Posts by mikedespres

Can I just be extremely clear here, I'm fully aware of all of the different profiles and what they're made of:

Yes it should be stickied that the merge button is only used for profiling, didn't know that before. In my case however I don't use that button, I have just pressed it before to see what it did - mentioned it because the sound does change.

This thread is not supposed to be a question of merged vs studio etc. It's more my excitement of finding a better tone by using DI profiles with separate studio cabs rather than a full merged profile.

I might have missed something here. You are using cabs with DI profiles which profiles are intended to use without cab, i.e. with a guitar cab...I don't get it. unless you intend to use a DI profile adding to it a cab of the cab section. am I correct?

Yeah I'm using DI profiles that you're supposed to be using with real cabs with studio cabs.

Merged profiles are a DI profile + a cab (created by the merging method which is better than the old one in order to separate amp and cab). You get the DI profile + a cab and switching the cab off, you get exactly the sound of the original DI profile.

I disagree with this, I feel there is something missing - perhaps it was the profiles I was using, I don't know. Also when you press the merge button the sound changes?

I do know that CK said if one did profiles themselves then one would know that there is no difference. However I've never profiled successfully, my comment goes more towards the merged profile packs from the R.E./vendors.

I know this isn't exactly what the original request was about, but including Studio EQ in the Cab section would be most useful, at least I think so. Then you could tweak it on the fly, if necessary. And you could save different Cab+EQ combinations to the Cab presets.

+1

and +1 on the original idea

Yes this is about studio/merged/di profiles...again. Sorry!

Using SinMix's Producer Pack 1 I saved all of the Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cabs that had more than 1 microphone on them and then just slapped them on all the SinMix's DI profiles, WOW. The sound is just amazing, perfect tight modern metal tones and I don't have to modify anything. I just change the cab from the selection that I've saved and pick one that suits the amp. It's awesome, no faffing around!

Does anyone else do this - use DI profiles with studio profiled cabs?
    Definitely not feeling merged profiles anymore, I want more awesome DI packs!

Just read that the 'monitor out' has the same feed as the 'speaker out' - just a silly question:

Does this mean I can use the monitor out to power a passive normal guitar cab? If it does then is there any difference in sound?

I would have thought this isn't possible, surely?
    (I have the powered rack).

I agree with @Gandalf_The_Blond

"As for a better technology replacing a worse one, this is completely ethical. I would think this is so obvious that it does not need to be
    mentioned. Yet Henning's argument seems to lead to a kind of protectionism for amp builders. This is both unethical, and anti
    civilization/progress."

If you take a look at amp manufacturers like Hughes & Kettner and look at the awesome features they incorporate into their tube amps, multiple effects, presets, DI out and so much more - no one is commenting on their "ethics" on copying how modellers and digital devices operate with multiple effects and presets... it's not an issue. I appreciate this maybe a weak point but it's interesting to just have a quick look from a different angle.

I use a green scream set to neutral:

<0.0> drive
    -2.5 tone
    <0.0> volume

With my PRS 7 string loaded with BKP Ceramic Nailbombs (medium gain pickups) going into a medium gain direct profile (into cab) with a post eq HPF on 87hz and LPF on 5.1kHz. This sounds incredible at high volumes, so clear, no fizz or treble at all, none. Low gain = perfect for modern metal IMHO.

In regards to the green screen, it fattens it up as you'd expect and makes it 'stronger'.

Sorry for double post:

This only happens to me when I play live through a cab and lock the cab off. I was informed by further emails that turning on "monitor cab off" in the output section does the job instead meaning I don't have to lock the cab. Don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place...

Here is the email:

"if you activate "Monitor Cab Off" in Output Menu that could perhaps do the job. It globally deactivates the cabinet simulation, however just for the MONITOR OUTPUT. So you wouldn't need to lock the switched off Cabinet Module. If you need it switched off for other outputs as well, this would not be sufficient.

The Remote can stay connected. You just need to remember: If you for example switch off CAB and DELAY, and turn up Presence in Slot 2 of any Performance and then move to Slot 3 using the Remote before storing the Performance those edits will be withdrawn. If you move to Slot 3 using the Rig Navigation Cross instead on the right side of the front panel, the edits will be kept.

Sincerely,
    Burkhard Dinnies
    Kemper Amps Support Team"

I've sent my backup to kemper and they say it's a known problem:

"sorry, there is a known issue, which is currently under investigation. We can provoke it, if we combine a few things:
    1. lock the CABINET in Performance Mode
    2. while editing switch Slots via Remote or MIDI
    Do you have same conditions?

In the meantiem I would recommend not to edit and switch Slots remotely. This is anyhow no good practice, because remote Slots switching is interpreted as switchign during a live performance, therefor the edits are also seen as temporary changes and withdrawn. While editing Performances on the front panel you should also navigate with the front panel through Slots and Performances.

Sincerely,
    Burkhard Dinnies
    Kemper Amps Support Team"

I've had further confirmation that this will be fixed in 4.0 through the Kemper facebook group.

I appreciate the fast response and that we're getting a fix but this is really annoying, especially because I didn't backup my awesome clean slots :( more annoyed at myself!