Posts by gkoerich

I use a DXR10 when playing live in small clubs and don't feel any need for EQing.
    I tweak my tones using a pair KRKs VXT6 in a home studio environment and they are reproduced live pretty much as I expected by the DXR10.

Hello!

I did the test sambrox mention.

Case #1: Merge profile, cabinet off in stack section, "Monitor Cab Off" unchecked in output page, guitar cabinet on monitor powered output
    Case #2: Merge profile, cabinet on in stack section, "Monitor Cab Off" checked in output page, guitar cabinet on monitor powered output
    Case #3: Studio profile, cabinet off in stack section, "Monitor Cab Off" unchecked in output page, guitar cabinet on monitor powered output

(Firmware 3.2)

Cases #1 and #2 sounded like Direct Profile and #3 CabDriver.
    My conclusion is that doesn't matter where you turn off the Cabinet emulation regarding when CabDriver is active.

That was the behaviour when 3.x was released, at least. Easy enough to try it for yourself; just deselect Cab, then compare the tone with when you select the option in the Output section.

Thank you so much, Tim!!!!!!

I'll try that and let you all know If I'm just crazy or got better results.

Hi John (Tritium),

Thank you for your time.

I was already considering all you've written, but recently, I've been using more Studio Profiles instead of Direct ou Merged even with a guitar cabinet (Kemper with CAB off). Although, they don't sound accurate, I think they tend to be more consistent (EQ) with the sound I hear on Main Outs (with CAB on).

Let me try to explain my theory:

We all know the guitar amp sound captured is so much affected by microphones types and position. So, the sound you capture through microphones is not necessary the same you perceive when listening "the amp in the room". Sometimes your amp is sounding great "in the room" and bad on the "tape" and vice-versa. Capturing a guitar amp that sounds good is an art for itself.

When we use a Direct or Merged profile with CAB off on Kemper, we are supposed to get the real sounding coming thought the speakers. My theory is that sometimes you don't want that real sound, but some of the coloration you got when mic'ed.

When we use a Studio Profile with CAB off, we get an approximation of what is the amp part. As Kemper is not able to know exactly which part is speakers + mic, some of the coloration is maintained "as amp tone" and goes to your guitar cabinet. If you try any profiles pack that supply Studio and Direct profiles and compare them in a guitar cabinet you will understand what I mean.

Actually, the reason I've asked by the Studio version was that I found those #53 profiles sounded perfect through my studio monitors, but when I used in my guitar cabinet (with CAB off) they sounded different than I expected.

But, of course, Tim was already so gentle to share all those profiles with us, so I don't want to ask too much... :rolleyes: , but if possible :D , I would like to try the Studio profiles and cab off (cab driver making the extraction) and see what happens. ;)

Hi @timowens!
    Thank you very much for sharing all those profiles. I'm extremely grateful to you.
    I was looking for good sounding profiles for playing classic rock and found your profiles of DS, BE and HBE at RM. They are absolutely fantastic!!! Really impressive!!!
    They become my main presets for LP and Classic Rock.

As you mention, the profiles you upload at RM are based on session #53 and are merged profiles.

Question: Is there any chance you could share the STUDIO profiles for DS, BE and HBE of that session? Just in case you still have them before doing the merging process.

Thanks in advance!

all the best,
    George

Hi mates!

IMHO, the fixed efx blocks positions (4 pre-stack & 4 post-stack) are restricting Kemper from have richer sounding in some applications.

We know that some effects works better in stereo or post stack and others before stack. Although there are blocks available for what I need, I don't get the most of it because I'm not capable to put all effects in the correct position.

I'm used to play Pink Floyd stuff. During 80's & 90's, Gilmour use a very processed sound (cascading distortions, eqs, chorus over chorus, flanger, univibe, rotating speakers, dlys, reverbs).

Let's say that all the several distortions David uses in a row was profiled and now it's inside the stack module. (By the way, I've made that with excellent results).

Here are some examples that I couldn't do now but could do if I was able to move some blocks to post-stack:

gate -> comp -> stack -> eq -> air chorus -> vintage chorus -> dly -> reverb
    gate -> comp -> stack -> eq -> chorus -> rotary spkr -> dly -> reverb
    gate -> comp -> stack -> eq -> phaservibe -> panner -> dly -> reverb

As post-stack blocks are stereo, maybe there is a processing power restriction for my request. If we could at least have 2 blocks free to move to post stack it would be great. I think will solve 99.99% of actual demands.

Who else is with me?

I would like to say a +1 for Pure Cabinet per rig. (please @ckemper)

I just love Pure Cabinet and I'm using it most of the time. It really does an impressive job rounding up crunch tones, but for some rigs it cuts some edges that should be there.

I've been profiling some vintage Fuzz stomps with impressive results, but in this case, Pure Cabinet cuts some dynamic highs when it is engaged (even in 0 setting). I'm listening through professional reference monitors.

I think we can get best of both worlds when using Pure Cabinet where it shines and let some "edgeness" where they are expected to be.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

dougc84: I totally agree with your method. It's a must to get consistency across profiles. I think procedure would be enough for those using FRFR but it's not when in real life dealing with a guitar cab.

As you suggested, we can priorize the main outputs, use professional reference monitors (I use a KRK set with sub) and tweak all profiles to sound like they should in the mains.

Now, we have to check them in the guitar cab.

Even Kemper doing a great job extracting the cab+mic part of profile to feed into the guitar cab, each profile will behave different comparing how they sound in the mains and guitar cab.
    Some will sound too muddy, others trebly or with too much mid. You won't find a single spot in the monitor 3 bands EQ to balance all of them at once.
    OK that depends how tolerant or painintheass you are to consider them "balanced". For me, it's not enough, and I don't have any other way to correct them one by one without affect what I've done to the mains.

Also, some profiles have too much energy at the low end but they sound nice with the guitar cab. I usually do some aggressive low cuts and add some mids to the mains using GraphicEQ to sound right in the mix but I can't recover to where it was to the monitor using those 3 bands EQ. Besides that, doesn't seems right put 2 EQs in a row, one canceling the other.

I think the best way to solve this is enable to route an existent FX block to mains or monitor only. I could put an Graphic EQ block to main only without deteriorating my monitor signal.

The only separate monitor/main EQ I know is in the "Output section", page 3/7 (monitor EQ) and page 4/7 (main EQ).

If I change Treble from 0 to 3 on page 3/7, for example, and load another preset, that Treble value remains on 3. That's what I mean by "Global", as it's not preset related, it doesn't change when I change the preset.

Is there any way to change this behavior to be preset related?

It's very common that you have to tweak EQ to get the sound right in the main outputs, but then you mess up the monitor output (using a guitar cabinet) and also the other way around.
    What I would like the have is a separate Graphic EQ for main and monitor outputs that could be store by preset.

I know you have separate EQs for main and monitor in the output settings, but they are global and address a different situation.

I understand that probably there is no processing power remaining for more simultaneous efx.
    In that case, my suggestion would be allow different routings in X block in order to select in which outputs (main and/or monitor) they will affect. So I could put X block with a Graphic EQ in the main or monitor output only.

Same issue here.

Go into the output settings page 2/7. Now turn the master volume up and down repeatedly. The monitor volume and headphone volume will reach a lower maximum value every time and will eventually stay at zero (when linked to master…

Yes!!!! That´s exactly the cause of the problem I was hearing in the monitor output (wrong calculation of the linked volumes).

I did the same test you describe and got the same issue here.

I have a Kemper PowerHead with FW 3.1.4.

I've noticed a very strange behavior regarding the master volume.

If you turn the master volume from 0 to something like 3 and back to 0 repeatedly times, you will notice a volume drop each time you do that. You can hear that the sound will remain cut off until later in the volume number. For example, for the first time the volume at 0.1 will already have some sound, next time only at 0.3, then 0.7, then 1.0, and so on.

I had to turn off and on my kemper to restore the normal behavior in volume.

I was using the internal power amp. Don't know if it will happen to the studio main outputs.

Are you thinking of things like this: <a href="http://digitech.com/en/products/the-drop" class="externalURL" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">digitech.com/en/products/the-drop</a> ? If so, we've had that for ages. Have a look at the Transpose effect.

If you want something that will just go from standard tuning to Drop D.... that's ridiculously hard to do…

I mean exactly "the drop" effect. It's a pitch effect that has to work accurate with chords and single notes.
    I'll try the transpose effect.

Thanks for help and sorry for that silly suggestion.

It would be nice to have a droptune effect that could be placed before amp stack section.
    There are a few stomp boxes doing this job but have it inside the kemper would be really nice and easy.