Posts by MCVA444

Would you mind posting these results as an audio direct comparison?

I would love this feature. Currently trying to integrate a new monitor setup and this would be ideal in order for the DAC to occur only once in my signal chain (at the monitoring stage)

If you are only recording instruments one at a time, you probably don't, but keep in mind that high end doesn't only imply more inputs. They also often have better drivers, converters, etc. That doesn't mean just inputs. Even the sound you hear over your monitors will benefit due to the better DAC. And with heavy projects with A LOT of tracks, you will also see better performance when recording additional parts as you won't have to increase the buffer too much or even at all. It's not as big a deal as more RAM and a better CPU or even an SSD, but in my experience, using a cheap interface will see more dropouts at the same settings than a more expensive one more often than not.

Sorry I missed this reply the first time round. Cheers for the info.

Well, if you listen to music over it, you'll be able to tell the difference. Plus higher sample rates if you want them. And assuming you ever want to plug in something else, that'll also be an improvement.

@nightlight nailed it!

Not to mention pre-amps :D and what's required for your workflow.

Okay cheers guys. Probably not worth upgrading from my mbox 2 pro then . :)

Yeah it is a bit confusing, but not too bad once you get used to it. Just set the SPDIF output to 'git/master left' and you're basically okay. Also using only the S/PDIF you don't have to worry too much about the clean, distortion and reamp sens so that makes it easier. It's not possible to monitor/record in stereo whilst also recording a DI track in mono this way, as you use one S/PDIF channel for the processed tone and one for the DI signal.

However I found the following thread a while back which describes how to setup the Kemper for zero latency and stereo monitoring whilst recording via S/PDIF:

Low latency monitoring for (home) recording

It's a great setup for me and it's how I have my Kemper set up all the time. I would recommend checking it out! I love not having to worry about latency issues whilst monitoring my performance when recording.

Also, good idea regarding incorporating Voodoo labs unit - sounds like lots of fun!

Nice. However this method means you must first go through an analog to digital conversion stage which is unnecessary and *may* affect the tone in a bad way. Connecting via spdif to your Daw negates this potential issue, as the signal digital throughout. The cleanest way is to connect via spdif, especially if you record the di at ‘studio’ level. All you then have to do is change the input mode to reamp, and change track output assignments in your daw accordingly - not much if any more hassle than your method. Using the studio input level setting for my DI I’ve never had any level issues when reamping.

Timmons is known for mostly using the Mesa Lonestar. Here is the video I was referring to:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He talks about the delay times he uses. I use them for my lead tones now

Its good to know that it really doesn't matter then. I just read a lot of peoples opinions on the kemper and I have run across a few times now people saying they don't like that the pickup has an impact on the profile. I also saw Keith Merrow talking about how he finds that sometimes he cant get some profiles to sound good because the kemper takes all things into account including the pickups. Either way I learned a couple new things that will help me get better tones. So thanks everyone.

Just read the profiling manual. It talks about the process in there.

Here's a video performance of the solo from our track 'void':

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.