Posts by joshsylosis

I can't believe I have the one amp that you can't profile without having it modded :( Where do people get these mods done? Do direct profiles work or it has the same problem?

I just went to a local guy 10 minutes from my house who does amp repairs. I told him the issue and he found the amp schematics.
    If there's any type of noise gate in the amps circuit I don't think it will profile. A direct profile would still have the same issues.

Well, the video does advise that you can change around the amps and cabs, so a merged would preserve a much more accurate separation of both where a studio might not. Either way, it's not something I see myself doing so it isn't a big deal. I'm more cognizant of the fact that several profiles appear to have a bunch of EQ's, which is only a slight concern for me since my performance rigs already have predefined slots for effects, and would the profile not sound as useful without the 3-4 EQ's? That's why I'd like to at least have a sample(s) to determine if it's workable for my application.

And I know, I'll be asked, couldn't I just make new rigs and new performances reorganizing my effects around the EQ's? I could, but I like to mash as few buttons as possible and the fewer rigs I have, the less I'm likely to get lost and just rely on a few core sounds with an effects bank on each.

The profiles are studio profiles. I was focusing on variety when making them just with the 53 profiles, but I've found that swapping out cabs from other profiles to be no issue. They are still full of clarity.

In terms of the EQ, the main focus for me doing this is for people recording guitars in the studio. I just wanted to go into as much detail as possible under the microscope with these tones.

I'm extremely confident in the quality of the source tone (the profile without EQ) but inevitably within a mix there are a few things that usually happen. First off is some lo/hi pass filtering to clear up some unwanted sub bass and ultra airy/fizzy high end. Then I search for any whistling or ringing frequencies (most notably around 3.2 or 4k) and I notch these out. Bare in mind some of those frequencies (to my ears) are always an issue to me, even when I've been sent 'perfect' tones to mix by great engineers with great gear that's recorded well. This isn't specific to my tones. So the EQ isn't a crutch for the profiles, just fine tuning. Some profiles may have other areas that I wanted to clean up, for example Orange amps low mids around 300-450ish is usually somewhere I make some cuts.

It's mostly subtle EQ changes in the grand scheme of things. It's very much a fine tuning thing. If you turn the EQ off you're still left with a great profile. I'd say the beauty of this pack is that this EQ is only there if you want it. You can turn it off or play around with it. It's just there to help people with their mixes.

If you want to use these profiles live, removing all of these EQs and replacing them with your effects won't make a huge difference. You may not even notice the difference in a live environment.
    Personally live, my main rhythm tone will be dry with these EQ patches on, then if I want a lead sound with chorus, delay and reverb I can remove any EQ, boost a little mids on the 'amp' part of the Kemper and it still sounds great. I know plenty of guys who even use a completely different amp profile for their lead tone.

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

PS - I've had my Peavey XXX amp modded to bypass the built in noise gate/anti hum so it profiled properly. Before anyone asks who's familiar with this head and tried to profile it.

Hi Guys,

I've just released my Kemper profile pack. The aim was to create great heavy tones ready to sit in your mix.
    Every profile has different amplifier settings and different boost pedals used or not used. The cab portion of each profile is also different. This could mean a different cabinet used, a blend of two cabs at once, different mic placement or two different microphones on the same cab etc.
    So no profile has the same amp or cab setup. Meaning there are even more possibilities than just the 53 profiles included in the pack as you can switch out a cab from one profile and use another.
    I spent months getting the right tones and checking them within a mix context. Trialing them both in the studio and live. Clean profiles have been included as well as some crunch ones too but the focus here is for full-on heavy tones.

This bundle seeks to recreate the sounds of:

Peavey 5150 MKII, Peavey 6505MH, Peavey XXX, Marshall JVM 410H Stealth, Blackstar Series One 50w, Orange Dual Dark 50w, Marshall 1960 Lead, Marshall 1960TV, Orange 4X12, Mesa Oversized, Maxon OD808, VFE Focus, Kartakou Warmer, 2 X SM57, Sennheiser MD421 II

Available to buy at:
    http://www.joshmiddleton.com/shop/

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.