Posts by Illold3chordme

JinxDefusing Any luck since this post finding a Blue album profile? I've been on the same (relatively unsuccessful) hunt as you. The right Mk1 profile for us just doesn't seem to exist, but I recently picked up a Les Paul Jr with P90s, so I'm feeling motivated to try and nail that tone again.

I've been looking for various indie rock tones, but haven't had much luck. There doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about college/indie rock in general in the Kemper world, but there are some great guitar tones to be found there! Does anyone know of any rigs with tones similar to the rhythm guitar in these songs?

• Ted Leo - "Me and Mia", "Who Do You Love" (He gets this great slightly distorted/broken up-amp tone that sounds really crisp and powerful.)
    • Spoon - "Car Radio" (I think they favor Vox AC30s)
    • Pixies -"Allision" and "Velouria"
    • Weezer "My Name is Jonas", "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here"

If anyone had any rigs that they felt came close to the aforementioned songs, or just those bands in general, I'd really appreciate it if you could share them! Thanks!

If you mention specific songs and guitar parts, it may make it easier for people to make suggestions.

Hey Paults, thanks for responding. The crunchy, electric rhythm on Blue that is pretty similar/consistent throughout the album is what I'm mostly after, like "My name is Jonas," No One Else," "The World Has Turned...," etc. Also, the tone of the guitar solos on "No One Else"/"In the Garage."

In regards to Pinkerton, I'm more interested in the lead tones, like the solo in "Tired of Sex", or the slightly less distorted lead guitar from the intro/outro of "No Other One" and the verses of "Pink Triangle." Actually, all of "Pink Triangle" tones would be nice to have some insight into.

Does anyone know of any commercial (or free) profiles that cover the guitar tones from Weezer's Blue and Pinkerton albums? If it helps, I found online that the Blue album rhythm (which is what I'm most interested in emulating) was primarily a Les Paul DC w/ P90s or a red Strat copy into a Rare Mesa MK I (pre 'Boogie') amp in conjunction with a Pete Townshend style "Mock 8/10" Marshall stack with four Vintage Celestions staggard inside of it). Another Marshall may have been used as well, but I can't find any details about that.

That's all probably way too specific to be helpful, but maybe it will point someone in the right direction!

Hey Michael, thanks for the response! I only need an interface with 1-2 inputs since I only record guitar and vocals. Since I got a Kemper, I was hoping to find an interface with minimal I/O and coaxial S/PDIF, and the only option seems to be the Lyra 2. I know there are cheaper interfaces with way more I/O (from RME and Focuserite, for example) but they all seem a little lower in quality than what I'm shooting for.

I don't necessarily need something as high end as the Lyra, but there doesn't really seem to be a happy medium between that and something like the Scarlett where I could have S/PDIF and not have to pay for a ton of I/O I won't use.

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a Prism Sound Lyra 1 or Lyra 2 to use with my Kemper. The Lyra 1 only has one XLR input, and 1 TRS input, while the Lyra 2 has 2 of each of those. The Lyra 2 also has coaxial S/PDIF, which the Lyra 1 does not.

I don't really need to record more than one thing simultaneoausly, and I always record guitar in mono, so it makes financial sense to go with the cheaper Lyra 1. However, now that I have a Kemper, I'd like to take advantage of its S/PDIF recording and reamping capabilities. However, I have no experience reamping or recording with S/PDIF, so I'm not sure if those features are worth the extra ~$500 the Lyra 2 would cost me.

What do you all think? Is the convenience of reamping and the fidelity of S/PDIF worth the extra cost? Also, could I reamp a mono analogue recording and still end up with quality audio fidelity, or would that degrade the signal?

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a Metric Halo ULN-2. Does anyone use their Kemper with this interface? It seems like that combo shouldn't be an issue, but I'm hoping someone with first hand experience using both units together could confirm that.

One thing I'm a little unclear on is the SPDIF connections on both units . I believe the ULN-2 has coax SPDIF I/O, and the Kemper has a coax SPDIF out. So, DI'ing via SPDIF should be a straightforward process, correct?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give!