Posts by jabromusic

Gee, looking around the 'net, it appears to have been discontinued.

There's no mention of this on the Rode site 'though, so as I suggested, I'll ring them on Monday and get back to you. I'm so sorry if it turns out that they are indeed no more; hopefully you'll still consider a 2nd-hand purchase.

I'm so proud of Rode's achievement with these things. Conceived from the ground up with all parts designed and manufactured in-house in Australia, the product is uber-professional in look, feel, mass, operation and performance.

thanks again MM!

Internet myth. There was a fella over at BeerGutz who seemed Hell-bent on cutting these things down, and IMHO, that fed scepticism, which in turn resulted in repeated claims from folks who knew nothing of them that they'd been discontinued.
    In fact, the tweeters are now constructed of a slightly-different alloy as a result of a break in supply from a factory in Japan due to the tsunami. Manufacturing was temporarily-suspended, but only until an appropriate alternative surfaced. If you inspect pre-tsunami photographs of the monitors and compare the tweeters' colour with post-tsunami units, you'll see that one set is more-silver-looking, and the other a slightly-bronzish colour. Also, the woofer's surround is now a slightly-different shape. Functionally and sound-spec-wise, there has been no change in performance since day dot.

I could ring my guy at Rode and ask him directly what the stock / manufacturing situation is right now if you like (on Monday), but unless I'm mistaken, my guess is that you've stumbled across a ripple that resulted from the confusion that arose out of the tsunami incident.

Mine are exactly 3 feet from my head, my ears lining up with the top of the woofer, which is approximately half-way up (the mid-point) of the monitors. Absolutely-perfect for me. The thing is, if you're running them on, say, the #1 setting I spoke of, you'll still get that superb full-range experience, even when only using a tiny bit of that already-narrowed volume range. Their sound doesn't change, even when pushed to ridiculous levels, 'cause of that over-engineered paradigm for each component that I spoke of. This over-speccing also results in ridiculously-clean transients 'cause of the way the drivers are matched with the amps. Headroom for miles and miles.
    I did have my sights set on a set of BM5 and later BM6As for many years; they are very-good monitors, no doubt. The Opals, however, are in a different league.

thanks again for the info on the opal's. i didn't know anything about the gear slutz forum fiasco until now. i had checked sweetwater and a few other online retailers and they all say that they're no longer available:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Opal

http://www.musiciansfriend.com…y-750-watt-active-monitor

https://www.amazon.com/Event-O…ve-Monitors/dp/B0020J23L8

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVEOPAL

Only thing i can think of to match that (Nicky's) would be ..Iloud Micro monitors

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ash

thanks for the info ash! i've never heard of these. i just wonder how accurate they would be

thanks for the response! i'm guessing that you're talking about the event opal 8" monitors? i just did a little research and it looks like that they've been discontinued. i think they would be on the big side of things though. i'm looking for something a little smaller since these monitors will be sitting on a desk about 3 feet away from my head

hey guys/gals,
    here's my situation. i have a pretty regular gig with a great club date
    band that uses in-ear monitors when we play live. i've been using my
    kemper with this band for a while now and have been tweaking all of my
    live patches while using headphones! (a big no-no, i know). they are
    AKG K240 DF's so they are studio headphones and are VERY flat and
    uncolored EQ-wise. i live in a small apartment and would like to get a
    pair of high quality studio monitors for patch tweaking and general home
    enjoyment. i was originally thinking about getting an RCF HD-12A FRFR
    since these are the exact speakers that this band uses while playing
    live, but there's NO WAY i will ever be able to crank them up at gig
    level in my apartment. (so please no recommedations on FRFR speakers).

i'm looking for some small studio monitors that will accurately
    reproduce at a bedroom volume what my guitar tones will sound like
    through a full PA system at gig levels. i saw that the neumann KH120A's
    were very highly regarded as well as the equator D5's. does anyone
    have any experience with these or other great sounding monitors? thanks
    in advance!

jack

I have a similar issue. I have pretty good headphones that I mix with, in a room to the side of my church's stage. However, when I use my westone ear-buds the guitar sounds thin and harsh comparatively. However when I use my Bose $100 ear buds, I like the sound of my guitar and it sounds similar to by big headphones that I mix with. For practice I prefer to use the Westones because of the clarity and the ability to pick out what the other musicians are doing, which is important since I'm the music director and responsible to make sure everything is working (as I work with about 15 musicians that serve one or two weekends a month each and we do 5 different songs each week with about 35-40 songs in our recent repotoire, thus each weekend with a different team and set list) However, for the services, I use my Bose. It doesn't block as much room sound as the westones and lets me feel more connected.
    Thus if you are confident that what the house hears sounds good like when you mixed and can hear what you need you hear to perform well, it comes down to whether you can live with a harsh sound.

so, would the ultimate solution be to invest $600-$800 on a great set of IEM's? i have friends that use high quality IEM's that love them and are satisfied with their guitar tones with them

Did you spend some time in rehearsals with the band or just bring your Kemper to the gig and go in cold? Sounds like the latter which is pretty ballsey. Guitar on its own vs in a band setting vs even the actual gig is hard to judge as the dynamics change.

nope. no rehearsals. i've played with this band before both using my axe fx II (which has since been sold) and my tech 21 flyrig. i was pretty sure that it would work since the patches that i tweaked sounded amazing with my IEM's through the headphone jack

Is it the same inears you're using to tweak your patches? If yes, then the problem must lie between the main out and the desk. Check the output level. The KPA main outs are very hot. I recommend a value of around -15 to -20 dB, if you're going in to a mic preamp input. The sound of the output distorting can be very similar to the sound of the KPA with Cabs off.

yes, i had the main out running at -18dB. i also had them unlinked from the master volume. my clean patches weren't distorting though. they were just thin and bright sounding. the gain patches however sounded very nasty- almost like the cabinet was set to off

hello my fellow KPA'ers. i'm hoping that you can help me out. i've been subbing regularly with a band that uses IEM's as their primary way of monitoring. i got my KPA about a month ago and purchased some of the m. britt profile packs (which are amazing). i've spent the last 2 weeks tweaking about 10 patches that sound phenomenal through the headphone jack using headphones. last night i took the KPA out on it's maiden voyage with this band and the results were less than spectacular. first off, part of the problem is that i had my volume pedal placed pre-stomps, which meant that my higher gain patches were almost clean. i've since moved the volume pedal to the pre-effects position where i vastly prefer it.

my main problem was that all of my patches that sounded great through the headphone jack were very thin sounding through my IEM's. the gain patches (after i fixed the placement of the volume pedal) were very harsh and gritty sounding- almost like the cabinet was bypassed. i checked to make sure that the KPA was configured correctly. i was coming out of the left "main" output via XLR and had the KPA set to "main mono". the cabinet light was definitely lit and i made sure to tell the soundman to set the EQ flat in my IEM's.

i don't have an FRFR speaker or access to a PA system but i'm not sure that i would need to tweak the KPA with either since this band only uses IEM's as monitors. is there something that i'm missing or have overlooked? i can't believe that the tone would be THAT much different coming out of the headphone jack than it would coming out of the main output.

i just heard back from timo (an administrator on the KPA forum). here's what he had to say:

"Hi Jack,

I was able to reproduce and fix the issue. Actually, it is just an display issue, so the assignment actually works. The number is not displayed when you're skipping fast through the rigs.

The fix will be in version 3.0.4.

Thanks
    Timo"

hi sean,
    ah, i understand now. yes, when i use the parameter knob to scroll through my PC assignments, the correct patches are shown with the correct PC assignments

I had the same idea but solved it another way. I programmed some more IAs. If I want a compressor in slot 1 that lowers the gain a lot so a crunchy sound becomes clean, I named the IA slot "cleaner". So in the end I´ve got some more IA slots with the same cc#.

i figured out why it wasn't letting me create my own IA label names. in the LF editor, you have to go to the "IA slots" page. in the column on the left there is a button called "preset label" where you assign numbers to the corresponding IA slots. once you do this, you can go to your individual presets on the "presets" page and name your IA's whatever you like