Posts by MCVA444

My band have released a sampler video ahead of the upcoming release of our debut EP on the 1st of September. If you enjoy it, help us out by spreading the word and pre-ordering the Cd. We used a bunch of Kemper tones, including some @Deadlightstudio and @lonestargtr profiles amongst others - too many to remember! Anyway let me know what you think of the guitar tone.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Listen & Pre-order: https://www.illusionaryrecords.com/ |
    Listen to the full track 'Void': https://psion.bandcamp.com/releases |
    More info: https://www.facebook.com/PsionBand

Edit: Apologies but I mistakenly created two threads for this.

My band have released a sampler video ahead of the upcoming release of our debut EP on the 1st of September. If you enjoy it, help us out by spreading the word and pre-ordering the Cd. We used a bunch of Kemper tones, including some @Deadlightstudio and @lonestargtr profiles amongst others - too many to remember!

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Listen & Pre-order: https://www.illusionaryrecords.com/ |
    Listen to the full track 'Void': https://psion.bandcamp.com/releases |
    More info: https://www.facebook.com/PsionBand

I'm guessing by line out you mean the di output? Putting a volume pedal before the input of the 2nd amp would just affect the gain no? Wouldn't it best to put it in the fx loop of the 2nd amp?

Either way, it wouldn't be a blend in the truest sense, as when you bring in the second amp things would get a whole lot louder hehe. You'd need to be able to mix the two signals with overall volume being the same....

From the ones I have tried, I think the best thing about them is how dynamic they are, and for want of a less generic term, the 'feel' when playing them as they react similarly to a real amp. I agree that they are dark. I have messed with the amp settings as suggested, but only adding treble/presence or cutting bass and mids via the eq can really change this. I attribute the inherent dark character mainly to three things. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Firstly, M Britt seems to dig mostly single coil type guitars, whilst also using special p90s which he says are brighter than standard ones(check the gear videos on his website). If he uses these to dial in his tones then naturally if one uses humbuckers then they will sound darker.

Secondly, as previously mentioned the profiles are catered towards live use, and as such probably sound best played loud. As I'm sure many of you know, our ears perceive relative frequency levels differently at various volumes(google fletcher-Munson curves), and so it's a by-product of compensating for the perception of increased treble during the profiling process:

• At low listening volumes – mid range frequencies sound more prominent, while the low and high frequency ranges seem to fall into the background.
    • At high listening volumes – the lows and highs sound more prominent, while the mid range seems comparatively softer.

So it may be that he is profiling them with this in mind, although that doesn't explain the amount of bass that people talk about.....it would be interesting to find out more about his profiling process and how loud he listens back to the tones when engineering and refining in the studio.

Thirdly, as also mentioned, he mostly profiles through his 3rd power cab(are all his profiles done using this cab?). I don't know much about the cab, but given it's a 2x12, and if it is naturally brighter than most, then it would make sense that he may be compensating for this during the profiling process by reducing the treble and/or adding using appropriate mic placement.

And last but not least, he just digs the beefy tones :)

Personally I think the profiles have been optimised for rock, blues and country and pop type stuff and for tele, strat type guitars they are amazing. However if you're looking for profiles optimised for metal/shred with humbuckers, then it would make sense to look elsewhere. I get the impression thats not really the style of music he gravitates towards anyway.

Edit: It's possible that M Britt may chime in and dispel all of my possible theories, but at least you can tell I've given it some thought haha.

I think just the mars 900 and 2k used humbuckers.

Okay thanks. Unfortunately I don't have any single coil type guitars(want to buy a strat at some point), but I noticed that you like your p90s, and I do own
    an ibanez js700 which has them pre-installed :). Which amps did you profile using p90s, and more generally which ones would you recommend for a p90 type guitar? In fact, which amp packs of yours do you think would be best for those pickups? Sorry for the abundance of questions, just deciding which packs to purchase. Cheers!

doing a few quick adjustments on the EQ is the most normal thing after plugging into an amp. I don't find it surprising at all that the same is true for Profiles of amps.

I'm sorry but that analogy doesn't quite sit with me. Unless all amps come out of the box with the users perfect settings already dialled in then of course you're going to have to twist knobs from the neutral 12 o'clock position. Through the profiling process this should have been already done so it's not the same. If the guy/gal profiling knows what he/she is doing, and if the replication of the mic' d up amp by the profiler is accurate (two big ifs) then things should be dandy. I see messing with the eq as a way of adjusting for guitar type, as a last resort after changing the amp settings. Any significant changes of eq starts getting me worried, maybe because I'm a bit obsessive!

This is pretty interesting:

External Content youtu.be

The Kemper seemed to like the Fredman technique a lot more than the others. Could be to do with the type of mic? I.e. Dynamic versus a combination of dynamic and ribbon.

Recorded a quick clip of Satch Boogie. Sorry for the dodgy playing, I just learnt it today! That swing feel is tricky!

External Content soundcloud.com

Edit: Forgot to say - sweet profile!

It would be great to have a clear distinction between mix ready stuff, and a live 'amp in the room' type setting, with the former having whatever processing you feel is necessary for recording with and the latter being as close to the real amp tone as possible.

I'm pretty sure I have the same problem as what you are describing. My solution was to buy long cables and have computer right across the other side of the room. I remember looking into this issue years ago online - very frustrating! I thought it was just pickups receiving interference from the computer fan......

In doing my tests I also found that switching off Bluetooth on the computer helped with noise quite a lot. I used the Magic Mouse but when finding this out I switched back to the just plain old wired mouse and keyboard;)

I Will try disabling c-states(I'm planning on overclocking my computer so will probably need to anyway).