Posts by Frodebro

Download the H9 Control app, it's an editor that lays out all of the controls and makes things really easy to dial in. I have two H9s, and I haven't touched a button on them ever.

My experience has been different, though I have three Factor pedals that I have been using with my traditional amps for a long time, so I am extremely familiar with the features and capabilities that are in the Eventide products. For me, the delays in the KPA can't touch those in the Eventides.

What I see in this short vid is the Gain parameter appears to be controlled by an expression pedal. This hits both my happy and sad receptors. Happy, because I spent a good deal of time developing a stand-alone pedal (gain/distortion type) that could migrate from pristine clean to over the top distortion in by simply engaging the pedal in the same manner as a volume pedal. Sad because it kind of negates the need for my pedal research. Think Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time" build-up and you can start to imaging how useful this can be. Or, think of how Jeff Beck so masterfully uses his volume knob. Jeff's rig is set up with gobs of gain but he rarely goes flat out, instead preferring to use the gain to help punctuate the mood of his solos. Using the expression pedal to control the gain allows for a HUGE amount of variable in a single preset. Rather than switching from a clean preset to high gain preset, we would now be able to gain the full range from one profile. Pretty useful stuff!

MIDI CC#72 already allows you to control the gain with an expression pedal, I use it on a number of presets (using a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro).

Rig Manager stores files separately from the Kemper unit itself, so profiles that are in the folders other than the "My Profiler" folder are saved on your computer but not in the Kemper itself (which is why you can't see them on the Kemper screen).

Most of the pedals I use are in a small rack case that the KPA sits on top of. Those pedals are controlled by midi commands sent from the KPA. Helps me have a small footprint in front of me. Don't know about the M13 as far as being midi controlled, but if it can be, rack it!

I have both H9s in the same rack as my KPA, each of the three units being on a separate MIDI channel. My controller is a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro, and it is configured to send individual program changes to each unit depending on what I want for each overall preset, which makes setup fairly simple.

I'm a long-time Eventide user and when I bought my KPA I found that the delays and reverbs weren't quite what I was used to, so I'm running a pair of H9s in the loop. I'm sure that down the road those effects will be updated in the Kemper (and at that point I'll probably ditch the external effects), but until then I'm happy with this configuration.

For stereo effects the input is the left channel and the alternate input is the right, so you need to connect the two outputs of your stereo effects to both of these inputs (don't use the XLR).

Plugging the speaker output (the jack with the red nut on it) will damage powered monitors, but the main and monitor outputs are line level and perfectly safe to plug into your monitors. I have a power rack as well, but normally run it into a pair of powered monitors.

My initial impression of my Kemper was actually rather lackluster, meaning I wasn't completely blown away in the beginning. It took a week or two of playing around with it to get a feel for what all of the parameters did before I started thinking "Okay, there's something to this thing that is pretty different and cool." It took another week or so of surfing through all of the profiles available on the Rig Exchange before I finally found some profiles that made my ears perk up. Finally, I dipped my toes into a few commercial packs, and that's when I was finally 'blown away'. Obviously what works for me may not be ideal for somebody else so I wouldn't even try to recommend any profiles to anybody else, but I can say that the magic truly lies in the profiles themselves, and if you're patient with it you'll find your own perfect sounds.