Posts by Kim_Olesen

yeah, why is this still not a thing?

This is probably the reason: The graphical update/lag time between rig manager and the KPA is too long. A tuner is useless if it lags. You will sit forever, tuning past the “point of correct tuning”. Rig manager was never intended to be a low latency graphical interface, it has no need to be for it’s use as an editor.

So probably tuner in rig manager will never be a thing.

Interesting. Do you still use the speaker emulator out as the cabinet in Kemper or do you find the cabinet separation algorithm in the KPA good enough with these profiles to let you swap cabinets as part of the rig?

I’ve been a “line out” guitarist for over 30 years as far as FOH goes. One of the very first (if not the first) in Denmark to go that route. For stage monitoring i used a cab loaded with two vintage 30 speakers. 15 years ago i began using in-ears but still often brought the cab.

When i changed to Kemper (and i only did that because my JMP1 rack system was showing signs of age) i profiled the sounds from the emulator out, because they sounded fantastic in the FOH, and really i wasn’t looking for a new sound.

So now i use an frfr cab so my stage sound is “like” the sound that i send to foh. I did a big shootout on what frfr to use, and ended up with a JBL MEX512M. It was miles better than everything else. Felt totally like my old guitar cab. I eventually bought two spares, so i should be covered for the rest of my professional life.

So yes, still using the profile of my emulated out into an frfr. Though sometimes i don’t even bring a cab (if the entire band is on in-ears).

I tried using my old guitar cab with the cab off seperation algorithm, just for the fun of it, but it didn’t sound anything as good as the full profile through the JBL.

This is the cab i play through: https://www.google.dk/imgres?i…urce=sh%2Fx%2Fim%2Fm4%2F3

Fun anecdote:(might have told it before). First time i played a tv gig with the JMP1 (on Danish national tv nonetheless) the sound mixer came with mikes. I said, “no just give me a linedriver and i’m good”. He utterly refused. After some persuation we agreed that if he didn’t like it after one minute of soundchecking, he could mike my cab. He never put them on, but instead he came to me and said that he never had an easier job with any guitarists sound. He just opened the channels, and didn’t even eq them. I felt totally vindicated haha. Nowadays playing line is so commonplace, back then it was unheard off here, and it was the same battle with any new soundguy i met.

Ofcourse my sound changed over the years with small tweaking, as my tastes changed, for cover gigs, i am more in John Mayer territory now. But still based on the same couple of profiles.

I've had a few evenings with my Kemper trying out the Liquid profiles, swapping tonestacks into existing profiles, and enjoying the experience. This is a really great update. More accurate profiles AND the ability to fundamentally modify existing profiles. Yippee.

Having a gain knob in a profile (that starts out low gain) that can also 'be turned up to 11' is pretty darn cool too.

Would a 'which tone stack should we add' voting thread be cool ? Like the 'Suggested Feature' thread ? I'd really like to vote for the midi preamp tonestacks Marshall JMP-1, ADA MP-1 and MB Triaxis.

Yes particularly the JMP1.

I look at it like this. How many times in the night are you going to use a sitar emulator or a sequenced bit crusher in a night? For like a song or a 15 second part? For what it takes dragging it around the audience would likely never know if it wasn't there and you had something close. I recall someone having a sitar emulation effect that was pretty good that I recall messing with, (likely in an artist/legend pack as I rarely find much useful in RE). There aren't many useful effects the kemper can't do just the weird stuff that wouldn't get used much anyway. That's just me, if someone wants to go through all the bother dragging a POG around for a 10 second part more power to them.

I gig in cover bands and i would never have a need for such speciality sounds. However i think you need to bear in mind that if you play original music, or in a tribute band, such sounds are often a feature of the songs and important to the vibe, even if it is just for 15 seconds.

You wouldn’t tell Hendrix in 67 that he didn’t need that wah ;) One mans unimportant, is another mans essential.

Two latest additions. Bought the Moon White two weeks ago. It is one of those rare guitars that you just know is magical after one minute with it in the store. (And i only went there to buy strings ^^, turned out to be an expensive day).

It is effectively replacing my 2009 fender american strat as my new cover gig main axe. That was also one of those rare magical ones, but after 14 years and well over 500 gigs on it, i am a bit bored with it.

One thing i regretted with the 2009 am strat, was not getting a spare with the exact same specs. Because i am one of those “if i break a string, i want to change to essentially the same guitar”. So i am not making that mistake again. Hence, after a week, i bought the Stone Blue as well. Going to swing both saturday.

Not surprisingly, most of my sounds translated well but one thing that struck me, is how much better the Kemper reacts to backing off on the volume on the Silver Skys, in comparison with the aforementioned 2009 strat.

Rush has to be one of the influences even if under a subconscious level. I'm hearing Alex Lifeson on guitar. What did I win?

I can see why you mention Alex Lifeson. He is great. Absolutely great. But i must admit i’ve only ever heard Moving Pictures a couple of times, and watched a bit of live stuff on YT.

But that chrunchy chorus guitar, which is prevalent on this track. Yes it probably owes something to that exposure to them. Huge crunchy chorus guitars….gotta love.

Sounds great, lovely production and writing.

Probably all wrong but for me and my limited musical knowledge I hear DJ Shadow the Police, XTC, Devin Townsend, Remi Zero, Mastodon, Don Henley and... A-Ha?

Well 80s pop is certainly a big overall influence for us. The ones i had in mind when creating it was The Cure - Fascination Street and Enigma - Sadeness.

Thank you folks for giving it a listen :*

The title track from our new album. Have patience. Extra points for naming the two obvious influences for the first minutes of the track.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Imo there is only one way to do leveling properly. With a band in the rehearsal room.

I know the OP asked about levels when auditioning rigs, but considering the output range from guitars (low output singlecoils to amazingly loud humbuckers) there is no way it is going to work consistently anyway.

Sort of a fusion between the english New Romantics and Metal-ish stuff…

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yeah, I think a better idea is to use the setting for static latency (I forget the phrasing) , and then set up your DAW accordingly.

Yup. Which is what i suspect the protools/elevenrack combo automatically does. Latency delays data per definition. Latency compensation, takes that data and aligns it correctly in a daw timeline.

But requiring that of the kemper would literally necesitate the kemper to know what is input into it in advance of it being input.

Which would, as i said, require the kemper to break the time and space continuum.