Posts by Vaughnfats

I was going to stay out of this... Remarks here are only in regard to the ethics question, not the integrity, performance or desirability of The coolest piece of gear I've ever owned!!

Although I agree that the question concerning the "ethics of profiling" is one that may need to be addressed, I disagree entirely with any conclusion that it is "stealing".

As several people have already mentioned the KPA only "clones" a particular moment in time. All conditions present in that moment are, just as with a photograph, ultimately crucial. Amp settings, cab, mic placement, the room, etc. Not mention the outboard specifics of the session (preamps, processing, blah...) and the skill and experience of the profiler. Snap. Just like a photograph, there's your "moment". From there, although it is possible to fairly approximate some of the amps behavior with the available control set, just like the photo, you can only go so far before the soul of the moment is no longer present. To capture the entire soul of the amp you could work for an infinite number of lifetimes trying to snap every possible combination of settings and the result would still not be a clone. It will be a collection of representative photographs. Reproducing the amps DNA using the KPA's current technology is impossible.

Have not heard it live yet, and made the purchase based on research & YouTube. I'm curious though - with 7,000+ available profiles in the rig exchange, is there a problem with addiction to profile hoarding?

Seems like there would be, as that's an insane number!

HAH! Addiction? Nah... More like psychotic obsession!! In November of last year I had bypass surgery and, although I was planning on retiring from the straight world in December anyway, my time has since been my own. Here's to a lifetime of Sundays!! However... I find that I'm suffering from an acute case of what I have named "Wheedlus Rigitosis". I have previewed EVERY rig on the exchange, purchased a huge pile of commercial rigs (all of the professional profilers have some awesome stuff available!), downloaded whatever I found in the forums (thanks in particular to djemass for his Mesa collection and M.Pausio for his FANTASTIC set of WAY COOL Teisco's, etc.) and I now have over 10,000 rigs to sort. These have been reorganized into branded folders (275 folders, in fact) and I am now culling those with a half dozen different guitars trying to get to a personal collection that I can use for anything that comes my way.

Downside? My wife refers to my Kemper as my mistress...
    Upside? I haven't played this much since I was a teenager and I'm having more fun than humans should be allowed to have!! Anything that keeps a guitar in your hands is a good thing, right?

Best piece of gear I've ever purchased and yes, this is the sharpest community of users I've ever been around. If I wind up needing therapy I'm sending the bill to Christoph!

Hats of to all of you!!

I just uploaded a pile of profiles from my first run Cyber-Twin. All are from the "Your Amp Collection" bank and I only did the FAN branded presets. I tried to keep the baseline sound of the C-Twin as faithfully reproduced as possible and compared them side by side at a small venue level using my Mission 212 FRFR. I left 'em mid-rangy, bright, crunchy and a bit nasty! They all have a very narrow footprint for recording but a quick tweak of definition, compression and cab setting will warm 'em up with a quickness. Dialing down guitar volume cleans 'em up nicely (with the exception of the Prosonic) and they take stomps very nicely.

They're raw... Tweak 'em!!

And... Hello BTW! I'm Fats and I've been lurking here for months. I'm very pleased to be a Kemper owner and have found that you guys are, without a doubt, the classiest group of gear heads on the net! Nice to be around a group of people who spend they're web time talking tone instead of whining about not liking the color of someone else's guitar!!

But I digress...

I'm anxious for any feedback you guys might have. I've spent a lifetime in retail, around musicians and the worldwide aviation community, so please... Don't pull any punches! I have Rhino skin and I welcome the harshest critique. Hell, I'll take 'em down if you hate 'em!!

Cheers!

Fats