Posts by wtheobald

Sounding great! Definitely close enough to Robben's tone for me.

If you're looking to get his sound even closer try adding more of those short staccato notes in your playing. To me that quick chrip sound he uses is one of the main things that always stands out in his playing to me (or the playing of people trying to sound like him).

Fabulous tone, technique, phrasing - you've certainly got Robben Ford nailed... great job! And so relaxed!

I personally use a Michael Britt rig labelled Dumb ODS FB for my Robben Ford tone. Your's may sound better. I'm curious which rig of Michael's you are using if you don't mind my asking, and if you've made any other tweaks to it besides lowering the gain a bit. I can't quite read your display.

Thanks again for posting that gem!

Thanks guys! The rig is labeled "Dumble F ODS FORD" and the gain is the only thing I changed. It is at 4 instead of the normal 6.2.

For some reason the pickups in my Les Paul seem to work well with his profiles. His profiles are dark with all my other guitars so I usually increase the definition setting in the amp section a bit.

I record the guitars dry so the bit of reverb and delay you hear is added on after in Pro Tools. The reverb is just the stock D-Verb on large plate and the delay is just an eighth note with a few repeats (very low volume)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Did another video on a transcription that I worked out last year. This one is Robben Ford's solo on Misdirected Blues.

Using a Dumble patch from Michael Britt with just the gain dialed down. I was switching back between my version and the original and I think it got pretty close to his famous sound.

Hey man,

That sounds awesome! I'm a huge Paisley Buff and that sounded spot on to me. Great playing. I'm gonna check out the lesson part later on today and re-learn that solo!

Thanks for sharing

Thanks! You can really nail his vibe with those trainwreck patches and a slapback delay. I used a bit to much gain compared to the recording but I think it sounds closer to the live stuff I've heard from him

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Decided to put up a video of a cool Brad Paisley transcription I was working on. Uses a trainwreck patch from M Britt with a slapback delay (~150ms, 1 repeat).

Is there a way to lock the front 'amp control' knobs of the Kemper when in performance mode? I tried using the lock button but it seemed to just lock the settings so it doesn't change with the patch changes. I've had a few shows where the bottom knobs have gotten bumped (seems to usually happen to the controls at the edge, gain/volume) and I don't realize it until the gig is underway and I'm struggling to pull the normal sounds out of it. I only use one performance during the show

Another similar issue I have had was with the tuner mode and the reference pitch knob. Is there a way to just disable the ability to change this? Luckily for this one I accidentally moved it a lot so it was immediately apparent. But I don't want to think about how long it would have taken me to notice if it was a small change :D

Last week I was messing around improvising pop songs as solo guitar pieces and came up with a fun version of the Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever". Using some interesting chord voicings and behind the nut bends to make it sound a bit different. I used one of Bert Meulendijk's NC30 clean profiles with delay and reverb.

Hope you like!

I bought the new pack minutes after getting your email! Loving all the new stuff.

One amp I haven't seen people mentioning is how good the Gibson amp you profiled works. The clean sounds great, but I'm loving the driven profiles with my archtop. Can get an awesome vintage Charlie Christian or Bob Wills western swing type sound. Very fun to play with!

EDIT: I see you mentioned Scott Henderson at the bottom of the W-bar-lesson page. Way to go man. Great taste. Discovered him in the early '90s when he was doing Tribal Tech with Gary Willis et al, and have appreciated his playing ever since.

His playing is great! I love the combination of the classic guitar tone with the modern harmony/lines he uses in his playing.

Have been listening to that new Jeff Beck album all week and decided to do a video on a few whammy bar ideas. He can get a cool almost slide guitar effect using the whammy bar that I always love hearing

Did a couple of new ones the last two weeks! A couple country rhythm guitar ideas to try out this week

Great stuff. And greatly appreciated.. How did your gig go?

They all went really well! Used a very nice Princeton Reverb profile from M Britt for the entire show. Sounded just like my very temperamental '66 on one of its good days!

Hoping to get comfortable with the remote soon and maybe give it a try the next time I fill in at a smaller bar/club show. Haven't yet got the hang of getting the Kemper's effects to sound up to my Nobels ODR-1/Klon/Memory Man yet, but I'm sure those sounds are in there somewhere :thumbup:

Wes

This week I did some rockabilly playing! A chorus solo over a swinging blues in E. Used M Britt's 'Vibro King' profile with some slapback delay on the lead guitar track. Some Brian Setzer-inspired lines, travis picking, and a bunch of fun double stops!
    http://westheobald.com/5-rockabilly-guitar-licks/

External Content www.youtube.com

Thanks guys! I have a lot of fun learning making this videos. The Kemper makes all of my recording way too easy!

Tonight is gonna be the first time I am using it out live. I used it at two rehearsals so far and was amazed at how good it sounded with the band. Have been taking baby steps getting it into live use. Gonna use my real pedalboard into the Kemper into a backline cabinet tonight. Still need to get more confident with setting up and working the remote before I go full Kemper, but I can't wait to be able to just show up with the Kemper bag and a guitar :thumbup:

Went with a radio/pop-rock theme this week. Features a few ways to spice up simple, singable melodies with drones, repetition, and octaves as well as a couple fast, flashy licks. Hope you like it! You can find a PDF download of the full notation/TAB, more writing about each lick, and a backing track of the rhythm section in the video to play to on my website: http://westheobald.com/5-pop-rock-guitar-licks/

Great stuff! Do a rock one if you can :love:

Was already planning on it for next week :thumbup: Going to focus on a few ways I approach building a solo over a pop-rock tune.

If he can? I think he might just be able to manage it, Anthony.

You might want to correct this if you're a stickler for details, Wes.

Thank you so much for posting this stuff!

Whoops! Fixed, thank you!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the video last week! I made another video teaching some ideas to help play over a jazz blues in Bb:

On my website you can find some more writing about each lick and get a PDF download of the notation and TAB. I also added a looped backing track (about 4:30) of the rhythm section in the video that you can download as well!
    http://westheobald.com/5-jazz-blues-guitar-licks/

Let me know what you think!
    Wes