Posts by Mateo11

Could you elaborate?
    I'm suggesting to run two lines from the two main outs. Do whatever you want with the cab profile :)

Sorry misunderstood your original question. If I remember correctly when I tried it that way (turning Cabinet off/main interface ...Main outs Kemper) the profiles I tried to me sounded like they lost some of it's character. Maybe I was using the wrong type of profiles. I was trying things so many different ways I can't remember exactly what I did :) Once I got what I wanted with the monitor out and Y cable I stopped experimenting. I'll maybe try that tomorrow though because I do like the idea of stereo with some delay and chorus. Huge Pink floyd fan here (obvious from my Avatar ha) so I can space out with the best of them!

Hey Ben,

1) Yes the FX return is a full stereo Rig. You will have to run from the master outs on the Kemper Left and Right to the Left and Right of the FX Loop. Then set the Kemper on the Output screen to Stereo. The issue with doing this (I tried) is the only way to turn off the Cab button on the kemper is to run Monitor out which won't give you stereo. I much prefer turning the cab sim off on the Kemper and running Mono monitor out than stereo/Master outs, The profiles sound way better IMO this way. You will need to get a 1/4 inch Y cable from the Monitor out and then run two 1/4 inch cables to the left/right of the Mustang IV. MAKE SURE TO SET THE FX RETURN IS THE SYSTEM MENU ON THE MUSTANG FROM NORMAL TO LOOPER PEDAL. If you don;t it will sound terrible.

2) Yes if you run it stereo as mentioned above

3) You can change the stereo signal to Master mono on the Kemper if you wish (Output settings)

4) If you set the MUSTANG IV to Looper pedal all eq/fx etc are bypassed the only knob that will work on the Mustang will be the Master volume.

Hope that answers your questions if not just let me know. Matt

For what it's worth, when I'm playing at home using my bose soundlink as a speaker, the kemper sounds kinda mediocre and all the profiles sound similar. It's not until I plug into a PA at a show that the kemper comes alive for me. Doesn't matter if I'm using my IEMs or wedges, it always sounds awesome. But honestly if I hadn't had several friends giving me positive reviews and hadn't heard it being used live, I wouldn't have kept the kemper.

I would definitely try using something else at home because the profiles should not all sound the same. Hook it up to your wedge or studio monitors and try that out. My studio monitors and Friedman wedge all worked as advertised but I wasn't getting the sound in the room or feel I desired from playing. Only time the profiles (mostly high gain stuff) all sounded similar to me was when I hooked it up to my EVH 5150III amp. The 5150III power tubes and speakers were overpowering and coloring the flavor of the profiles too much. Going through a solid state amp and "relatively" neutral speakers really helped me achieve what I was looking for.

Definitely try it through something else other than the Bose. Even though I read on here from Paults that he has one and likes it so maybe you got something off with the settings or connections. Hate to think someones out there with a ton of profiles that all sound similar. :)

I actually tried that and it sounded a bit off. Maybe because the Cab off SIM on the Kemper is only available on the monitor out? I got the Y cable from the monitor out and its kicking now! I seen on the other thread you asked why turn the cab off if the speaker in the Mustang is "relatively" flat. I can say that on some profiles if I leave the Cab sim on it sounds like a blanket is over the amp. Not on all profiles just some. Some profiles I can't tell a difference at all if I switch it on or off. But it;s always good when the Cab sim is off so I just leave it that way. I'm still trying to fully understand how the cab driver actually works in the Kemper when set up this way and how different profiles are affected with Cab Sim off.

Not having a go or anything but surely the idea of the Kemper is to eliminate the need for other amps or am I missing something here?:)

That's a good question and you are right the Kemper does eliminate the need or a "requirement" of an amp. When I bought the Kemper I started with a Friedman ASM-12 monitor FRFR and then tried it through studio monitors as well. For ME personally the Kemper sounds very good through those options but in my opinion it sounds and feels a lot better coming out a Solid state 2x12 combo amp. It sounds and feels (obviously) more like an amp "in the room." The sound sweet spot is significantly larger compared to the studio monitors and the Friedman. If I'm giving up any character of the cab in the profile I'm not noticing it and I am gaining a lot n the "feel" department when playing.

I'm not saying this way is better for everyone but maybe it is for some. I'm so used to having that feel and sound of a physical amp in the room it was the missing link I needed to fully appreciate the Kemper.

I'm sure some will wholeheartedly disagree and that's ok......no one can take the smile off my face now.

Hey Ingolf,
    Are you also turning off the cab simulation inside the mustang ?
    Its enabled by default on the return loop unless you turn it off in settings.
    Im curious because once I turned off the Mustangs cab simulation the kemper sounded great through it with cab sim on, and without cab sim it sounds like ur typical preamp distortion with high frequencies and something strange going on in the mids.

the speaker in the Mustang is not flat, it's a guitar amp speaker after all, so IMO it's better to switch off the cab in the Profiler.

Yes it is a guitar speaker in the Mustang IV but the research I did suggested this particular speaker in the Mustang (Celestian G12-80's) are commonly used in modeling amps because they are a bit more neutral. I assume they want something more neutral in a modeling amps so the difference in the amp/cabs character is more pronounced and differentiated between amp/cab models in the amp. It is not FRFR by any stretch but it is a big difference compared to playing the Kemper through my EVH 5150II amp. Not sure if it was the EVH power tubes or the EVH speakers causing the profiles to all sound very similar with a lot of EVH character thrown on top but through the Mustang IV it sounds EPIC. A VOX profile sounds like a VOX and a Mesa sounds like a Mesa etc etc.

I do turn the cab sim off in the Kemper Output menu.

Hello,

I'm having great success with my Mustang III V2. Sice I'm into 1x12 combos it works pretty well but I dont turn the cabs off.
    I also make sure the cab simulation is off on the mustang, since the return loop does pass through cab simulation unless its specifically set off.

I don't see a cab sim off option on my Mustang IV?

I'm pretty sure with the Mustang IV they changed the Loop position to pre instead of post. So I had to to go into settings on the Mustang and change the Loop Position from Normal (Pre) to Looper Pedal (Post). Maybe that is what turns the cab sim off? It sounded horrendous until I did this and I'm pretty sure now that is what affects the cab sim on the Mustang because if I leave it on Normal and play a profile while scrolling through the amp models on the Mustang you can hear the sound/character changing. Once I set it to Looper pedal (post) and play a profile no settings/dials on the amp except for the Master volume affect the profiles sound.

Unless you have a control to turn the speakers' connection into double mono, you might just use the two main outs with their default output settings (Master Stereo).
    Or, if you are not interested in going stereo, a Y-cable (3xTS) from the Monitor out will work great :)

Thanks Viabcroce. I ended up buying a 1/4 TS Y cable today and it works awesome!

Hi. I have a new combo amp I'm connecting to the Kemper. It is different to other amps I have owned and connected to the Kemper in the sense that it has a Right and Left input under the Return FX Loop on the back of the amp. (also has right and left for Send as well) What is the correct way to connect this to the Kemper? And how do I set it in the Output menu Master Mono/Mod Mono/Master Stereo etc?

I've hooked it up like I had before from Monitor out Kemper to the return input Left but only get sound from one speaker. Do I need a Y 1/4 cable out from the Monitor input on Kemper and then Left AND Right to the Left & right Return of the Amp?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Hey everyone...

Wanted to share with everyone something that has worked tremendously for me today. I love my Kemper but just couldn't gel 100% with the sound I was getting out of it from my Friedman ASM-12 and/or my studio monitors (Alesis 620's). The things I didn't like were the usual frustrations I read from some which were it never felt like I was getting the amp in the room feel (I know I know :) ), it also didn't sound "full" or 3 dimensional to me either from the ASM-12 or my studio monitors. Also I tend to like to walk around when I play and that really mucked with the sound sweet spot depending on where I was in the room (especially with my studio monitors).

I tried a number of options like placing the Friedman on a monitor pole to get to ear level helped a little with the sound dispersion but still wasn't doing it for me. I then hooked up the Kemper to my EVH 5150III combo amp and it started to sound (obviously) more like an amp in the room but.....all the profiles sounded very similar (especially high gain profiles) and definitely had "character" seeping through from my EVH amp. Rightly so from the EVH power tubes and also from the G12M speakers.

Long story short I went to GC today and bought a Fender Mustang IV 2x12 amp. I figured I would try it out hooked up to the Kemper and if no dice then return the Mustang. If it didn't work well with the Kemper and I liked the Mustang amp then I would sell the Kemper and keep the amp. Well I got the amp home and played around with it and was actually VERY impressed with it for $400 (bought floor model). Yes it's not in the EXACT same league as the Kemper but at that price point it's amazing and IMO its WAY better than the POD HD500x I used to have.

So I hooked the Kemper up to the Mustang IV and I FINALLY get the sound I was really hoping to achieve from the Kemper. The profiles all sound different like I hoped they would (cabs off in monitor output of course). A Vox sounds like a VOX and a Mesa Rectifier sounds like a Rectifier. It is ALL "Amp in room" sound. Sounds the same and awesome whether I am in front of or off axis to the speakers/amp cabinet. The Mustang IV obviously is a solid state so no tubes to color the sound and the speakers are Celestion G12P-80's from which I understand are fairly "flat" speakers (used in a lot of modelling amps). It's honestly the best set up for ME maybe others too who want more of a feel like a traditional guitar set up so I thought I would share. Gotta give credit again to Ingolf for giving me the idea with his Mustang III comments he made on some threads here and the video he did comparing it with some other monitors he had.

Hope this helps anyone that is really wanting to utilize the Kemper in a more traditional set up. The Mustang IV can usually be found for $300 or so used and arounf $400 new if you buy a floor model like I dd. Cheaper than my Friedman was and immensely more enjoyable (to ME) with the Kemper.

Peace!

:thumbup:

I actually found the "Ancient Rig" profile today when downloading some profiles off the Kemper website. This is not the profile I am talking about. The profile I am referring to called "Crunch" that appeared on my Kemper is totally different. Oh well I'm not going to guess the Kemper gods anymore on how or why this profile showed up on my Kemper ...I'll quit questioning it and just enjoy it!

Here is what I do to thicken up or add depth to a profile. In my opinion though I believe some profiles tend to sound "fuller" "thicker" "3-D'ish" due to the miking distance when the amp was profiled. I remember reading somewhere that one of the commercial vendors here (I believe Armin/Soundside) talking about microphone placement when profiling and the impact on how this affects the depth/fullness of the captured sound. I could be entirely wrong on this since I am in no ways experienced profiling amps but I do remember reading this somewhere.

Here are some things I do that have definitely helped IMO to add depth to some profiles I use. I will usually do them in this order and tweak as I go.

1) Add a Graphic EQ in "X" slot. Boost volume in Graphic EQ somewhere around + 2
    2) In the Graphic EQ I'll boost the 160hz and 320hz anywhere from 1.5 db - 3.5 db
    3) Add a Compressor pedal in Stomp A - I will use this for clean and crunch/breakup tones. I normally don't use a compressor pedal for high gain tones though. Usually I set the Intensity to the 4-6 range and Attack 3-5 range.
    4) In the Amp Tone Stack Section- I definitely adjust the Power Sagging after I play a open power chord until I hear the sound beginning to get "thicker" for lack of better word. Not sure why this works because I understand power sag is just how hard the tubes are working/breathing but I find it has a definite relation to the fullness of the sound.
    5) In the Amp Tone Section- I will generally adjust the compressor in this (Tone Stack section) the same as I adjust the Power Sag by playing an open power chord and then just raising the level until I hear it adding to the depth of the sound. Once I hear the sound becoming fuller I stop. More is not always better and can make things muddy and lose character. I'm careful with this though the more gain I am using since I tend to like this parameter adjusted higher more on the clean and edge breakup profiles.
    6) Add the Pure Boost pedal in slot B or C and increase the volume slightly in the Pure Boost parameter
    7) Reverb! - Reverb applied correctly IMO will really help shape the depth of the sound. I usually set my reverb time at 2.5 , predelay at 100ms mix around 25%-50% (depending on profile) damping at 5 bandwidth at 3.5 and freq at -1.5. I got these settings off someone here at the forum and have been using this for my reverb for a while now.

A couple of other things I'll do if I still feel it sounds a bit thin.
    1) Add ANOTHER Graphic EQ in Stomp D .....boost some lows and mid ....boost volume in EQ pedal
    2) Add Stereo Widener in Mod Stomp - Set Intensity to around 4 Tune around 5

Like I said some of this may not be the "correct" way but it works for me. I struggled like you with a lot of profiles I tried in the beginning sounding way too thin. I've now spent many many hours trying to figure this out and have come up with the above to help make my profiles sound bigger. I'm open to anyone else's suggestions as well because I'm always looking to get better.

Keep in mind too some profiles I believe (IMO) are mic'd better than other profiles and thus sound better. If you do the above steps and its not working for you ditch that profile for another. Starting with a profile that sounds super thin to begin with is not ideal keep looking until you find one that is in at least range of working with.

Anyone out there confirm (from profiling experience) that placing the mic further from the amp when profiling would capture a bigger/thicker/fuller sound? Not sure if it would but remember someone talking about it on here.

Thanks. Very good info there and will read up on it more. The Studio EQ just seems to get WAY more overcomplicated as it gets explained. ha. I guess its like the OP said on that link/post since there is so much differing terminology used for the same thing gets a little confusing.

Maybe I should have just asked a more important and single question instead of my many questions. Why do people opt to use the Studio EQ over a graphic EQ? Is the studio EQ more like a surgeons tool able to dial in more accurately than a graphic EQ? I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and I feel like the Studio EQ people should offer a class at night at some Community College. I feel like it may require a notebook a chalboard and a professor like Doc from Back to the Future.