Posts by Kim_Olesen

Indeed. My Problem with iem is often, that I hear too much of my voice via the bone. That makes things muddy and difficult for intonation. Only thing I can do is to increase the level on my iem, or to leave out one bud.

A very well meant word of warning. The way our “brain hears” will make you play very loud in your buds if you only have it in one ear. This is because you will try to drown out the sound pressure of an entire band coming in unfiltered from the other ear. As i said, in-ears is meant to protect our hearing after all. I know quite a few who made that mistake and now have a busted hearing on one ear.

Unfortunately thiswas the best picture i could find. You need to click the picture to see it; In the top rack i have all my monitor stuff (plus slave amp if i am at a gig where i bring a cab) including a rack mixer so i can get a feed with everything else, and then i run a line from my headphone amp to the rack, and take care of my guitar monitoring myself.

Actually i also have a split for my vocals in there, so i don’t need to bother anyone else with my vocal monitoring either. All my levels one step away, instead of an open mic announcement (more myself in the monitor) away.

There is also another positive sideeffect of this. If the soundguy is clueless, at least he is not f…..g with the most important levels, those of myself. Bad in-ear levels will make my performance suffer.

On very small gigs i don’t even have anything but myself in my in-ears. There is enough leakage through the skull to my ears of everything else. Gotta ramember that the point of inears is to protect your ears from high soundpressure levels, and just using them as earplugs, with a bit of yourself in them is a good way of keeping levels down.

Problem is that my in ears come from the desk

Then you can never get what you ask for, since it’ll affect the sound you send to the desk.

Get a mixer yourself. Have everything else (except the guitar) come from the FOH desk to your mixer. Patch up the headphone output to your mixer. Run your in-ear from that mixer.

Now you are in control of your own sound in your in-ear. Including your level, and eq, and it wont affect the FOH sound. Add to that your days of requesting more/less of yourself in your monitor is over.

Filters have been used in recording almost since it’s inception. Just because someone shows you how they actually work, should not mean you should suddenly be scared of using them. They are a very necesary part of production and sound sculpting.

And you are certainly not “degrading” a guitar sound by applying hi or low pass filters. Guitar amps are dirty and degraded by their very nature. All you are doing is helping the FOH engineer to avoid clash in the bottom and “distortion bees” in the highs. The advantages FAR outweigh any “mathematical danger”

Btw, any EQ is also filtering ;)

When saving a ring to pool in performance mode, it ought be able to give it a new name. I know there is some kind of way to do it in rig manager, but i never use rig manager, my KPA is a live rig, and never really close to my studio computer.

Funny how we are all different, I agree the birds are vital and really make the guitars.

I do need new hands, no doubt....I tried a couple of their different profiles and just not feeling it :)

If we all liked the same stuff, it’d be a pretty boring world.

Get a Stage ;)

No can do. I have been a rack guy for 30 years, and need the kemper to be connected to lots of other stuff. Personal inear mix, devices that lightly expands/hacks the kemper functionality. Imagine all the audio cables and signal loss i’d get if i extracted the kemper from this setup.

In fact even my midicontroller is wirelessly connected to the kemper. Very easy to setup.

Feel better soon.

The normal names for the compressor controls would be nice. I use it, I tweak to my liking, but I don't really understand it and I've seen so many contradicting explanations, and they all describe the existing controls as what they are representative of, "attack, release, ratio, threshold" So let's just use those names. No one would be confused by those, but it seems everyone is by the current names.

Agree.