Posts by mightypudge

I'm still in my honeymoon phase with the Kemper. Got one gig and two rehearsals with it so far and it's performed stunningly. The guitar sits really nicely in the mix regardless of the tone or profile I'm using, and the rig just feels right. Not to mention the ease of use, low weight, and tons of flexibility. I can't wait to record with this baby.

Yeah, I'm done with amps for a while. :)

Thanks for the recommendations on profiles, I will check them out. I have read quite a few positive comments regarding the Michael Britt profiles. There are so many profiles and variations available for the Kemper that I could do with a week off to get to grips with it. Unfortunately that isn't possible, so I will continue to chip away at it.

It can be very overwhelming at first. I spent an entire day auditioning profiles the day before my gig, and I barely scratched the surface as to what is available. Luckily using Rig Manager you can really narrow down your search if you have an idea of the tone you're after.

@Guitarjazzman Yeah, I put the Vox AC30 up on eBay. I'd keep it but I have no use for it in my current situation. I live in an apartment so I can't play it at home, and I can't lift it anymore. I'm using the Kemper Remote with a Dunlop DVP3 expression pedal handling the wah duties.

As for favorite profiles, I landed on quite a few yesterday at rehearsal, all from Michael Britt's profile packs. I would say the Suhr Hedgehog profiles were the most versatile and seemed to work with pretty much everything we do, from the 60's to 90's stuff. For a few songs I used the Ceriatone Overdrive Special SRV profiles as they absolutely nail that tone. My other favorites of the day were the Friedman Dirty Shirley, Friedman Pink Taco, Vox AC30, and Victoria Double Deluxe profiles.

This rig continues to put a smile on my face. :)

Today was my first cover band rehearsal with the new KPA > DXR10 rig. I spent all afternoon yesterday putting together some new rigs/performances in preparation for today. I decided to go with several "amp focused" performances that mirror the Example Amp performances that ship with the KPA. By that I mean I chose several amps that I though might complement our music. Then I loaded each amp into its own performance, with each slot covering varying ranges of gain.

Here were the amps I chose (all from the Michael Britt packs):

• Vox AC30
    • Ceriatone Overdrive Special
    • '72 Marshall
    • Suhr Hedgehog
    • Friedman Pink Taco
    • Friedman Dirty Shirley
    • Victoria Double Deluxe

I'd say the clear winner for the more modern sounding material was the Hedgehog, with the Pink Taco and Dirty Shirley rigs coming in a close second. The Ceriatone, Vox, and Victoria rigs were ideal for the older material.

What really makes me smile is how amazing the Kemper does those low gain tones, especially on the "in between" settings on the pickup selector, and how well these higher gain tones clean up by rolling off the volume control on the guitar. I am so thankful to have a digital rig that allows me the ability to be as expressive as I was on my old tube amp based rigs. It's a pleasant surprise. And everything sounds very three-dimensional and huge and realistic. With my DXR10 set up behind me pointing up to my ears, it sounds and feels exactly like an amp should.

The only thing missing from today was the back ache from carrying my AC30 up two flights of steps. :P

I disagree. I'm a long time member there (as well as having been a member of the old PRS forum that TGP morphed from), and I have seen plenty of examples of negative thoughts on the Fractal not going anywhere, as well as nothing but objective responses from Scott regarding every product mentioned. Things only get deleted when they break the forum rules, and anything Fractal related that is deleted is done due to excessive arguments or trolling. Objective and rational criticism never gets deleted (unless it's part of a thread that goes sideways and gets hosed).

I've known Scott since the PRS Forum days as well. I bought my first Rivera Rake from him and he also helped me significantly through a round of P90X. I've always found him to be a standup guy.

Before I decided on the Kemper I got in touch with Scott to ask his opinion because I know he went digital a few years back and I figured he could offer me some insight. He had every opportunity to sell me on the many virtues of the Axe-FX if he were so inclined. Instead he wrote me a very impartial message and told me I couldn't go wrong with either the Axe-FX or KPA and that it just depended on my personal tastes.

I wound up with the Kemper. :)

I wound up with the Yamaha DXR10 for monitoring. The Friedman hasn't been in stock anywhere recently I couldn't wait for one to be built. That said, the more I hear about this thing, the more I want to add it to the arsenal. I'd really like to hear one first but none of the local brick-and-mortars carry them.

i don't understand in which way this is related to the discussion in here.
    gs

To be more clear, after RM initially crashes it becomes increasingly unstable. If I continue to use it without rebooting it will continue crashing every time I try to save a performance, then after a few attempts it will not launch at all (quits on launch). To resolve this, I always reboot after each unexpected quit. But I have not been able to identify the root cause of the initial instability.

If this issue belongs elsewhere feel free to remove my post.

@Guitarjazzman, I was laughing as I read your original post because it sounds so similar to my story from two weeks ago. Even right down to our choice of amps: the Vox AC30HW (mine is currently up for sale).

I also play with a cover band that plays pretty much the same style of music. I'm curious which profiles you landed on for your gig, and if you are going to stick with them. Sounds like we both have to cover a lot of ground.

Glad your gig went well.

believe it or not, I bought a EH Magnum .44 as a low cost experiment and I think it sounds great
    Im running a single 12" open back cab. and haven't had to turn it up past 10:00, so no noise !
    very quiet and powerful. ( as a combo type amp )

Darn. I just sold one of these. I probably should have held onto it, but I couldn't think of a good reason.

I use the DVP3 for wah alone. Here's how I did that. Not sure for wah and vol.
    If you go to the wah stomp fx page you will see 3 pages - go to page 2 to see pedal mode. There you can select various option for when the fx is active. Go to the system option page 5 onwards to set up and calibrate the pedal use pedal mode 1. If using the remote then you can use pedal 3 or 4 for input using a TRS cable ( same for volume ).

Thanks, I will give this a shot.

I read somewhere else on this forum that the wah effect can be setup to trigger when the pedal is in motion, and that you can also set it so that the effect turns off when the pedal is in heel down or toe down position. I hope I have that right, we'll have to wait and see when my TRS cable arrives tomorrow.

Now I am wondering how I can have the same pedal act as a volume pedal.

Hey folks. I opted for the DVP3 to handle my wah and volume pedal duties. Can anyone else using the DVP3 assist me with setup tips?

I know that I need to have a wah stomp assigned to the rig, but how does the effect get turned on (since the DVP3 has no switch)? Can I set it up so that when I move the pedal the wah effect automatically turns on? And if so, how I do turn off the effect?

Thanks all!

If you like the reverb and delay settings in the Britt profiles, you can save them as FX presets - the presets can then be pasted into the other rigs.

I think it is important to set the outputs of the rigs to a consistent level (your sound engineer will greatly appreciate this).

Could you also theoretically just change the Stack portion of the profile to the desired amp/cabinet setup (in this case, the Pick Taco or AC30) while keeping the rest of the profile settings (Stomps, Effects, etc) intact?

Last night was my first real rehearsal with the KPA and it performed absolutely beautifully. I used Michael Britt's 3rd Power profiles and they sounded huge and sat extremely well in the mix.

Later in the night I did some experimenting with some other profiles, specifically Pete's Vox AC30 and Pick Taco profiles (I love me some EL84 amps). One thing I noticed right away is that while these profiles sounded amazingly huge and very realistic, and would definitely work perfectly for recording, the Britt profiles seemed really well optimized for live use right out of the gate.

I'm wondering what tips you all might have for tweaking profiles to get them ready for live use. I did think they could use some delay and reverb, maybe that's the ticket.

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I have been disappointed with the demos I've heard of the Helix thus far. And frankly I have been burned by Line 6 in the past. Too many false promises. They don't get another dime from me.

I had a choice two weeks ago: buy the KPA and remote, or believe the hype and wait for the Helix and save about $1000. You can guess which way I went. No regrets.