Posts by Vaughnfats

Kulle_Wumpenteich
    The black trim has been there since I first met the guitar. I can't say what may have been on it from the factory, but none of us remember anything but the black rings and the lack 'o guard. My experience with Gibson is that out of the norm combinations, from trim colors to machines to top figuring, are not uncommon. I have a '93 Standard hangin' round my neck at this very moment that left the factory with gold hardware and a set of Grovers on it. Rumor is that 100 or less went out that way... Who knows for sure, I certainly don't. It just adds more mystery to the Gibson mystique... If the '77 were actually mine? Yeah, I'd probably replace all the trim with the cream stuff. The Wine Red looks beautiful that way!

Thanks Monkey... I hope I didn't dredge up anything horrible. I try to hold on to the best memories of my life and put the bad in a box and lock it. It's not always easy, but remember the best and forgive the rest. Good thoughts bring good things...

Some really pretty guitars here!!

I'll try to keep this story brief...

30 or so years ago I met a very special friend. He was a true renaissance man. An intellectual, an incredible craftsman (arguably one of the finest machinists and metal shapers in the world) and a very expressive musician. He was a great friend to me and from him I learned about and was exposed to many things I would have otherwise missed. He had a great impact on the way I listen to and play music. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed his friendship and artistic approach to life. Unfortunately, after a long battle with depression and substance abuse of the worst kind, he took his own life. It was a shock. Since then (15 years or so) the whereabouts of some of his instruments have remained a mystery and there are some still to be found. However... I recently had a client come in to my shop with four cases in his truck. In a plain jane SKB case I found this..

My late friend's '77 Les Paul Deluxe! It took me an entire afternoon of hand buffing to find the grain and the fretboard had a layer of God knows what on it that was three feet thick, but she cleaned up real nice. There's still some fret left (wasn't much on these when they left the factory during the Norlin years) and the neck is dead on with no rise in the tongue. It plays great and has an absolutely wonderful, harmonically mega-rich tone. The old minis are as microphonic as I am fat, but they're staying in there and I'm NOT potting them. This lady is too sweet to change...

When my client left he grabbed up his cases and, apparently understanding my attachment to the LSP, said I could keep it as long as I like... I nearly cried... To have this instrument in my care even for the time it took to get her restored was a very special thing for me. To have her in my foster care is a dream come true...

So... RIP Johnny, I've got her and she's safe and happy... Love you, man!!

Wouldn't this be a matter of just muting the send only when the loop is deactivated? I've started to integrate some external gear via the loop and would love to have the trails issue (both on loop on and loop off toggles) cleaned up. As usual, as with most everyone here, I'm not crying about anything... I still own the best piece of guitar gear ever invented.

Virango!!! Your are the man... Major props to you for the work and and a very clean alpha! For my needs Toaster is already there.

Thanks from the bottom of my largeness!

Since you're not accepting anything at this time maybe I could make a donation in your name to an organization that's special to you?

I have found that increasing sensitivity levels often gives me a more sonically desirable increase in gain structure than working with the actual gain control. I like the fact that midrange structure seems to be better retained this way, especially with vintage amp profiles. Finer gain adjustments seem easier as well. I've found this more satisfactory to my taste than using boosts in the stomp section and I like my simple, stomp free, KRemote and Mission expression pedal setup. The input sense doesn't seem to color anything at all and feels much more organic... I'd love to be able to morph the settings.

Or is it all in my head? Sometimes the voices drown things out...

I've been using a Mission Gemini 2 since I got the Kemper and am thrilled with it. I've primarily played combo amps and with the top rear panel removed I'm very happy with the impact.

Pros - PLENTY of volume - Very good low end response with no flab - Smooth overall frequency response, especially with Pure Cab at 5 or better. Upper mids and highs cut nicely!

Cons - Pricey - Heavy - Fan noise take a bit of getting used to. (Not an issue on stage, I only notice it when the practice room is silent)

I couldn't be happier with it overall. The sound is top notch, I get plenty of real cab impact and the feature set is great.