Posts by Nikos

@Netheravon

Out of curiosity and without any intend for irony..have you ever played a mahagony type of guitar with single coils which had the "real twang";

I ask because I really had a look into this issue long time ago any my answer was "mahagony/single coils=bad twang"..

So my conclusion back then was tonewoods have very well an effect.My conclusion was also that for example PUs have less effect on the guitars tone than lets say the nut material.

But this is ofcourse just my view on things.

@patrick2099

To be honest..no..I am so "electrified" by topjimis superleads that I did not search further.For me it is "just it".Cant get better.Same for his JTMs/bluesbreakers..they sound glorious to me and I have a hard time to remember when I ever had so fast so good results recording with these profiles so easily or playing "always on the run" and answering to guys where I have hidden my "old marshall"..

But I cant say it often enough.It is all about personal taste and what you want to hear.I like the way topjimi does the vintage marshall stuff.He has the "same ears" like me.Like @and44 has the "same ears" for me when it comes to sweet,nice sounds like matchless & vox class A & A/B stuff.I just like the way he does that kind of profiles.

So in any case it is a very complicated thing to ask for "the best profiles for xyz-amps"..nevertheless I did the same ofcourse.. :D ..if I remember correctly I was on a serious warpath askinf people for "what is the best SLO100 profile" a long time ago.

In the end I found my SLO profiles but they are none of these any of the nice forumers here suggested when I asked.

It is all about to find the profilers who have the "same ears" to what you want & need for certain things.Another very,very interesting aspect of the KPA. ;)

In conclusion I'm tired of hearing cocked wah, bass heavy or other, your golden ears suck, you get what you put in. The kemper is my best investment I use di amps with ownhammers irs same as I would in real life. My profile kills through my new set up a carvin dcm3000l, I had a crown xls2000 and my tone sucked the equipment used makes a difference on what you hear.

The product does what it says it does, it takes a snapshot of an amp, it does not model

One of the most interesting aspects of the KPA is that it makes many users "forget" about the reason they bought it (I am talking about all the ex-tube-guys) and argue in endless threads and discussion about "how close" the KPA comes to the amp/rig it took the profile from..

I dont need to list the reasons why most of us here bought the KPA.

As a tool the KPA is a revolutionary design.The concept was from the beginning clear (allthough most who demand for an example even better fx and an editor fail to grasp & catch this concept which is actually an elephant in the room)..

In the meanwhile only a few users obviously enjoy the kpa for what it is and you have fully understand it dear @mnewse614..keep on rockin´and let "the rest" get lost in the nirvana of "not exactly 100%"..

@Morty

No doubt TA is top quality.

That said I made my choice and I am very happy with it.

On a side note..this is the last time I will order something as long as these capitol controls exist.It is a disaster of first degree..finally I got half of my family involved (who live in germany) helping me out with their bank accounts plus the patience and kindness from Bas which really helps..

I think many users of this forum who come here for news, interesting tips, ideas etc are getting a bit fed up with this string of criticism that appears all the time,

Thanx so much..Yes me for example..

But who am I;Do I belong to the few who are "fed up" as you put it nicely;Or do I belong to the "silent majority";

I dont know..but for sure I know that I am not alone.

Topjimis superleads and jtms are indeed rocknroll machines..

Actually during the last months with all the "accurate" and "congestion" threads I always asked myself if our friends ever played the superlead6 or the JTM45 from topjimi.I still go "wtf" all the way whenever these sounds beat me through my frfr..

As for more modern marshalls I honestly dont know which I prefer TAFs are great but also some free rigs are amazing.I still plan to try the "big hairy" profiles from this guy on youtube.Sounds great to me.80s at its best.

MBritt has also some "special marshalls" which sound great with my Stratocaster..but these are not for medium gain or let alone high gain..Mbritt is for me the absolute "breakup-master" specially for Fender-amps..like And44 is for me the "boutique-king" when it comes to combos like matchless,D:13 or Carr..

Interestingly most "serious luthiers" I met never seemed so sure about how wood really sounds before they personally checked it through their various (very personal) testing before they used it as tone wood.

Take a minute watching this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is no rant about the wood..not even the bridge or the PUs..but only the nut!

Mr Smith does not hide how "unsecure" he is about what he is claiming..he makes no secret that he is still searching..after how many decades of buiding guitars; :whistling:

To get the most "twang" out of the Stratocaster you need for sure wood which can deliver these characteristics as explicit as possible..I would say..but ofcourse I am not a luthier.

My 70s Strat is all maple neck/fretboard but her tone is so warm & silky..the twang is overpresent with an unbelieveable sustain and this is why I have a Stratocaster..as absolute contrast to the LesPaul..

I always thought it is much better and more musically to turn back the volume poti if the highs become to present on the Strat..only to give full volume when I go "retard" with a gainy sound where I also love the shrill and hysteric sound only a Strat can deliever on her bridge PU (well..and the Tele ofcourse but this is to much for me)..

It is all about feel and personal taste.

If I want "hybrid" I will go for a custom superstrat with floyd,HSH with switching configuration of the humbuckers with a combination of woods which in the end "says not much" or at least is neither "really Stratocaster" nor "really Les Paul" but something which (if you are very lucky) sounds good(even great) but again only in a whole chain together with a very good multichannel amp with FX and so on..and again since years I use something like this only for music which contains some sort of shred..something I try to avoid during the last years.

My custom built superstrats (actually only one survived in my arsenal which I got from the old ESP custom shop in duesseldorf on the late 80s from a crazy japanese) sound great with a rectifier,some fx for leads..but not good enough with a pure marshall rig or my peavey classic or some nice matchless on my KPA..this is all for LesPaul and my Stratocaster.

And while we at it..IMO (could be so wrong about this) the finish plays some role on the electric guitar which most players underestimate;I always had the impression that companies which put a ton of "modern beautifull finish" on their guitars kill tone..like PRS..

But again,this is only my very personal thought on woods etc

Dont know..I always had the impression that alder has less "sharp brightness" than ash..maple neck is a must anyway and fretboard..well all my Strats have maple maple fretboard and sound definity "more dark" (like two Strats I had) or "bright" (as my' 77 Strat) ..I never "got it right" to predict the Sound of a guitat according to its woods alone.

I leave this to the luthier.He knows..

What a strange day..normal things (like paying for a guitar) has become a hard thing in todays times..even if you have the money..

Anyway..Things got sorted out,Bas is indeed a nice and supercool guy..

My order:

lightwight alder(two tone sunburst,slightly reliced),aged white pickguard,somewhat "medium sized" maple neck,mapple fingerboard(12" radius),medium jumbo frets,58s overwound PUs and big headstock..

I guess I owe you guys here some pictures as soon as this baby arrives.

Thanks to all for your help..

The order is made any only a few "technical issues" have to be set (ie "capital controls") and I will get for sure a fine guitar as soon as possible.

Again thanks to all for your kindness...

Yes,ofcourse..I would like at least a 12" radius..this is why I was very interested in the new Fenders with their compound 9,5-14" (i think) radius..

Sadly Folreden does not give any info on this..only about the neck itself with thin/middle/thick

yeah youre right..the white one is still a beauty,nice choice..I like the lipsticks..

I just send them an email with questions about the neck and (ofcourse) the headstock..I hope the bigger headstock cost not to much extra.I am fighting with me about white or two tone sunburst..other than that I would (actually..will..) go for maple fretboard,60s style Mojos..I hope really I can get also an "modern medium C" kind of neck..I guess I will see soon.Again thanks for the heads up.The youtubes with the Folredens are making me to have a very "positive feeling" about this.

@Laurens

Thank you dear friend but I guess I made already my choice. ;)

Thanks to all for your help..

I guess if the big headstock option for the Folreden cost not to much and the pricetag will be still in the 1600-1700 euro kind of thing(including shipping) my order will be placed very soon.

@sambrox

On the Folredens Facebook site I found a picture of a guy (picture 52) holding a two tone sunburst stratocaster with 70s headstock..what a beauty..in his back at least one further (white) strat with "lipsticks"..also with 70s headstock(if I am not wrong) and for sure a red (pink;)JM with 70s headstock..

Do I have to contact Folreden to find out about this "option";Because I cant find anything about this on their site/facebook

I am in love.. ;)

Custom build..Mojo PUs.."full" Fenderstyle headstocks..1000 bucks less than a Suhr/TA..including a nice case..wow..

I have a chinese squier that I love a lot cause of her mojo..I mean..qualitywise this axe is a complete desaster..but I spent 300 deutsch marks for the mojo back then..

@sambrox

Honestly..my thoughts turn a bit away from the Suhr (mainly cause of the headstock) and concentrate more on the Folreden..

I went to their Homepage but somehow I can not find out how far their "customization" goes..specially ie neck/fretboard/headstock..about the neck there is only "thin"/"medium" etc as choice..ofcourse I would ask to much if I wanted a 70s headstock,right; :huh:

I like the fact that Folreden uses Mojo-PUs..I have only heard great things about them.

@JSB
    Yes..I have some shops here which have a lot of Fender stuff..I will try,thanks for the insight..

@Tritium

Actually I really,really love big headstocks of the 70s..I always did..Hendrix,Blackmore and Yngwie..I think the Malmsteen-Strat is optically exactly what I want (would prefer olympic white over vintage white) but I honestly dont know if I can live with the scalloped neck...but I love maple fretboards..

The Suhr classic pro maple FB/ OW is what I am thinking of for a while now..at least this is the way I would like to go(dont like their haedstocks though..)