Posts by Monkey_Man

I totally hear you, Danger. I thought of this too, of course, being an engineer 'n all; it's the way we think.

Yes, in cases where Digital Performer's stock guitar-stomp plugs (which are all good) can't provide the magic certain sounds might demand where the Kemper can, I'll certainly try this. The obvious trick would be to turn the amp and cab blocks OFF!

Noise shouldn't be an issue, especially 'cause the "noisiest" blocks will be turned off and the Kemper's nice and quiet with tonnes of headroom.

Any idea if this would work on the 8pre? I've got the latest firmware, though it's not been updated in several years. Heck, you can't even download 8pre firmware from their site any longer.

Strange that they consider this such a great product, and have even done a cosmetic update on it in the last couple years, but it looks almost like it's going into legacy.

Sorry, Doug, but I'm in the dark about that unit. I know the line well from the first 2408mkI right through to the 24I/O as I've owned most of them, as well as the MIDI units. There's a gap between the 24I/O's release date and the AVB offerings in my knowledge 'though... and I only know what I've read about the AVB line, although progress in paying off the lay-buy is steadily progressing...

One thing's for sure - regardless of whether or not you can achieve this through a FW update, MOTU will support your unit with its drivers. As far as I know, its entire audio interface line, right back to the first unit released in the '90s, is and will continue to be supported. MOTU's great this way. Even projects created in Performer in 1984 on the Mac can still be loaded into Digital performer today on the Mac... or even PC! Incredible. I know of no other software company, audio or otherwise, that provides this sort of legacy support.

EDIT: Hopefully Kemper will follow suit!

Yeah. It's kinda luscious.

One of the many things that's impressed me about her knowledge is that, whilst it's always easiest to apply her recommendations with 100% success if you haven't already messed around trying to clean / fix the problem at hand yourself, she's aware of how the various less-successful techniques affect the materials in question. Her understanding of this stuff is seriously deep. This is why I pointed to her as quickly as I could, 'cause most off-the-shelf products out there affect certain materials in untold ways, complicating things.

She knows how to get to the heart (luscious heart?) of the matter... every time. The only time she "fails" is when she tells you that you've messed up the chemical makeup of something (by muckin' around like a kid in a candy store tryin' to clean something up) to such an extent that permanent damage is ineluctable, and not even this is a failure; it's just great knowledge on her part.

She really is a star.

Here is how I removed the older rigs:
    I highlighted the older versions of the Rigs in Rig Manager, and pressed "Delete".

Such a complex procedure, Paults; I'm having trouble getting my head around it.

I wonder if you could break it down a little further for me? :/

The frustration is that these things are pretty rare in Australia, the retailer I bought from only had a head and a rack and thats all.
    BTW - my units build date is December 2014 (I bought it new yesterday) so they dont sell many here.

Im in Sydney a city of about 4 million people and we have 2 retailers of Kemper equipment, thats it.
    The distributor is in Melbourne 600 miles away.

... and ironically 10 minutes from my house; I've known the owner for 20 years. Mind you, I still had to wait months for mine to arrive!

Aussies are very poorly served when it comes to music gearcheers

Folks, we here Down Under have learned to assume the worst in this regard... 'cause it's true. Ask any audio Aussie!

Konnichiwa Jeff! Welcome, mate, from Down Under.

You're a lucky bugger; I love Japan so much I've wanted to live there most of my life. Preferably in Okinawa 'cause I've frozen my brass nuts off down here in Melbourne for 34 years after moving here from sunny South Africa. It probably doesn't matter where 'though, as I love all things Japanese!

Great choice with the A&H, IMHO; I've always been a fan of the company's build quality and neutral sound, making the gear supremely versatile.

Enjoy your new toys, bro'!

I did check those, but I wasn't aware that the optical ports accepted S/PDIF. That's interesting. I'd still need some sort of RCA -> Optical converter, and that bugs me. I work from home, so my office is also my studio, so it's just packed to the brim; I'd like to avoid extra boxes at all costs :)

Gee, I didn't even know one could buy these until you and Sam mentioned this.

Yeah, they were originally ADAT only, but after requests in that huge thread the devs managed to work their magic and implement it. Kinda cool.

Phew!

I was worried, David, that it'd start a debate of sorts, but thankfully the Monkey Police™ managed to remove the rogue offender in the nick of time. Awesome!

Once again everyone, and this time with harmonies...

David's playing is the bomb
    I know this 'cause I asked my mom!
    Everything he does is great
    From 4/4 to 7/8

OK, so my simian lyric work could use a little polishing, just like those little round things I tend to toss around, but you, my friend, are one talented dood!

Yeah, I did get you, Joe, as evidenced by my reply earlier:

HI dougc84

Im using a standard guitar cable for input to the Kemper
    The TRS cable is the cable between the speakers and the amp.
    XLR one end TRS the other.
    cheers

Doh!

Lucky I didn't have that house to bet, eh? LOL

Only thing I can think of is something in the settings that's prioritising the aux input over the front one... a reamp setting? Not sure if you've explored this yet, or even if the reset would've wiped the pref... but thought I'd mention it nevertheless.

Fingers crossed for you, mate... I mean, AussieJoe,
    AussieNicky

Cool brah.

You did check the AVB line, I take it? I'm referring specifically to the first 8 interfaces on this page:

MOTU.com - Products

MOTU tweaked the ADAT optical I/O on the units to accept S/PDIF through a firmware update. Don't know if that helps you. The mic preamps on those 8 new units (where available) are apparently better than the 828's too...

Whatever you go for, good luck with it and knock 'em dead... I mean, break a leg... I mean, knock 'em dead with your broken leg, Doug!

Great troubleshooting approach, Doug.

Hi dougc84

As per my post to you "with the guitar plugged into the front input jack the output and input light does not illuminate and i dont hear the rig"
    so no, its not registering any activity from the input jack.
    Interesting about the TRS/TS jacks. Ive been using this set up for 6 years running it thru an Axefx, pod hd500x, various VOX and digitech products and never had an issue using the existing cabling. Anyway I appreciate you trying to help me Thanks

It sounds to me as if you dismissed the connector "mismatch", in your mind at least, as being a possible cause of your issue, Joe.

At this point I'd bet my house, if indeed I owned one, that there's nothing wrong with your unit. That would be a great thing, of course, as I too am in Oz and appreciate how bloody long we have to wait for everything!

I actually did laugh out 'loud on that one, Dave. Classic!

You could say I squashed the bejesus out of it with a low threshold and a 4:1 ratio, based on the proportion of content removed.

You can take the Monkey out of the studio, but you can't take the engineer out of the Monkey... or something like that!

Yeah Bazza, it's winter. We've got the shorter days now. It's Down Under brah, so everything's topsy-turvy.

Coldest start to winter in 60 years. Coldest morning the other day in 20. Coldest July in at least 18, and so on. The records keep falling... along with the temperature.

You know, even our summers have been cold these past few years. We usually get 6 or 7 days over 40C, but 3 years ago we only had 3 or 4, then last year 1 or 2, and this year... none! First time since I moved to Aus 34 years ago that this has happened. Heck, we only had 2 days over 35C. Very mild, and definitely not extreme. I've had to figure this sort of stuff out myself 'though, 'cause if it doesn't support Global Warming™, you just don't hear about it in the LameStream™ media in these parts.

Baz, you'd normally be called Baz here. Bazza would be used more when someone's sayin' "Bazzzaaaa!" as if he / she's sayin' he / she's glad to see you. It's the same with Murray. Murray is Muz, and Muz would be Muzza in that scenario. Gary is Gaz, which becomes Gazza. You get the idea. If you forget someone's name you just say "mate".

Sorry I've got nothin' else for ya Baz. Hang in there mate, and GB.

the Hyper Chorus is a 6-voice chorus. with the amount parameter you can scale it down to 4 if that's more to your liking ;)

I know, Don. Thank you.

My DP/4 (I owned several over the years, starting in the early '90s), had an 8-voice chorus. The number of voices is not the point. All I'm saying is that that chorus' sound in the demo I heard was to die for. It was seriously good, and easily the best I've heard on clean guitar in a long while, possibly ever.

It's obviously all in the algorithm. There's nothing wrong with the Kemper's chorus, or any of its effects, for that matter. I've extolled its virtues in this regard many times to many people, saying that they're universally of very high quality and are eminently useable.

That Theta Pro's chorus is truly something special 'though, and I don't think there's any denying this.