Posts by Strider

Don't add too many profiles! .

The unit I purchased was used, and came with hundreds of profiles the previous owner had either made for himself or purchased. Then I got WAY too excited and added more from both the Rig Exchange and the pros, not stopping to consider how many came with each and how many I was accumulating. Almost before I knew what had happened, I had 726 profiles, which is ludicrous. Since then I have pared back massively. At least for me, there are maybe a dozen amps I really want access to, plus some cool things like Top Jimi's Brown sound pack. By the time I have picked my favorites, I hope to be down to fewer than 50, certainly no more than 100. Given the ability to add effects, tweak EQ settings, and all the rest, that will be more than enough for me (WAY more than enough, frankly).

Go slow, and learn to use the Rig Manager. The world of rigs is easy to get lost in.....

Layman's terms :
    A burger joint has a special Secret Sauce. I taste the Secret Sauce and determine that it must be made up of a combination of three ingredients. I then go home, make a batch of my own sauce using similar ingredients and sell it. LEGAL (reverse engineering).
    My mate works for the burger joint and steals the recipe for the Secret Sauce. He goes home and makes a batch using the recipe and sells it. ILLEGAL (copyright infringement).
    My other mate also works for the burger joint. He swipes a batch of Secret Sauce and sells it to his mates. ILLEGAL (theft).

But if you reverse engineer the secret sauce and then market it using the name of the original -- or some comical derivative like "Chender Famp" -- then you are still exploiting the protected intellectual or other property.

At least some people in this forum are old enough to remember "McDowells" from "Coming to America". Here is a quote from a legal blog that speaks to what I am talking about:

"In the famous movie “Coming to America” starring Eddie Murphy, John Amos played the role of Cleo McDowell, an entrepreneur who owned McDowell restaurants which eerily resembles McDonalds. In the film, he’s quoted as saying “… me and the McDonald’s people got this little misunderstanding. See, they’re McDonald’s… I’m McDowell’s. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.” Great fodder for film but in real life this would hardly fly. Specifically, under 15 U.S.C §§ 1051 et seq., also known as the Lanham Act that governs consumer confusion cases, a specific set of guidelines “protects the owner of a federally registered mark against the use of similar marks if such use is likely to result in consumer confusion, or if the dilution of a famous mark is likely to occur.”"

One way or another this all passes legal muster, and like the OP I am thrilled to get to work with sounds I could never access otherwise. But it does come with misgivings and uncertainty about the propriety of it, if not the legality.

[Blocked Image: http://www.thecadillaclawyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/tumblr_looxbh32WG1qdvqkoo1_500.jpg]