Posts by Frodebro

Thanks, interesting information as to why it is not possible to go wrong without being able to understand only with the manual.

It can sometimes be a little bit confusing because the manual will explain what is going on, but for the “quirky” stuff where additional features were squeezed in, it doesn’t always explain why something doesn’t seem to make sense. If you’re new to it and you see a button on the unit that says “reverb,” the natural thing is to assume that it means it turns the reverb on and off. But if you have your reverb in a different slot, the reverb button won’t affect it.

It should be noted that in the beginning, the Mod, Delay, and Reverb slots were not flexible, which is why those slots are named “Mod, Delay, and Reverb”. It was only later that the ability to put any effect in any slot came to be, but the hardware was not changed to reflect this new versatility. Many other things were altered from their intended usage along the way, and as such there are numerous “quirks” to the unit that some may view as “bugs,” but they’re really just quirks. Many here have had our Kempers since before all of these updates, so we were able to learn the new quirks as they came along. For those just getting started with the KPA, there is quite a bit more catching up to do.

The imprints will function with anything plugged into the monitor out or speaker out (for powered KPAs), but are designed to achieve optimal results with the Kemper Kone/Kabinet. I tried them through my Line6 Powercabs, set to flat, and the results were pretty decent.

I have a pair of HS-5s that sat unused for a while after upgrading to HS-8s, but a while back I decided to pull them out and try them with the Kemper. Although I do have the subwoofer to pair with them, I ran them without it just to see how they sounded. To my pleasant surprise, they work extremely well and don't have any weakness in the bottom end at lower volume levels. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that rigs that are dialed in to sound good through a different monitoring system (such as the Kone, or even different studio monitors) will probably not sound optimal through the smaller speakers. A bit of fine tuning might be needed, but nothing major.

I forget which pack it was in, I bought it a few years ago. It's been my go-to set of profiles for a long time. I stumbled across the AC/DC tone accidentally a while back. Almost a clean profile, barely any hair, with a very moderate clean boost in front of it does the trick.

There is very little distortion in Angus's tone, and even less in Malcolm's. That's the first area where people get off the track. I can get really close to their Back In Black era tones with an MBritt '69 Plexi profile, gain fairly low and a boost in front of it (part of Angus's secret sauce is the wireless he uses-including in the studio-that has a hot output that hits the front of his amp pretty hard).

Got everything updated yesterday. For me, these two drives are all I need for the noise that I make, and they work perfectly with my favorite profiles. Now I just need to figure out how to integrate MIDI control into my Keurig and I'll be set for life...

Okay, since there's so much Tele at the moment I'll ask a dumb question.

I've been a Strat guy all my life, currently a plain old '89 American. I bought a new American Tele a year or so back, first one ever. Love the sound but with 10s on both guitars and same setup, the Strat plays easy, the Tele fights me.

Do Teles just inherently have more string tension than Strats? I thought they were the same scale. Or is there just something about this particular critter that makes for such a tight feel?

The tremolo on Strats generally makes them easier to bend notes, as it "gives" a bit. Teles don't give at all-they push back!

It's been a while since I've used it, but I had no problem using my KPA to control my HEX. Make sure both units are using the same MIDI channel, this is probably what is causing the lack of communication between the two units.

Personally, I think I would probably just tune the guitar to Eb and slap a capo on the first fret for the standard tuning songs and remove it for the Eb ones, which leaves only the C# tuning to worry about a software solution for.