reloading when it seems to get stuck. It's just the images obviously, which aren't even that big! Too funny.

Anyway, Skoczy, all this just to thank you again for last night (easy, Kemperites, we're on opposite sides of the world, you dirty-minded scallywags) and also for the HTML doc you've now posted. This is what I needed all along, I think. I didn't know one could sort such a document, although I've seen column sorting a lot on the web as we all have.

The app download had finished this morning, but when I came to install it I saw that it is 400mb and the documentation says it requires 1.5G all up. This is way too much space; I simply don't have it at the moment, especially because it'll hardly ever be used as the only docs I open are basic text, PDF and HTML files. The one you posted originally is one of only 2 exceptions in the last 15 years for me, so I think you get the idea - too "heavyweight" in terms of both functionality and footprint for the Monkster.

Of course, you've solved the dilemma in one fowl poop... I mean, fell swoop, with the creation of the HTML doc. Once again, Skoczy, I bow to your magnificence, Oh Mighty One! Thank you!

Yup.

Dynamic and spectral (which includes wahs) generally go before the amp, along with (sometimes) mono phasers and flangers for the unique tones on offer compared to when they're placed post-amp / cab.

Time-based and ALL stereo FX, with few exceptions, go post the rig. The only situation I can think of where stereo could be employed pre-rig is where one has a dual-amp setup.

I know it's not what you want to hear, Harry, but:

A Line6 JTV could be a solution for you:

1) You want to be able to use only 1 guitar. Solved.
    2) You want (ideally) to be able to choose a hollow-bodied or semi-hollow-bodied axe for jazz. Solved.
    3) You'd ideally like a better acoustic sound than a single coil into an "acoustic" rig (Kemper amp), and the L6 JTV guitars (there're 3 of them - a strat-styled one, an LP-type and a shred-oriented "super-strat") will offer far superior acoustic sims (5 I think, including a couple of 12-string guitars) to your KPA as well as your old AC3.

As a bonus, there's a bunch of other jazz-ready guitars built in like various Gibsons, along with sitar, resonator, banjo, strat, tele and at least a couple of LPs.

Just putting it out there, mate. For what you get, these things are a bargain. You can power the guitar via an $80 footswitch which provides switchable (stomp on it) TRS / XLR outs, so when you switch to an acoustic model you could go straight to FOH if you prefer.

A rechargeable battery is included (big rectangular thing), so if you're putting everything including your acoustic sims through the KPA you could just as easily go with that; from memory you get at least 4+ hours from a single charge, plenty for a gig... usually! I suspect there's more juice than that 'though as I haven't checked the charge life since the old Variax guitars 10 years ago. The newer JTV ones saw James Tyler get involved in the design, which produced a decent step up in playability and tuning stability, and the L6 team hugely upgraded the guitar models, most of which sound amazingly good now, IMHO. It's just not a Gibson or a Suhr or whatever; the guitar itself generally requires a little setup work. It took me about a week to really dial my JTV69 in and it chimes like Big Ben now, always in tune (floating term with locking tuners). Plays like butter for what it is too; the Tyler necks are a huge improvement.

Rant over. As I said, Harry, not boutique-quality hardware, but more than adequate as an all-in-one gigging solution, methinks.

I think the rear input is line level, whereas the front is guitar level. The input sense controls will "adapt" their range to the line-level signal if that's what you're using, and to the guitar-level range when the front input is employed.

That should allay your concerns, if indeed I'm right, Andy.

Skoczy made some good points in his thesis.

The obvious way around those "pitfalls", if you could call them that (really just programming challenges), is to allow editing of the amp, cab and FX parameters contained within the KPA's buffer, but not to allow switching of the amps or cabs (IRs and Profiles) themselves. Most could live with this limitation, I suspect, but knowing Christophe (I don't actually, but I subscribe to his modus operandi), the team will likely concoct a method through which one could switch amps, cabs and FX presets in similar fashion to how one would do so on the unit itself, from within the editor. That would be ideal, the Holy Grail, so to speak, IMHO, and of course YMMV.

IMHO, the announcement of an editor would qualify for a NAMM revelation moreso than a spring reverb, although the announcement of a general revamp of FX would be "news" too, IMHO. Editor + FX revamp = Pretty big news, IMHO, and would be awesome!

I reckon a Kemper 2 lol Only joking guys :)

Don't say that! LOL Statements like this are verboten in Jungleville and indeed in Kemperland.

Gave up on this post; the quotations just wouldn't work properly.

Suffice it to say that spring 'verb has a character all its own, and apart from the obvious amp-emulation authentici-titty argument, sometimes it's just the ticket to help impart a unique character to a guitar sound in the mix.

Oh, and jzucker, I'm frankly amazed that you said that the KPA's FX "sound like a toy". I'm at a loss for words when it comes to responding to the claim. Have you tried them all?