Posts by Nikos

True enough.

But then you should meet this drummer guy I play with that I've known since kindergarten. No less than 3 vintage Neil Peart posters and 2 Rush silk flags hanging in his practice space. Things get weird (and really fun) in an all-fired hurry.

That sounds like a lots of fun!!

Perfect description of want I want to say.

But who will play in a prog-rock band without tons of fx;;

In this case ofcourse I would use BOTH of my bigger KPAs (rack & toaster) with the remote and 4 expressions pedals for the ultimate excessive fx-morph war..

But when I go for a jam most likely will not write the next 20 minutes epic in rock history..Most likely you will do spontaneous blues and rock jams in a more or less "usual context". Same for a small coffeehouse/bar gig.

Exactly..

In the 80s as a kid all my buddies went full berserk on eddie and ingwie.

My older brother one day brought a very old rolling stone magazine and told me "read that article" which was about Clapton and some other legends talking about the "Paul Kossoff vibrato"..

Imagine today playing fire and water and doing the leads with delay?

Who would do that?

For sure fx are a different thing today than there were in the past.

"Only 4 slots I can't play with only 4 fx.."..

why?I think that is a very legit question..

Me too.

Two Channel Dual Rec and a pair of EVM12L Thiele Cabinets. A wah (some of the time) and nothing else. I keep thinking I am missing out not having tons of effects so over the years I have bought rack processors, pedals and midi controlled FX switcher etc etc etc. Culminating in the Kemper as an all in one solution. However, in every incarnation of my rig I have ended up using pretty much a single channel switching amp and no FX because every time I A/B the result of amp plus FX compared to amp on its own I just find the amp works better.

I often hear other people playing with effects laden sounds and think they sound amazing. Then I try their sounds and I sound like shit until I tun the FX off. There must be something wrong with me that makes me allergic to effects :D

Maybe you're like me and you belong to the guys who just can't make fx work for you on stage.

I can't.

I mean I love doing stuff with fx in the studio while recording. I also love some fx when working live doing Support for singer/songwriters with no or just little drum support.

But doing Rock stuff with fx? Why?

The best fx for rock/Hardrock is ..Hearing yourself and your bandmates and ofcourse having a good vibrato helps for the leads..this is all I know..

I regularly play considerably larger gigs than that with sounds that only have a subtle delay and a bit of reverb.

Bigger gigs doesn‘t mean you need bigger fx chains - at all ;)

Most gigs I played In my life I played without any kind of fx.

With a dual rectifier or a steavens poundcake.

0 fx on the stage besides a wah.

But I never dare to say this here..until now..😆

Think about what you get for 700$/€.

I am happy that when the "next spontaneous call" for a jam arrives I will be able to just grab a guitar and this Player and there I go..swuuush..out of the door..

I guess in the end it is really all about the size and the time you save for certain situations..and these situations are not "doing pro-/semipro things..".

Most likely all the situations I would like to have the player are about "having fun with my homies" somewhere with a FOH or an old FRFR waiting..

Why would I need tons of fx and more pedals for morphing for this; Highly unlikely.

Would I use the player for work in the studio or a bigger gig; No. This is why I have the rack and a extra laptop(for the studio) and the head/remote/3 EPs for "serious gigs".

Choose your weapons wisely.

And I am absolutely willing to pay 700€ to get this player just for having fun with my beloved rigs I use for years now. Even with half of the fx I never use.

Peace

The only negative issue I have with the player ..it is a little late.

Me and other folks asked for it (I think) for the first time around 2017-2018.

Now most lads already have a tonex or a stomp or a fm3 or whatever. The pedal-guys have their amp1s..

Now it is a thing for all the kemper guys like me who has already the rack and the head and would like to leave all this in the studio or to use it for "more serious" work.

I hope this player will find its buyers and take its market share. Sure it will. But just 4 years earlier this would have been an easier task by far.

This is REALLY small. Fits into a good guitar bag.

You have YOUR kemper presets maybe with less fx.

It us just as simple as that. I don't think to much about it..this little guy does not look like it likes big discussions. Go to the jam,go to the rehearsal. Plug in a foh and play. After that in 1 minute you are ready to get into the bus again which will bring you home with no stress.

No drama..

Who ever needs that. Like me for example.

If someone needs "his sound" with tons of fx,2 expression pedals and his stereo FRFR set..completely different story.

As for the player on a pedal board..if it has only very few delay & reverb options this could be a problem.

But I am no pedal board guy.

I see what You say but.. tecnically, it's not Me needing everything Extra. It’s what I'm always used to have. Isnt it?

Think positive..

Half the fx will urge you to compensate x2 with your fingers.. ^^

No seriously..I think it depends on what you need. For jamming or rehearsals I don't need the full action. Even less for small gigs with no FOH and bad acoustics in the small room. A drive,a compressor plus delay/reverb is all I need for these situations.

look here:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I saw that video. That’s how I learned the phase trick and where to place the mics. He doesn’t really go into much detail on how he chooses to blend the two with the faders.

Oops..sorry my friend..

I did not not watch the vid,I just remembered that it exists and posted it.

In any case..

It is all "down to taste" I guess. There is no general rule how to mix two mics. I am sorry. It is all about this silly "when it sounds good it is good " kind of thing. It all depends on what you want to achieve and the gear you have.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I held back on the beta because of gigs but I cheekily upgraded yesterday and I swear that the feel through my in ears was better, even with no other tweakage. Psychosomatic possibly but I had a really enjoyable gig.

Everything in music is "psychosomatic". I needed decades to understand this 100% for me.

Anyway..

Actually LP leads us out of the rabbit hole again. And after 20 years of tweaking parameters..this is a huge thing.

For "tweakers" not so much. Ofcourse.

I have been following this thread now for some weeks.

My personal opinion on the "I feel I can play faster now"-kind of discussion is the same now for the last 40 years:

Grab a classical guitar (nylons) and practice patterns with a thick,fat pick. In my experience there is no better way to train the fingers..

when I was much younger than today we enjoyed jokes about playing the guitar. One was the good advice to add a little "fast fret" lotion before trying again the tricky part.

The fast fret lotion!!!

The best part about it was the face of the guy in the shop.."yeah with this you can play like eddie.."

When you're 13-14 you believe in this kind of stuff..'nature of things I guess..

Funny how we all have different experiences and viewpoints. I bought a Mesa Mark iii 60/100 (head and 4x12) in 1985 which I still own.

That amp can be punishingly loud in a way that I never experienced with any Marshall or any other amp for that matter. It made every Marshall sound like crickets on a cool night. Not saying louder is better, just stating the fact.

The Mark iii in rhythm 2 could be tweaked to sound almost exactly like a 1959, for better or worse. The 1959 was never my cup of tea, but it is a data point for tone.

The MARKIII is the John Sykes Sound 9n the 1987 album. .. some people even claim it is "very marshally "..

I don't know I played this amp only once or twice not very loud in a music shop.