Posts by MCVA444

Perhaps you can PM me if you have any questions.

Nah I don't have any questions, I have the manual which is a far better reference. For example:

'The refining process is actually independent of the type of your guitar. It is about adapting the distortion characteristics, as well as polishing the attack and dynamic response. The resulting profile will act and respond accurately no matter what guitar or pickup you use.'

I'm happy to share my source if you struggle to find it.

Am interested in this and will definitely be taking a listen when I can. The manual states that the guitar shouldn't matter as far as I remember. I think it's more to do with tracking the amp/speakers response to output and therefore gain rather than frequency response. May be wrong though - Perhaps you could double check the manual for me schreckmusic ;)

Just thought I'd add a comparison vid that I did a while back:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

No processing has been done to either clip, and I only did one or two refining passes for a minute or so.

I believe they used Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem'o'verbs for quite some time. Plenty of profiles of that amp so just search on rig exchange or consider purchasing a commercial pack.

If you are looking for a great IIC+ free profile, try the 05-IIC+ LEAD rig in the RE. This is my ready to go rig

Just tried this profile. Great stuff! Chunky yet tight, clear and defined yet still smooth in the top end! Playing it though Ibanez JS guitar with P90 pickups. Is it a stand alone profile or part of a pack?

The Friedman is definitely the darkest and muddiest profile in this set. It's one that I have a hard time using but it can sound good with the right guitar at the right settings I guess. If a different cab makes it work better, that's what I would recommend.
    As far as sounding like the video, I think much of it has to do with the guitar and with your speakers. I have a really hard time getting my Kemper to sound "right" through my studio monitors at home. I only trust my Ultimate Ears UE7s or my Xitone cab when I'm tweaking because all headphones and speakers have a pretty drastic eq curve even though they are supposedly "flat". It's what you have and get used to and tweak to that can make it work for you. Maybe my UE7s aren't flat but they're just what I'm used to so they sound "right".

I tried these profiles with my Strat through my monitors and they sounded ok, but as soon as I picked up my Anderson tele they all sounded better, so different pickups are part of the equation as well. The good news, I guess, is that there are lots of free tonal options available so hopefully you can find profiles that work for you. Even after making hundreds of profiles, I still gravitate toward the same 10-15.

Following on from what Michael said here and also from a previous thread, I stopped using my headphones and instead have been using good quality in-ear earphones by etymotic. Makes a large difference to the clarity of the tones as good in-ears don't have as much bass as headphones, even neutral ones made for mixing such as my sennheiser hd600s. If you have some decent earphones I'd suggest practising through those instead.
    Michael, your comment about using UE7s makes sense to me as now that I'm using in-ears the tones sound a lot more balanced! Cheers!

Edit:

Eltzejupp, now that I've re-read your post it would appear you've tried different setups already. However I'd still recommend trying some in-ears. Also, might be an obvious one but how old are your guitar strings? Have you tried going through the spdif to your interface ? I have found that using spdif yields better tones, with more top end. Also is there a difference in tone between the headphone output straight from the Kemper, and the tone you have recorded via your audio interface? If there is difference and you have been using analog outputs from the Kemper then this may give you clue that you're losing some top end. Might be a good idea to compare recorded clips using the analog outputs and spdif outputs if you're able.

I don't add any eq during profiling or after. Some of the low end may be attributed to Fletcher Munson curves and volume. I find some of my profiles sound darker at lower volumes but sound balanced at high (stage) volume. Definitely, tweak the definition a bit with humbuckers. I find humbuckers have a wide range of tone and it's hard to "solve" for all of those variables on my end but that's why I try to find mic positions and settings where the Definition has room to change both up and down so it can be adjusted. Many high gain amps have a lot of high frequency distortion which makes the Definition really high but it can't be brightened that way after the fact using the Definition. My baseline humbucker has been a Gibson 57 Classic when profiling higher gain amps lately. It is more vintage voiced, so if you have hotter or warmer humbuckers you may have to tweak the Definition as well as use some EQ for a low cut to get it in balance. The 5150 pack seems to have a little clearer cut without the low end build up.

You can also try swapping cabs from other rigs if you find a cab that gets rid of the low end. It can sometimes work. I've done that a little bit on some hard to tweak rigs.

Okay, cheers. I tend to always practise/play with headphones, not through a live cabinet. Do you think this could be factor?

Hey guys, might seem like a silly question, but I was hoping save a bunch of Tonehammer's merged cabs as presets to test out and was hoping to not have to go through each profile and save each can individually, as this seems long-winded(and I'm a lazy c**t). Can any of you suggest a better way of achieving this? It would be great if I could import them as a pack using a USB. Deadlight Studio, would you ever consider selling/releasing a pack like this? Your cabs sound great.

Thanks for the tips regarding muffled-ness. Britt profiles are wonderfully dynamic but I too find them pretty muffled, along with TAF and top jimi for that matter. Seems to be a common sound that they each have for their profiles. Do you know if those guys add any eq or preprocessing before profiling?

I'll also add that it would be more beneficial to look at the RMS level rather than the peak level for your purpose.

This. But if you are also interested in peak levels, the auto gain plugin by hornet plugins is useful for what you are after. It will auto level any input signal typically to -18dfs, but that reference level can be adjusted. You could use this for a more accurate way of setting the same (peak) levels across profiles.

so he's artificially enhancing the gain as opposed to letting the kemper attempt to capture it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of profiling?

Yes, I suppose so. But he doesn't try to pretend that it's the most accurate way of profiling if replicating the tone of the amp is what goal is. Rather he goes on to say that it produces something unique, which he actually prefers to the original amp tone. Hence why it sounded like an intriguing idea to try out. If you're interested I'd encourage you to listen to that part of the podcast that I referenced as obviously he'll be able to explain better than I can.

Edit:

Just realised he talks about it at 42:00. Have updated the original post.

Hi all,

I was listening to a podcast interview with Keith Merrow the other day where he went into his recording techniques in quite some detail. Some of the discussion was about his Kemper and how he profiles his amps. He mentions that his secret to getting his high gain tone was by profiling the amp just at the/past the point of breakup,and then adding the extra desired gain in the Kemper once the profiling has taken place. I've not tried this out, but I thought some peeps would be interested as a lot of people dig his guitar sound. I realise I'm posting this in the general discussion forum whereas it might be better suited to the tips and tricks section, however I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind testing this out? Perhaps also doing a side by side comparison of the different profiles, one with the gain coming from the amp pre-profile, and one with gain coming from the Kemper post profiling. Unfortunately I'm not able to profile my amps at the moment hence my reason for asking!

Here's the link to the interview:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They start talking about the Kemper technique at 42:00.

when you say "ac/dc's exact settings", do you mean the settings seen in Premier Guitars "Rig rundown" ?

External Content www.youtube.com

Yeah! They sound pretty cool!