Posts by mightypudge

Check out this cool tune featuring lots of free rigs from Rig Exchange. Just more proof you don't have to spend a fortune on commercial profiles to get a great tone right out of the box.

Disclaimer, this is NOT my video. I just found this and thought it would be cool to share.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just like the title says.

Some context: I watched a video of someone running a Radial J48 in front of their Axe-Fx (points to anyone who can guess which video I am referencing) and I honestly couldn't figure out why that would be necessary. I get that the Axe and Kemper are different beasts, but naturally I was curious.

My only thoughts as to why this would be necessary were:

• Tonal benefits (But is that reality or just pixie dust?)
    • Tapping a direct signal for reamping later (with the Kemper, you can do that with the DI out)

I just figured I'd check with people smarter than me to see what reason there might be, if any, to run a DI up front.

For the last few months I have been using an AX8 because a floorboard unit works a lot better for me. The AX8 is really good but I still prefer the KPA tone. I would buy a floorboard KPA in a heartbeat.

Agree on all counts. I'd love to have a KPA floor unit that I could bring to gigs, allowing me to leave my rack unit in the studio.

Don't misunderstand, the Kemper is AMAZING. The Rig Manager software that comes with it is one of the VERY few things I don't like about the Kemper. And it's not all of Rig Manager. For me, it's just the way in works when trying to arrange performances (which, can be done other ways too).

Yep. This. Rig Manager is great as a library for storing and previewing rigs. Its strength is not Performance management... yet. :)

I suspect (and hope, and pray) that Kemper will eventually come through with a brilliantly designed and fully functional software application that will be an awesome rig editor and performance manager.

Regardless, this is absolutely not a show stopper for me. I bought the Kemper before I even knew of Rig Manager and I love the darn thing.

Back on topic, after a year long hiatus I actually have a band rehearsal tomorrow. So, time to create a Performance!

I created one Performance today. It took me almost an hour.

• The process of creating a Performance and loading rigs into the five available slots seems to work fine. However once you start moving between the five slots to edit those five rigs, things can get wonky. I loaded a clean tone into Slot 1, then worked my way down the line, saving after loading each rig. I then started working my way back through the rigs to edit the stomps, and somehow the clean tone in Slot 1 got replaced by the rig I had loaded in Slot 5. I navigate through the slots with the buttons on the Kemper, if that helps.
    • Editing rig names in Performance slots in Rig Manager does not update the names of those Rigs on the Kemper. I would edit the names using the Kemper interface, but using the little dials to scroll between letters just to change a rig name takes a very long time compared to typing them in Rig Manager.
    • Any change you make to a rig in a Performance slot must be saved before you move to the next slot, otherwise those changes are lost. I understand this is just the way it is, but I must have hit that Save button about 1,000 times today. It would be nice for any and all changes to be saved in a buffer somewhere so the only time you need to save is when you are completely done editing the Performance.
    • The Kemper froze twice during the process, both times while trying to copy the stomp effects block. I haven't experienced a freeze like this in over a year using Browse mode.

So my constructive feedback is the process of creating one Performance seemed to take a very long time. That's just my opinion.

Michael, the Soldano profiles are top notch. Well done.

Just loaded them onto the Kemper and I am building some performances with them right now. Have my first band rehearsal in over a year tomorrow and I was worried about which profiles to use. Guess I just found my new go-to rock profiles. :)

With all due respect, I paid enough for my Kemper when I bought the Profiler and Remote. LOL

I'm not saying I wouldn't pay $10 for a quality editor, but seeing as how their closest competitor already has one, and I believe it's free, that should be enough of a reason for our good friends at Kemper HQ to develop one.

That, plus I am fairly certain enough people here have already requested it. Twice. :)

I think we should put up a sticky thread titled "does it Djent?"

The answer is yes. :)

Sinmix, Tone Hammer, 3 Sigma, Origin, CiliLab, the list goes on an on. There are so many good profiles out there. But before you buy any, try the free ones. You may be amazed to find what you need is already on there.

+1

Having some form of cabinet management in Rig Manager would be absolutely amazing.

(A full featured editor similar to what Fractal users have would be heavenly, too! But back on topic, Pudge.)

Like I said, having some form of cabinet management in Rig Manager would be absolutely amazing. :)

The Fish profiles appear to be up. Yeah baby! I am anxious to hear how they sound on my AIC tributes!!

EDIT:: Holy cow! The Fish profiles are awesome! They are going straight to the top of my list. Definitely grabbing the rest of your collection. Keep up the great work!

I am such a huge fan of SoundToys. Echoboy is my go to for delays and ambient effects. I use Devil Loc Deluxe for drums, especially the room tracks. make the whole kit come alive and sound huge. Decapitator and Radiator are becoming my workhorses for adding saturation. They do an amazing job on vocals.