Posts by Nikos

If it's a newer one, easy peasy, sell it.

If it's an 80's one, and not modded, sell it. You can find them around easily.

Yes.You can find them easily.But still it depends on how good they sound.I played "millions" of JCM800s..2203s,2204s,2205s,2206s etc..many sounded like &%$§,most sounded "good" and a few sounded so great (mostly 2204s) that you might try to find a way how to steal them because the owner will never sell it..ask Slash for this matter..

If it is a "special" marshall I would not sell it.

@sercho

Since you come from the JCM-800 I would honestly sugget to get yourself the DXR.The EV has definitly a mid-scooped kind of thing and has sure its advantages if you want a more "detailed" sound when playing also at low volumes.The DXR can easily handle "rock"-profiles like any JCM800/marshall type of things.Actually it is very good doing these..

I can't think of a worse UI than a smart phone. Tiny screen, and guaranteed short-term obsolescence. How would a little touch screen be a step up from the existing KPA interface? A PC editor I understand for deep editing and patch management at home or in the studio. For live, I want simplicity, which is what the KPA already has (knobs and buttons).

I am also not a big fan of doing it all with editors or apps..to much software to much risk for failing..

Actually the KPA is the first digital tool I really trust.

But..in the case with floorboards it is all about the fact that we kick these stuff all the time with our boots and when we dont abuse it ourself than sure some drunken idiot in the audience will do..this has been mentioned enough here..

The only solution is to build the floorboard like a tank with as few buttons as possible.For live-gigs the app will then be the only possible solution.If we like this or not.

Btw..some days ago I just remembered a blues-guy(his band was playing every weekend) next to our rehearsal room back in the mid 80s who "tested" his pedals while dousing them with beer...hmm...only his vintage tube-screamer survived this if I remember correctly. :/

Trump -> U$D -> ∆

I dont push the like-button often but this one deserves it dear MM..

@cybermgk

It would be interesting to know if it is only about Kemper or if there are more instrument-producers reducing their prices..I read yesterday in several news that "world trade" is on similiar levels right now as in 2008 and that would also explain a lot.Competition gets tight everywhere.I dont worry about the KPA though.. :)

It's not even about just tweaking the sound with an editor. Personally, I've yet to tweak the EQ on any profile. Example: it would be useful to save different custom presets for the same effect that you could simply drag into a stomp and/or performance, no?

Yes.Agree absolutely that this would be usefull.

Again this is a matter of resources and priorities.Adding refinments to the amp/cabinet/speaker sound (like better low-end frequencies during profiling and pure cab) had higher priorities for the small KPA-team.I salute these priorities.

Maybe they should have done the editor prior to morphing or the delays..hmm..People would now cry that for these sparse fx they just dont need an editor..and why did Kemper not the new delays first.. ^^

As one guy said in an post earlier.I am very glad that Kemper go their own way.Dont listing to anyone,following the master-plan,no matter what..

Anyway..

We all agree that we need an editor now with 5.0..I guess not a single Kemper-user will deny it.

Besides all this..I still insist that untill 4.0 an editor was not priority.From the beginning the Profiler was all about to catch the DNA of any given tube amp and cabinet.With DNA I mean the sum of parts which let a tube amp or an cabinet sound like no other rig in this world.I mean its character & soul.

How many years and how much tweaking one has to waste to understand that you just cant tweak it without to derail it.. :/

Most woman understand this at some point.Most guitar players will never.. <X:D

Does the profiler needs an editor like the other modelers;

The axefx or the helix do not take "snapshots" of an amp/cab..they give you the ability to "sculpture" your rig from the scratch.Actually you have to do this.So you need all these parameters.You need "the tools" and the best possible UI (big screen and mouse) to work for some time building your rig.You will sit hours and hours to get it right.

The profiler does not work like this.Taking a "snapshot" of an already existing amp/cab which is already tweaked and miced everyone who uses the profiler has to understand that it is much more important to choose the right rig (or-ofcourse-do your own profiles of your own amps/cabs)If you choose/buy a rig it is still the same:The less tweaking the choosen rig needs the better the result.

This difference actually is so big and convincing that Kemper has the most pros who use this tool.Afaik there is not even one guitar-VIP using the helix despite the fact that it has the best UI of all modelers.The Axe is (very) often just used as FX-tool.

The new delays need an editor ofcourse.Morphing sure needs an editor.Maybe the growing number of cabs need an editor too.But untill recently the profiler did not need an editor.Would anyone use the editor live on stage;Anyone here who has an helix or an axe and uses the editor during live gigs;I am curious..

What about the other companies;Is it only Kemper;

If not and most other companies do the same...I guess it is all about competition.And sure this what @Monkeyman said about T. and the $.

@rolandeventide

No doubt the Eventide is worldclass studio-tech.I envy you because you can call it your own. ;)

Nevertheless there are not many artists out there anymore who take it out on stage.If I remember correctly even mr GuitarEventide himself (Vai) does use an AxeFx as his main delay-/pitch-tool;

I dont doubt that the H8000 has by far the best pitchshifting-fx out there but you need to be able to tweak it right to make it sound really as great as much you have to pay for it.And to be honest at least in the late80s-early 90s not many guitar players I met had the know-how to tweak it right.Sure this has changed;And again..even if you are as good as it needs to tweak the H8000 for recordimg live on stage and most of all in front of the stage where the audience listens none of them will get the difference between a 7000$ and a 1000$ pitchshifting fx.

It is all a thing of personal choice and more so personal "needs" & requirements..

Personally I would not get me an eventide or a lexicon.At least not for live-use.First of all there is ofcourse the horrendous price but also the fact that the new KPA-delays and pitch-stuff is "100% guitar amp-tweaked"(most presets come with the vox as basic amp-model)..maybe a reason why for example many very famous artists prefer an AxeFx as effects-processor than to carring around H8000,TCs and Lexicons..

The new Kemper-delays have everything to become the "new guitar-delay-fx-reference"..at least or live gigs.

For recording things are very different anyway.For obvious reasons.

Wow. Thanks for posting this, Nikos.
    I love Paul "Blithely Unaffected by Latency"

No probs dude..if you google around you will see many other shredders using now the Kemper.I have seen Marty Friedman,Vernon Reid and GusG using it.

And yes..Paul (like all real musicians) is the most humble & funny guy one can imagine.If one really loves music his ego will be left in chains.. ;)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The new delays are great. don Petersen & @CK have done some of the most musically programming for very high complex delays/pitch-stuff I have ever heard.Even when compared to Eventides,Lexicons etc..well done.

:thumbup:

Other than the reasons above (attrition) todays floorboards (AX8/Helix etc) are designed by companies which have shown that they will bring everything on the market just to stop the support for these things a few years later if it fits to their buisness interests..something Christoph never did and never will do.Actually this is the reason most guys here feel absolutely loyal to the product,no;

The Helix is not even 2 years old,the AX8 has just a few months since it has seen the light.Lets see how long these products are able to withstand all the "realities on stage"..or if they end up like all the other older floorboards which ended as trash just after 3-4 years. LiamThompson is by far not the only one with his experience ie floorboards..

Food for thought..what about if Kemper does a floorboard only for the customers which already have a Kemper Profiler;Just to "complement" the Toaster/Rack;So you need the toaster/RAck as "mothership" and the floorboard would just be the "live/rehearsal-drone";This would have many advantages.Most of all Kemper would not have to sell-out their products.People still would have to buy the KPA and if they have the real need for a floorboard-unit (like I have for some weekend micro-studentsbar-gigs and jams/rehearsals) they would have to buy it as "extension"..

By this the company could take a proven product (Remote) add "a few chips" and inputs/outputs;A simple smartphone app for minimum tweaking would then be enough.Another advantage would be that Kemper would not have to design a completely new product but does just a "minimum hardware upgrade" to a proven design.Price;Below the mach1 limit maybe even much lower.Just thinking..

Ofcourse I am no technician and I dont know if the remote as it is has some "reserves" in matter of size and dimensions to accept all these additional hardware.Most likely not and I am just dreaming out of my &%$ but anyway..

I think it's worth enough to know it's acknowledged. Sounds like it's still quite a bit away, likely not even started, so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. I'm cool with that.

Here we have the NAMM 2017 news..an editor is comming.Great for everyone who wants to make use of the new delays and other fx upgrades in the future..

Other than that..I wonder that new reverbs are not at least announced.But then again we have new versions of the new delays and a lot of tweaking and testing before the new reverbs.. ;)

@Sharry

Yes my friend..as older we get as more it is all about the authencity of performance.

Btw..one very simple thing which for example Xlylouris uses is the "drone"..the emptly bass-string which is used either melodically or rhytmically while the modes change.This has the great advantage that the player himself does not bind his playing to chord harmonies but rather to his own decisions of which modes to use over the drone which more or less stays the same(besides changing in a very basic way,lets say from an empty-string A to another empty string like D or E).So you can use completely different modes (and therefore "moods" and therefore from "more happy" major-type of scales to more sad/minor-type of scales and back again) in just one phrase.Actually the biggest difference between how modes get used in jazz(it is most all about chord-harmonies) and how they get "mixed" in folk and ethno music to my knowledge..