Posts by Kim_Olesen

Another stomp improvement would be to only lock the state of the slot. Meaning that as the rig changes, the stomp stays in the on/off state that it had in the previous rig. No matter the contents the rig has stored in the slot. The content in the slot changes, but not the on/off state, which is assignet to a midi cc

HOWEVER though Dynochrome has a point in regards to the OP. If you are looking to contravene a difference in volume caused by some kind of morphing, the volume in the amp section is the way to go, since that’s morphable. Rig volume is not iirc.

I have about 70 rigs on my Kemper. First thing I do is level the amp section in browser mode and save so it sits with all my other rigs very close. That way if I want to put one in a performance, it's pretty close and I can go right to playing instead of messing with volume adjustments.

Yes, all very good. And the rig volume parameter is equally suited to that. And much faster accesed on most models.

Plus one for a more flexible locking system.

What i see being a hindrence, might be that as more flexibility is added, the learning curve for newcomers is steeper. Now i can’t speak for the Kemper team, but this might be on their mind.

I had my own midi gadget build to work around the locking limitations. One of three hardware gadgets i’ve had costum build to make the Kemper conform to my needs.

From the manual section RIG VOLUME: "Use this parameter to adjust the level of each Rig to suit a song in a set list, we don’t recommend using it to balance the levels between all the Rigs." and "If you can’t pin it (volume difference) on an effect, then it might be the PROFILE itself differing from unity gain. In this case, adjust the “Volume” parameter, found in the amplifier module, until the Rig sounds at the correct level. Be sure to store the Rig afterwards, if you want the volume change to be permanent for that specific Rig." This is how I do it but it's a preference not a rule.

The Kemper is a flexible beast. There is no reason not to use rig volume is you prefer that.

What on earth is the real world difference to levelling rigs used in a 40 song long set list, and levelling rigs in general?

No difference for me. I have 10-20 rigs that i use across 5 bands, and lots of gigs as a substitute. Same rigs, different setlists, if any setlists at all.

Add to that, on toasters and rack Kempers, the rig volume parameter is directly accesed on the front. Much faster for quick dialling in, that having to push the amp block, then the page button two (or is it three?) times, then adjusting the vol parameter. That’s three (or four) times as much buttonpushing. Placing the rig volume on the front was a stroke of brilliance by the Kemper team.

The stage is different than the head unit in that the rig volume is a knob to itself on the head whereas the volume knob on the stage is the master volume. There are multiple places on the stage to adjust the rig volume. One place was mentioned in the rig parameter, another is in the amp block, also if I remember correctly you can increase the volume in the cab block. You can also always put a pure booster after the cab section in the X . You can morph any and all of these the same way you would morph any other parameter.

All these options are available on all models. If they weren’t, rigs would not be compatible actoss models.

In this case, just use the output eq. Your tones may not the one you want but will be ok for foh.

And it’s also the engineer’s job to find a way to do a global eq.

As a “quick fix” i’d go for this answer. But add this as well. Find the high cut in the output section. Set it to 6500. Not many guitar speakers play anything above this anyway. It is only the mic placed very close to the speaker during profiling, that causes frequences above that to be audible. You don’t stand with your ears 5cm away from your guitar cab (unless you are deaf, or wish to be) and what the profile is reproducing is the sound that close.

Space is indispensable for me. I run a stereo jack from my headphone jack to my in ear setup (so i don’t have to ask the sound guy for myself, but just a mix of the rest of the band. )

So i get that nice sensation of “not too direct guitar” in my inears.

Pure Cab….. I am kinda torn. Even before i went Kemper i was an inear player. I used a rig based around my Marshall jmp1 preamp, and used the speaker emulator outputs for the FOH and inear sound. Btw, that was an awesome piece of gear, and the emulated outputs sounded great. So i have kinda gotten used to that “line in sound in my ear”. That means “no pure cabinet” type of sound. I feel like i am loosing a bit of the “initial transient” with the pure cab on. BUT i can hear why it sounds nice, and i think i should just try playing with it for a month or two, and then decide.

OT: Fun jmp1 direct sound story. About 30 years ago, way before playing without cabs miked was mainstream, i played a big national tv show. The sound tech had NEVER before been presented with two cables for left and right and a request to NOT have the cab miked. He was dead against it. Flatly refused. So i said to him (being only 19 years and stubborn) just do it, if you then hate it, then mike the cabs. So he grudgingly agreed. After one runthrough he came back and humbly said he never had an easier sound check in regards to guitar sound. He didn’t have to do anything but set a level. And ofcourse wanted to know more about this piece of wonderous gear, that sounded great, and made his life much easier.

Now here is the point of the story; how things have changed. Here 30 years later, sound techs just love when you give them a left right signal and that’s that. Oh how times have changed. For the better.

Welcome. Actually the Kemper can be both instant joy, and at the same time also a long journey, as you find tutorials on the parameters, so you can refine your tone over the years to come.

Wheresthedug Yes multiple morphs. I’d love that feature too. Even one more would allow for a lot of exciting flexibility. One morph for the mix parameter in the Green Screan, another for delay time in the delay stomp etc etc etc…. Endless possibilities.
    Another one would be to lock only the on/off state of a stomp, but let the contents in it change with the rigs. E.g a locked delay stopm. You change rigs, the delay stays on (because the state is locked) but delay time, modulation etc would be the values stored within each rig.

Performances is one of those features i didn’t see any use for, for the longest time. But it really is a powerfull feature that can be used for a lot of things. Organising rigs within a song. Grouping sounds together. Easy copy/pasting of several rigs at a time. Batch assigning midi pc etc…. So now i am all performance mode.

Sigh….

Yet another shoot down post. Yet another, “i don’t need that so how could anyone else possibly need it”. Well done. Did you even read post number 4 in the thread?

And what do you do if the gig has started and you find that your 5 lead sounds are just to the loud or low side? Stop the band, panick edit/save all 5 one at a time? You might want to do that. But i want a one knob solution that adjust ALL lead sounds in one go. And KEEPS THE SETTING till the next time i touch that knob. In fact i have that, but it is an annoying workaround since it uses the loop, thus keeping me from using that for other things.

New features does NOT take anything away from anybody. But they ADD something for somebody, making them happier by NOT having them resort to workarounds.

VERY late to the game. After 8 (i think) years of owning the Kemper, i finally tried Rig Manager. Had it installed fir a long time, but never used it. So this is also my first trying out the editor.

This software is SO nice. Intuitive, really needs no manual. And while i feel the userinterface on the hardware is great and i never missed having an editor, now that i have it, it does feel like a gamechanger, that’ll make tweaking much more fun.

1 cable between Exp Pedal and Kemper or 1 cable between volume pedal and Kemper shpuldn't make much difference...out of moving the wireless from the rack to the board...

Sigh….That’s the workaround, but feature requests are also here because users are tired of workarounds, want their gigging lives to be easier, want as much inside the box as possible for convenience, want less cable clutter on stage etc etc

Rant:

This is the most annoying problem with this board. Every second post in feature request seems to be about shooting down other peoples requests, as if it took something away. I could understand it if users requested features removed, but features added is a gift to us all. Who knows, one day you might benefit from a feature, you initially did not think you needed.

New features does NOT take anything away from anybody. But they ADD something for somebody, making them happier by NOT having them resort to workarounds.

Rant over.

The nice thing about using performances is the easy storing of all 5 (e.g. Lead) sounds in another performance, and then tweaking those for a different guitar. Much faster than individual saving, renaming, assigning new midi pc etc in browse mode.

Switching between Performances causes a lag, because the whole Performance must be load into memory. Switching the slots in one Performance is without lags.

I store the rigs and/or performances in my project folder.

Not as much lag as guitarists that have to switch off three pedals, then switch two others on and fiddle with their volume pedals. ;)

Really the lag is negligeble. Perhaps 0,3 seconds. The big lag is in the display, and i never look at that while playing. It’s never been an issue for me.

I presume you mean slots 1 an2? You don't change performances mid song surely?

No, i mean ALL my rhythm sounds on performance 1. 5 different sounds to chose from. ALL my lead sounds on performance 2. 5 different lead sounds to choose from.

All rhythm sounds on the bottom row. All lead sounds on the too row. Nice and easy. Wireless midi, no pedal jogging. Just one push and i am on the right patch. Been using rack gear for 30 years, and my sounds have always been arranged that way. No need to change it now. Works fine on the Kemper too. I have more expression pedals connected than what is in the picture. For morph, slots on/off, wah. So all in all i have every sound i need at my feet instantly.

And to answer your question: Ofcourse i do. Why wouldn’t i?