Posts by Bilbosmeggins

Thanks paults. I realise that many tracks were overdubbed with multiple guitar parts at times, and there's not much we can do on that score. But prominent instruments that we don't have we are seeking to avoid. Also, I should point out that it is unlikely we will ever be playing to an audience. It's just a fun thing whereby we book a hall once a week and get loud. Although the one guy thinks we are gearing up for the Albert Hall. I don't like to dash his hopes though, lol.

Thanks Spikey. I hear what you are saying about TBO, but my band are quite hardline about authenticity. I tried to get Thin Lizzy's Dancing in the Moonlight past them as I totally love it, but it got thrown out because of the sax in the middle eight. I'll deffo have a bit of a perusing session through CCR's catalogue though. Also quite leaning towards something with a bit of pep with ZZ Top under consideration. Anyone know of any ZZT songs that are not overly tricky?

Thanks for the suggestions, paults. Most kind. From the list, we are already having a go at Free's All Right Now, but it's very much "work in progress", due to Paul Kossoff being considerably better than me, lol. The BTO song is a good one, but is heavily keyboards based. I should have mentioned that we are 2 guitarists, a bassist and a drummer, and are seeking to get as close as possible to the source material. As regards the others, the only ones that would really fit in are the two latter ones. And they are waay too tricky for us to even think about, lol. Much appreciated though :)

Hi all. Now I know that this isn't necessarily the right sub-forum, but none of the others fitted either :(

Looking for classic rock song suggestions. I've only been playing the guitar for a little over two years, and am the wrong side of fifty so am never gonna be great, despite all of the practise I put in. I play with a group of lads with a similar level of (in)ability, and we lean towards classic rock. What we are seeking, is a collection of songs that we can play that are relatively simple. But by that, I don't mean I want to play "simplified versions" of songs. We want to play note-for-note renditions. At the moment, we have just a handful of songs that we are playing:

Wishing Well - Free
    Green River - CCR
    The Last Time - Rolling Stones
    Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy (Although we are stretching ourselves with this one as I'm charged with the Eric Bell lead work, and there's lots of it)
    Living After Midnight - Judas Priest

As you can see, that's quite a short set-list so far, that sorely needs expanding. If anyone can think of any songs of a similar ilk that might be achievable by us, I'd love to hear any suggestions. Although please don't take offense if I don't like songs, lol. Taste can be a strange thing ;)

Many thanks
    Andy :)

Believe me: Being THAT resolute won't get you anywhere in the long run.
    So I suggest you get rid of the 3 lesser ones and you will feel much better immediately.

You have probably got a point. The first three will give me no regrets at all, so I shall certainly start with them ;)

Simple, sell what you don't use. Start off with selling one and see how you feel afterwards. Repeat as required.

That's all fine and dandy until I get to the last two, lol.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads guitar-wise. I currently have 5 guitars (discluding my Taylor acoustic), and I'm trying to get down to 1. I could do with getting some space back, and the injection of funds into my poor bank account. Also, it would be nice if I could put all of my hours into just melding with the one guitar rather than bouncing back and forth. Now, culling the 1st three is easy........ I have a cheapo strat that is pretty much worthless, a cheapo Vintage AFD Les Paul, and an American Deluxe Strat that I just don't really like as it just sounds too thin. Then the dilemma kicks in...........

I should point out that I am left-handed, so good guitars don't come around very often.

Now, I have the best playing guitar I have ever owned, it has a neck like butter, feels great and sounds terrific. It is a Wolfgang EVH Special, MIJ. I cannot say enough good things about it. Although pretty common, and not very expensive, I'd struggle to replace it and find another lefty.

My other guitar doesn't feel, play or sound quite as good as the EVH, although that's not to say it's bad. It's not, it's great, but the EVH is a tough act to follow. The thing is, my other guitar is a Tokai LS1000, a 25th Anniversay Les Paul. There were only 25 left-handers made worldwide, and I have number 1 of the production run!! So, if I let that one go I'll never, ever replace it.

Just totally stuck for ideas. I just know that sellers remorse will kick in regardless of which one goes of either the Tokai or EVH. But I'm resolute that I want to get down to one electric. Any thoughts/advice anyone?

Taking a leaf out of the Helix's book, it would be nice if control knobs could be assigned to expression pedals, so to make editing easier. Say, for instance, you could assign it to "Clarity", and then just play the guitar whilst slowly seeking out that sweet spot with the pedal. Then assign it to the next variable. As it stands now, it's a case of playing, then stopping to adjust, and then playing again, and wondering whether it's improved, or if it's all in the imagination. I guess I could always get a loop running and tweak over that. Is that standard practise?

I don't necessarily believe that the Kemper needs "Strymon quality" reverbs, and delays. There are plenty of "lesser" units that compare very favourably to the Strymon's of this world. I'm pretty sure that the KPA could sit with them very easily.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have not been too fond of the boost or distortion sounds, so I still use a variety of those. The Kemper works really well with them.

I should try my HOF in the chain, as I have one laying around unused. What settings are you using OP?

Settings for the HoF? Nothing special. I've just got it placed after the Kemper, going into my DXR10. Primarily using it for spring, and plate, tone set to 12 o'clock, toggle switch set in the up position (not that it seems to make too much difference). Then the rest just dialled in as needed. Quite like the "Church" setting for a nice, ambient and big shimmery-type sound too.

I'm normally a 70's rock tones/Marshall kinda guy, but just WOW!! Just been having a play around with this vintage pack this morning and have favourited more of them than I care to admit. I almost feel like I need to learn a few old-school songs now, and maybe buy a Strymon Deco to complete the picture. Many, many thanks :)

I've had Strymon pedals in the past, and they truly are great. However, I do get the impression that most of their power comes from very clever algorithms, rather than cutting edge hardware. And, given that we've got the King of clever algorithms steering the Good Ship Kemper, Captain CK, maybe it's not such a leap of the imagination to hope for fx of a similar quality to Strymon? I'll hold on to my HoF reverb pedal a little longer, but abstain from the Timeline purchase just to see how the next FW update unfolds :)

............ and what fx do you prefer to farm out to external pedals? As it stands at the moment, as much as I love the Kemper, there are certain FX types that I prefer coming from pedals. I thought the Kemper reverb wasn't too bad, until I placed my trusty TCE Hall of Fame in the chain. The difference was like chalk and cheese. Suffice to say, the HoF is now a permanent fixture. I've also struggled to get a decent, thick 80's-type flanger sound out of the toaster, although that might be down to my own ineptitude. Chorus is another effect that I'm struggling with. Try as I might, I can not get a really thick Andy Summers' type sound at all. And, lastly, the obvious one, delays. I'm currently debating whether or not to buy a Strymon Timeline to cover that area of things, or maybe holding fire to see what the next update brings. Ideally, I wanted the KPA to handle all of my sound, but am thinking this to be a tad overly optimistic.

What pedals (if any) are you lot using to supplement your Kemper sounds?