Posts by wwgecko

Hi, thought I'd share my attempt at getting the Roland FC300 working nicely with the KPA...(apologies of this common knowledge - its all new to me!)

My goals:
    1 - Allow the use of all 125 100 Performance Slots, and all 5 Slots. (I play in a covers/function band and a Performance per song would be really useful)
    2 - Show a visual indication as to what Performance is loaded
    3 - Show a visual indication as to which Slot is selected.

I managed 2 out of 3 - couldn't figure out no. 3...

Anyway this is what I ended up with:

I used both Patch Mode and Control Mode and press both the Up/Dn pedals at the same time to switch modes.

Patch Mode - Used to select Performances
    Each FC300 Patch is programmed with Pedal On events for Bank Select and Program Change to select Slot 1 of each Performance
    i.e.
    Patch P.001 selects Performance 1 (Slot 1) using CC#32=0, PC=001
    Patch P.027 selects Performance 27 (Slot 1) using CC#32=1, PC=003
    (Note the Bank and Programme Change mapping for Performance above 26 which needs a Bank Select)
    The selected Patch should match the KPA Performance number giving at least a numerical visual match.
    I guess you could program Patch names but we switch our set list around quite often so I didn't want to have to reprogram both the KPA and the FC300 for each gig!

Control Mode - Used to select Slots in the current Performance
    The Pedals 1/6 - 5/10 are assigned to the CC number that selects Slot 1-5 respectively of the currently selected Performance.
    i.e
    Pedal 1/6 is assigned CC#50
    Pedal 5/10 is assigned CC#54

Thats it!

In use, I now press the Up/Dn pedals together to select Patch Mode, then select the Performance I want.
    The, I press Up/Dn together again to select Control Mode and the 1/5 - 5/10 Pedal select the Slot (Intro, Rhythm, Alt Rhythm, Bridge, Lead etc)

It also means I can use the CTL1/2 for Tuner/Tap Tempo and the Expression Pedals for Monitor Volume and Wah/Pitch bend.

Alternative approach
    One other option that may be simpler for live use (but doesn't provide any visual feedback as to which Performance or Slot is select (unless you can read the KPA screen!) is to use the CTL1 and CTL2 pedals for sending Performance Up and Performance Down commands (CC#48 and CC#49).

Thanks everyone!

Zapman - Using about half of the 125 Performances at the moment but the set list keeps growing - probably only play about 35-40 numbers out of that lot in any one gig though.

whippinpost91850 - thanks, will search already whats there then add my two cents/pence worth.

Cheers
    Dave

Hi everyone!

Got my Kemper last week and this forum has been fantastic for usage hints and tips, so thought I'd join and start to contribute!

I'll be using my KPA mainly live in a covers/function band - everything from jazz, funk, folk and rock, so quick switches between styles is key for me! (and has been a pain to date!)

I've also now just about got it set up with my Roland FC300 MIDI Controller (using all 125 Performances and all 5 Slot selections!).
    As a newbie whats the best way to contribute to the forum - just create a new Thread? Or extend and existing one?

Cheers and thanks for all the useful tips!

Dave