Posts by Nikos

Hi Ingolf.Thanx a lot for the caution.Indeed I read the same from a Keys-Player in a blog too who plays with two loud guitars in his band..the EV just does not have enough headroom..

Well,If I can get enough money (need a better foot controller as well) I will go for the DXR but right now I think about other solutions because I have to.I looked for weeks for a second hand DXR but found none.Than again I found many EVs for 250-300 bucks which is well within my budget.Add to this that winter time is approaching fast and there are many gigs to come.I dont have much "headroom" ie time.

Tough decisions.As a local proverb says:"Bought me the best cheese but no money left for the bread.."
    X/

It should be "real miced amp" vs Kemper.Still many guys take their "in the room"-ears when they compare their amp to the KPA which is ofcourse the worst thing to do.Saying this I often still repeat this mistake.Obviously it is much more difficult to keep "the open mind" about what we want to achieve than about the way to get there.

Nothing sounds like the dynamic rock-sounds of my Steavens-Poundcake but when thinking about the way to get these amazing sounds over and over again into my DAW I am very happy about the KPA.Now it will take one "excessive" recording session and I will have them with one push on a button.

Thanx guys..

@paults

Thanks for your help.Actually I read in many reviews that the EV has way more "HiFi"-like treble and bass while some sort of "scoop" in the mids when compared to the dxr's.I got a friend who uses 4 speakers of the 15" version (he is a singer and uses two as FOH and two as monitors) of these EVs and will check them before I make any decision.

@Pilotltd

Thanks for your heads up.Must say that I was always pleased about EV-stuff.Many friends in my area use EV-PA-stuff and so far they are very happy with it.Anyway..many thanks for your input.I will now take a further look and read more user-reviews in the blogs.

Could really be everything..truss rod,tremolo,the nut..the best solution is to bring the guitar to a really compentent guitar technician in your area;

Btw..

I’ve been playing mostly rhythm guitar the time I’ve had it, but lately when playing some lead-type stuff...... when playing single notes above the 7th fret ...

This gives me a little heads up.Sometimes guitars do strange things after many years and react "like a woman" if you dont love the "whole thing".. ;( ...well...

I have seen this quite a lot times with the main guitar of players who only play rhythm/open chords till the 5th fret and completely ignore "the rest".Their guitars sound great as long as they play their rhythm stuff but sound like shit if anyone tries to get some lead sound out of it beyond the 5-7th fret.Everything then gets out of control.

Again.Could be any kind of problem or a combination of all things mentioned here in the thread.Bring the guitar to a good expirienced/technician.Best thing you can do.Good luck.

@mbenigni

Sorry but I cant follow you any more..

Where did I "lay words into you mouth" and where did I "school" you or anyone;

This is what you said:

"Modeling" isn't inherently inferior. In fact a lot of purely theoretical arguments (specifically those pertaining to component interaction) would have it the other way. It just happens that modeling efforts to date haven't been as successful as Kemper's results with profiling, at least in the opinion of most here, including myself. But the future is wide open. There's no reason to pretend a modeler can't sound good just because it doesn't "profile" per se.

I have my own opinion and this is not "semantics" or "schooling" but just an opinion. ;)

A "fact" on the other side is what ever me or you think out there in the real world.Like:After 20 years of futile attempts of any modeler to date the "first pure profiler" aka KPA achieved the very clear and simple goal:Sounding "exactly" like any given amp it profiles.Not a "fact";So what then;Again "semantics";Would you care to explain;

If we can agree to this "fact" this leads us to a total logical and absolutely "semantics-free" question for you my dear friend;Where is the point to try further to achieve some thing with an technology which FAILED the goal in two decades when you have a new technology who achieves the goal in its very first "days of living";Where is the "raison d'être" for modeling in this case;Is this not the logical and main question for any person who cares about "science" and also "semantics";

greetings

LOL well, that is a little intense. Did you read the rest of my post? I'm not even sure we disagree on much, excepting the relevance of the "P" word. I'm just going to call them all emulators from now on, as a matter of principle.

I am amused and duly reminded that trying to talk about actual technology on a fan forum is basically like tilting at windmills. :D

It was not my intention to be "intensive" at all.I just tried to reject what in my view must be rejected.When you say that modeling (after 20 years of its existance) is not "inferior" to profiling and that the "future is wide open" also to modeling I have to reject this.Modeling IS far inferior to profiling.Actually I believe that the "era of modeling" is over.Profiling IS the future.And this is the reason why Fractal introduced "tone matching" and Line 6 talks about "profiling each single stage" of the signal path.What bollocks.All of these companies have a clear strategy how to use which technology.All of these are first of all modelers.But only the KPA is concipated from the scratch as such;A profiler.I just wanted to make this clear.And I believe that I have do to this because these are the facts.

"Profiling" vs. "modeling" is almost entirely a matter of semantics.

No.It is not.And nothing could be more far away from the reality then this.The difference between "modeling" and "profiling" is here and an elephant in the room.Yes..it is this huge.It is such a huge difference that I thought we dont even need to bother explaining it.But okay.Here we go..
    "Modelling" from the Line 6 Axsys till the "modelers" today:Some guys-good scientists and sure also good musicians-sit some where in a laboratory and listen to old marshalls,fenders,Vox as well as to newer "boutique"-style amps and then they tweak and hustle to get these sounds into a chip.They wont ask you or me about what we want to hear from any amp.What is "your Plexi-sound" dear friend @mbenigni;Is it the same that it is for me;Almost every expirienced guitar freak will tell us that every good sounding plexi is completely different.The same is true for the vintage Fender amps or any legendary vintage amplifier.

Something similiar can be said about the "Boutique"-amplifiers.I want a completely different SLO-100 sound than these I heard in any modeler till this day.Even the profiles in the rig exchange do not even come close to "what I want" from a SLO-100.

And here comes the profiler.With the KPA we are able to define "our sound" ourselves.We dont need to spend thousands of bucks and just hope that we can "tweak" the ears and the mood of someone else untill we like it..or maybe not..than (if we are lucky) we are "87% close".This after 20 years of modeling-technology.Some guys (you know of whom I talking about) will claim that "their modeler sound even better than the original" because it has a dozen or so ultra fast DSP chips and their "guru" gives them every three weeks new firmwares "to make them even better than superb" and this ofcourse to which point;

It all comes down to a very simple conclusion.You know what sound you want;You even have the amps you like;Or some one you know has them;Fine.Make an exact copy or search for other exact copies of the same amp-model BUT with a different sound you also like for them yourself and say a friendly "no thanks" to anyone you gives you less than this.

In the last few days I played for hours the Matchless and Carr profiles from TAF.I just could NOT play anything else.And I have to try so many other great profiles I already have downloaded..but these two profiles are so fine..just couldn´t stop playing them(only "blue jean blues" and "la grange" with the carr s6 for hours and hours).And still cant.

As you say.There is absolutely no real reason for one more modeler amp which has 2-3 presets of each "brand name" made by guys who believe that this or that amp should sound like this or that..just the thoughts of it is so frustrating.And the KPA has already shown that this way (modeling and not profiling) has become completely absurd.New modelers wont sound better than the supa dupa double ultra DSP-AxeFx and even this modeler sound completely "overprocessed" when compared to the "real" sounds of the KPA.Some guys will disagree but for me this is a fact.

As for the FX-discussion..for me personally the effects in the KPA are an absolute overkill.Dont need more.I can understand why some guys need more FX but most of us will never need only 10% it than of what you will find in the profiler.

Why not sell that AxSys to fund a good frfr? One sold for a bit over $300 on Ebay recently.

I have seen the Axsys2 go for 150 euros.So mine would not even be worth 50 bucks right now.
    Hmm..maybe I sell one of my tube amps to get me a good CLR and a better foot controller (got an old exef).

Thanx for your thoughts folks.

Well I still have an old Line6 Axsys212 which has two "custom made eminence full range speakers" as well as an ( programmable,including volume,bass treble) aux-Input for any kind of Dat or Mics..

What I dont have yet is 500- 1000 bucks cor an Dxr10 or a CLR.

So I think about to try the Axsys as controller while I would like to k ow if anyone has tried something similiar.

Well..

I was so enthusiastic about pc that I tweaked all my rigs again.Turning up treble and also some presence.Lowering most of the mid frequencies..and so on..I just finished the process (right now I prepare my "performances") and pure cabinet was gone.Must admit these are the things driving me near insanity.

So.Better no comment about "pure cab" and 3.1 untill the show runs without problems.

..like in some modeler-amplifiers(Line 6,Roland Blues Cube etc).I know,I know..no woofer.No tweeter.So it is sure a stupid idea anyway.

But if anypone has tried this (with the KPA) I would like to know.At least these speakers (as in the blues cube or the axsys212) are "some kind" of full range;

@Hi Christoph

No reason to lie here..

So the answer is:No.I have NOT tested this A/B against a tube amp.Not even the ones I own my self.So okay.I will do as you propose and then I will let you know.I am just one more "suspicious tube guy" who desperatly tries to get rid of old habits (ie. expensive and cost/time/work- intensive tube amps).If I do this A/B and it is indeed like you say and I am "just own more guy to shut down his mouth forever" I will gladly admit and do so.

Greetings.