Posts by jabromusic

I just wanted to let everyone know (in case you already didn't) that you will be 100% responsible for shipping costs on a return when you order directly from Kemper. I recently ordered a Kemper Powered Kabinet directly from Kemper USA and decided to stick with my Neumann KH-120 studio monitors. I emailed Kemper USA a couple of days later and it took them a week to respond back to me simply stating to return the Kabinet for a full refund. I've returned gear in the past and most companies will issue either a UPS or FedEx return label. Not so with Kemper. I was fully responsible for the UPS shipping cost of $116.56. Just a heads up because I wasn't aware of this policy.

Well, I got my Kemper Power Kabinet today and...... it's going back. It's definitely not a bad product. It's lightweight and is definitely loud enough to hang with a full band. It was just too different sounding than my studio monitors and I would've had to reprogram all of the profiles that I use with my band (40-50 of them). I've tweaked my profiles through my Neumann KH-120 studio monitors over the last few years and they all sound amazing when I use them live direct to FOH every weekend. I thought that the Powered Kabinet would sound similar and possibly need some minimal EQ tweaking via the monitor EQ, but it was just too different. I tried it in FRFR mode as well as using it with imprints and I basically got the same results so it's going back home. Just thought that I would share my experience.

I think you'll have some work to do to tweak things in advance. Some patches might sound better, some worse.

Since the Kemper kabinet will now be providing the cab portion you'll need to set the right speaker type for each of your patches.

Try to keep the kabinet a reasonable distance from you. Too close and the speaker won't sound as expected to you.

Experiment with the Kone settings at rehearsal as well to make it more or less dispersed.

There won't be any rehearsals. :) If my patches already sound amazing through my studio monitors and through FOH, won't they sound great through the Kabinet once I have the right speaker types selected?

Hello my fellow Kemper brothers and sisters. I've been using my unpowered Kemper Rack with my event band in NYC for a few years now. We all use IEM's (no amps on stage) and I've tweaked my patches at home using my Neumann KH-120 studio monitors. My patches sound amazing both through my monitors at home as well as through FOH.

I have some gigs coming up with a few other bands who don't use IEM's (they all use real amps onstage) and I just purchased a Powered Kabinet to use live with these other bands.

I want to use my existing patches that I always use and still send a direct signal to the FOH like I normally do. What is the most common way to configure the Kemper with the Powered Kabinet for live use in my situation? Thanks!

I've noticed that this happens when the power at the venue is insufficient. It's happened multiple times on gigs where we are playing outdoors running power off of a generator. We also just played at a place in Long Island City, NY at a place with "dirty" power and it happened again.

Awesome! Please get back to us with a full report after your gig.

I can't imagine 200 watts with the speaker generally pointed toward you wouldn't work on anything except the loudest of loud stages. If it doesn't.....I (genuinely) hope you're using ear protection. :)

I've routinely used half that wattage with a solid-state power amp with a 112 and had zero trouble hearing myself. Didn't have to push the amp past 4.

Yeah, I hope so but 200 watts of solid state power can be very deceiving when it comes to clean headroom. I play in (and sub for) some of the top event bands in the NYC area and most of what we play is dance/R&B/funk/Motown music where the guitar needs to be very clean with almost no breakup. Most of the bands have 3-4 singers, 2-3 horns, & a full rhythm section plus percussion. The singers all have monitor wedges (which basically just end up hitting the rhythm section behind them :) ) so we're constantly competing to hear ourselves. I have a 40 watt Redplate tube amp that can hang in these situations but I'm still pretty skeptical when it comes to 200 watts of solid state power. I hope I'm wrong though!

Looking forward to actually hearing this thing. I really hope that it can hold up in a gig situation with a full band and horn section. Could be a game-changer for a lot of us.