Posts by Frodebro

That's true but regardless of the Piano the guitar sounds were terrible in the parts where there was no Piano. It's easy to dismiss and blame the mix, the sound guy, but why can't it be simply because the AXE FX isn't up to the task of hanging with a drummer and bass or in a band situation all together.

I've heard plenty of clips where the Axe-FX sounded great, and I've heard plenty that I personally didn't care for. I don't think it's fair to judge the Fractal based solely on one clip any more than it would be to judge the Kemper on one questionable profile.

Yes, tweaking is almost always necessary to get somebody else's profile to sound the way you want it to with your guitar and speakers/monitors. I often run an EQ in both the A slot (to shape the guitar sound) and the X slot (to fine tune things). That's in addition to playing with all the different settings in the stack.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well the point I'm making is you really don't need to spend $2500 to get the AXE FX if you want standard amp modeling with variety of amps. Here's a video of the Eleven Rack matching exactly to a road king. There are many tools that can get the Job done.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Fractal is a heck of a lot more than just amp models, though. It's effects are among the best out there, and combined with the routing capabilities it's in a completely different league from most of the other modelers on the market.

The like for like test would only really be possible with the Kemper! And then only within the profiling session.
    That way you'd know that the mic'd cab was the one that's been captured with the same mic positions.
    Any other comparison is kind of pointless!

I think the comparisons are pointless to begin with. Either something works for you or it doesn't- who cares if it gets some sort of internet approval rating.

Yep. Again, it can be configured in a few different ways, obviously it's going to be a mono signal no matter what you do with it. You can also run a 'direct out', which is just your straight guitar signal with no amps or effects at all. Recording this on its own track will allow you to use an amp plug-in (such as Guitar Rig) to get a different amp sound from the same performance.

Yes, TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) is just another term for 1/4" instrument jacks and plugs. Guitar/instrument cables work fine. If you have a powered Kemper, the only output that is run through the power amp is the speaker out (with the red locknut on it). The main outputs and monitor output are all line level and any can be run directly into your interface. You can configure the outputs for dry/wet, but I don't recall which menu sets this up as I haven't messed with those parameters much.

I'm running an Eventide H9 in the loop (post amp), and haven't had any issues with tone loss or volume drops. Before I bought the H9 I was using a Timefactor and Space, and again no issues. Some effects (usually stomp boxes) are designed for instrument-level signals, and don't play well with line-level effects loops at all (I had this problem with a BOSS DD-3).

Just use the main outputs on the Kemper (XLR or TRS) into the inputs on your interface. If you're running the XLR outs into your interface with microphone cables, be aware that the outputs on the Kemper are NOT mic-level, so you're going to want the gain down (or padded) on your interface or you'll overdrive it.

I saw another post on the gearpage where someone observes that AXE FX users no longer compare the New firmware to the actual amp, but they compare it to previous firmware. All the fan boys voted that post up, indicating that they no longer question how close it is to the real amp, presumably because it's been like amps a long time ago and now it's just getting better! At least that's how I understood.it .

Someone needs to tell these guys to show one and only one comparison where Fractal actually compared the AXE FX to the original Amps it models. Based on what I've seen, most if not all the modeling is done only based on paper schematics and those amps are long gone, if they were ever used.
    I'm not sure if I'm in the minority, but I truthfully never liked the sound of the AXE FX, it always sounded too high fi and artificial to my ears. Before Kemper came out, sometime in 2010 or 2011 I bought the Eleven Rack and thought it felt and sounded better than the AXE FX.

That was me that posted that. It really isn't exclusively about the Axe-FX, but more an observation that modeling has finally started reaching a point of acceptance on its own merits. I don't really care if my KPA or any of my modelers sound exactly like some specific amplifier, all that I care about is that they sound really good in the applications I use them in. Which they do.

It's not really anything sinister or greedy, it's just that all companies that own trademarks must protect those trademarks in order to keep them. So if they stand back and don't say anything, they are risking losing the rights to them and somebody else can start using them with no recourse. Usually they won't go any further than a 'cease and desist' letter from their legal team.

Yes, that is today. But it certainly was not the behaviour in the past. Just give it some time -- esp when the Helix gets released. I am sure the Fractal fanboys will be out in full force to badmouth the unit and tell us all again how much better the Axe-FX is ...

There is a small handful of them that are definitely waving that flag loud and proud, but not really as many as I have seen in the past. Scott actually recently mentioned to one of them that his condescending attitude (toward non-Fractal products) was causing some issues with others.

I guess if you're actively looking for something you'll find it every time, but I don't ever log on there with the anticipation of encountering that stuff, so maybe it just slips under my radar where somebody who is thinking about it will notice it more. Really, though, just about every forum has a small group of people that adhere to certain beliefs that they get all worked up about. One forum I frequent has such a group, the "Nobody ever needs more than fifteen watts, and if you do you're playing too loud" group. I just let all of that stuff roll by without allowing it to bother me.