Posts by SheldonCooper

Dual amps can sound good but it's not vital and it can be already done, while profiling at least.
    Dual cabs/mics for stereo is a different world: currently you can get a stereo sound with the various delay modes, but all of them have their problems especially when it comes to mono compatibility. I wish at least the Kemper editor offered a way to have proper mic simulation and panning, so you could get a true stereo with perfect phase between mics L/R. Something like the Universal Audio OX.
    A stereo cab into the Kemper would be best!

Well... It seems to me that the only reasons Kemper would "need" to release a new hardware platform is if A. The existing unit finally ran out of memory and/or horsepower to continue the present upgrading approach, or B. Sales of the current version dropped below a specific threshold due to not being competitive in its market. But if the current model is still meeting all sales goals, then I don't see any reason to fix what ain't broken.

But that is exactly what's happening: for the same price the quad cortex offers more connections and possibilites, a lot more power and it's smaller. The display, interface and everything about it is better (to most people at least), and that's quite normal considering how "old" the Kemper is.

Personally I keep playing my Kemper because it's the one that sounds best to me, but I'd love to have at least a stereo option! Not even two amps, just two cabs or two mics. That alone would make the Kemper much more modern. I believe most people today, considering the price, would get the quad cortex and that is the reason why Kemper should update something... I would love a very small Kemper with just a few switches, no profiling capability and stereo.

Just my opinion but it will get outdated soon if they just keep offering "minor" updates, and I'm talking from new and future buyers perspective.

I thought the gain knob did something different to the profile, not just a boost of the guitar signal pre stack, but that makes sense.

It's also in the manual:

The Pure Booster features a “Volume” control like all the other effects, but that’s it. The
    “Volume” control will boost or attenuate the signal without coloring the sound. When
    you place it in front of the amp or a distortion stomp, the Pure Booster has the same
    effect as the gain or drive control
    ; placed after the stack section, the Pure Booster
    becomes a simple volume control, with no further coloration of the signal.

I'm having a little problem and don't know if it's a bug or if I have a faulty unit.

As you can see in the video, when connecting a cable to pedal 2, the morph function gets activated. The morph button lights up and also the LEDs on the switch.

When connecting a cable to pedal 1, the tuner gets activated randomly.

No big deal as the cables don't have to be constantly plugged and unplugged, but does this happen to you?

You can set the brightness separately for the color LEDs, the buttons, the LED collars and the TAP button. ;)

Yes, and when I checked that I noticed the leds weren't even at max! They are very bright, beautiful!

Are these controls exclusively for the stage or is it a new option introduced with OS7 also for the rack/toaster version?

Don't cover it; it's there to enable convection through the unit, Sheldon.

Just use risers of your choice to create at least as much clearance as it would've had otherwise.

A floor unit with a vent on the bottom, isn't that weird? :rolleyes:

Maybe with thick velcro on the sides (3M for example), there is still a small gap between the stage and the board.

My Stage has arrived and I had a couple of problems like "freezing" during the power on process and it messed up my audio interface so bad (via s/pdif) that I had to restart my pc to make it work again.

Anyone having problems with the plastic display cover? Mine is not placed very well... seems like it's not "glued" on the right side and if you touch it, it "sinks" a little bit. That doesn't seem a huge problem btw. Same for the knobs: bass, middle and treble are "firm", the presence knob is way looser.

The layout is kinda weird coming from the rack version and I really miss the undo function, please come up with a way to undo =O;( and what about the vent on the bottom? I hope covering that vent is not going to be a problem when placing the Stage in a pedalboard with velcro ecc.

Also, I don't like the fact that it turns on as soon as you plug the power cable, and the on/off button light stays on even when you turn the Stage off.

That said, all the leds seem brighter to me and it sounds better than the rack version! I know it's just my brain, but during the last week I played with a modeler and I kinda got used to that crappy sound. Playing the Kemper again feels like being in heaven. Oh and the morph button..

Ok,

I heard it said on a YT video about the workings of the profiler stage; that you should find profile you like & use it as is. I find that all hi gain profiles need some tweaking like reduction of treble & an increase in gain on the guitar I use, which has a medium output bridge pickup (SD Full Shred).

It sounds absolutely awesome. I added a green screamer to the Top Jimi brown sound FW M profile & it sounds awesome. As do the Keith Merrow 5153 profile

You can do whatever you want to the profiles as long as you like the results. Personally I don't like to add gain to the profile with the gain knob, I use a stomp for that, sounds better to me or I look for a profile with more gain. If you are looking for good metal high gain profiles, check out the Lasse Lammert folder in the rig manager (or the STL Tones packs, but they are not free).

EDIT: check this out

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Not only that, you also get the guitar sound going to the speakers and the delayed sound going into your DAW on top of that, creating phase issues... that is why I gave you the simplest solution above: connect everything as usual (kemper to scarlett, scarlett to speakers) and open 2 channels in your DAW, panned left and right. You can save a project like that so it's quick to recall.

I don't think you can set the kemper main outputs like that. If you get a new interface, yes go for spdif.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but did you notice the Stage has lower specs? For example:

Analog Outputs PROFILER Head, PowerHead, Rack, and PowerRack:

MAIN OUTPUT L and R:

XLR balanced, ¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: XLR +22 dBu, TS +16 dBu

Kemper Stage:

MAIN OUTPUT L and R:

XLR balanced, ¼ inch TS unbalanced with ground lift max. output level: XLR +15 dBu, TS +15 dBu

And the input is "impedance 22 kohms - 1 megohms selectable". Selectable where? In the input section?

Also, the kemper stage S/PDIF can be set to slave.

Unfortunately I have a gen 1 or 2... not sure how I can tell but definitely not a generation 3.

My version doesn’t have any software.

I would like stereo sound without having to go through my DAW.

What’s the benefit of monitors through the audio interface anyway?

It's just easier to connect and record: 4 cables instead of 6, free 2 Kemper outputs, free return and alternate input. If you record your guitar, you'd still have to open 2 channels and pan them in your DAW, and monitor from there (unless you want to record with your DAW channels muted). Also you may have some problems with latency and sound if you send your Scarlett out to your kemper in and back to your speakers, but if all that works there's no problem as long as you like the results.

I’m asking cause my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) doesn’t seem to support panning, so if I go from KPA to 2i2 with 2 TRS cables I get mono audio from monitors connected to the 2i2.

I’d really love to hear the stereo effects directly from the Kemper into the monitors and still be able to send the signal to the audio interface for recording without having to plug and unplug cables.

Thanks

Pippo

If you have a 2i2 3rd gen, it should support panning in the mixer control software, otherwise you can play through your DAW and get stereo panning from there. Just create 2 mono channels in your DAW and set their inputs respectively on 1 and 2, then you can pan channel 1 on the left and channel 2 on the right. It should work!

About the sound quality, make sure to not hit your converters too hard and stay on green.

Just received my Stage today. Never had a profiler before & didn't buy it to profile my own amps but to play others :).

I have only used the early Line 6 UX1, 11 rack & Amplifire Box (with which I was very happy). Have heard nothing but good things about Kemper products & I'm psyched to get to know the workings of this machine.

If you use the right profiles, it will be like night and day and you'll be very happy with your purchase. Now that I sold my Kemper, I'm playing through a famous modeler and it sounds laughable in comparison with the Kemper. (I won't say the name of it to create suspense and to avoid a web riot).