Posts by J__Bro

Refer my comment above... If I'm understanding your issue.
    copied here-
    "I ran into a H9 anomaly when setting up a bunch of rigs for a new performance.
    When you have two different H9 long delay presets assigned to two different rigs, the H9 delay trails get cut off when you change rigs and the subsequent H9 delay preset (via Midi).

After some research, I found this is a H9 thing. The delay trails will only stay audible if the H9 goes from "Delay 1" to "off".... not if you go from "Delay 1" to "Delay 2".
    I'm talking some long ambient type delays I've built up. Possibly not as noticable for short slaps etc. Eventide seem steadfast that this won't change.

The only solution would be the have two H9's and have the two delays on different units."
    I assume it's a processor power thing. You can't switch from 1 type of delay to another type of delay and keep the trails of the first delay. It obviously doesn't matter if you choose the same delay when you switch. The memory will reset. There are subjects in the forum on this that I found and a moderator just says it won't change.

Yes that's what I've been doing. I ran into a H9 anomaly when setting up a bunch of rigs for a new performance.
    When you have two different H9 long delay presets assigned to two different rigs, the H9 delay trails get cut off when you change rigs and the subsequent H9 delay preset (via Midi).

After some research, I found this is a H9 thing. The delay trails will only stay audible if the H9 goes from "Delay 1" to "off".... not if you go from "Delay 1" to "Delay 2".
    I'm talking some long ambient type delays I've built up. Possibly not as noticable for short slaps etc. Eventide seem steadfast that this won't change.

The only solution would be the have two H9's and have the two delays on different units.

For those with 2 x H9's.... I'm assuming you have to run them in series?
    i.e you can't have them on their own loops and run 1 in the stomp section and 1 in the post amp section.

Yeah ok. I ended up getting the Yamaha DXR10 and am really happy with it. There was a long wait on the Freidman here in Australia but the Yamaha's were everywhere!.

I'm awaiting an Mission Engineering expression pedal that I'll plug into my Kemper remote to play with Kemper effects on the fly.
    I know it's a long shot.... but can anyone see a way of this setup being able to double up and control H9 expression effects also? (without running another lead back to the H9).
    Some sort of lead from the Kemper to the H9 expression pedal jack that's getting a reading through the foot remote.

Ok I purchased what seemed to be a widely recommend FRFR. Thanks for the advice everyone.

For those of you that have spent hours setting up profiles through it at home, rehearsed with it, gigged, compared your home DXR10 sound to a PA FOH, tweaked profiles, tweaked settings on the DXR10 etc etc. What advice would you have regarding lessons learned and where you've ended up?

The first thing that struck me was the D-Contour setting. Wouldn't it be better to setup profiles on the FOH/Main EQ setting? This curve looks about where the overall EQ on a house FOH would be?
    Initially I thought it should be set in the OFF position but come my Kemper's first time thru a PA would my EQs and gains be out of whack?

Yes good point.
    I'm a newbie with my Kemper and starting to sort out a FRFR purchase.
    Yamaha DXR10's are easy to find here in Australia and it looks like I can get my hands on the Friedman ASM-12 .
    I'm just trawling these forums to make sure I spend these first weeks/months of setting up profiles/performances through a speaker that's "most indicative" of FOH :) .

All the clips sound great and so does your feedback...... so thanks for making me very tempted! :)
    My query being, didn't we ditch running our Kempers through our great sounding guitar cabs because their Celestians colour the sound? They monitor to us a different version of our sound than what every Front of House FRFR speaker would pump out?

Woudln't the ultimate test of these Yamaha's, CLR's and Friedmans etc would be which one was most accurate to a range of Front of House FRFR PA speakers over some gigs? Which one didn't have us rushing to edit our profiles during soundcheck after hearing what's pumping out the front.

So I thought i read that the Freidman ASM-12 isn't FRFR?
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to monitor onstage or in rehearsal to what the FOH sound will be come gig time?

After owning my H9 for about a year now, I rewatched some youtube demo videos last week and saw some features and presets I'd passed over (or simply hadn't got to playing with yet). Now being able to incorporate H9 FX presets into Kemper performances via MIDI has made it the complete setup for me. Except for having another H9 for multiple presets? :)

Thanks DaveC….. Just hooked it all up and tried it on a performance and switch rigs and it seems to be triggering fine.

I bought 2 MIDI cables but then just saw you mention you only need 1? there's no benefit in sending MIDI out of the H9 back into the Kemper?
    Could you get the H9 to send the Kemper the tempo for certain rigs for example?

Have you found any benefits on placing different H9 FX types in different Slots? e.g Stomps v X v Mod?

Thanks for that And44.

I've borrowed a pals small PA tonight and have A/B'd some of the profiles through it's "cheapish" FRFR speaker and my cab. I actually don't find the FRFR sound that bad (with some tweaks) and I can see what you're all talking about. I think possibly if you're used to hours of recording/monitoring guitar sounds out of studio monitors to fit in a mix, the jump to live FRFR guitar monitoring isn't that big.

I'm in Australia so the FRFR's you're all naming seem a bit tougher to get my hands on and listen to. I do have Yamaha DXR10's and DXR12's close by though.
    http://derringers.com.au/audio…ers/live-powered?limit=96

Ha Ha.
    I can't recommend the Eventide H9 enough. It's a jack of all trades and master of them all.
    The other killer is it has it's own iPad/iPhone app so you can connect by blue tooth deep dive into all the programs/settings by intuitive touch screen.

I spent the first two days of owning my Kemper with it going into the FX loop of my Mesa Nomad 45 head => Marshall 4x12 with the cab sim turned off. I really loved the old Vox, Matchless and Fender sounds I was getting. I play/record with mainly low to medium vintage/retro gain so I'm not after Van Halen, shredding or Death Metal tones.

It wasn't until I read on here and in the manual that I shouldn't really be doing that to get the true profle sound. But is that really a bad thing? I'm just getting a variation on the theme that still sounds good to my ears?

When I A/B my cab to my Behringer Truth studio monitors (which I assume are FRFR), I can hear the slight differences in sound. But one isn't totally rubbish compared to the other being amazing. They're both good.... just a bit different.

The question being..... If I took that setup to a gig, what's the worst that could happen to the FOH sound? It's just an EQ tweak by the sound guy to sit it in the mix isn't? (which he'll probaly do anyway even if I had a perfect FRFR speaker onstage). Are there any horror stories from experienced Kemper users that are making everyone go drop another $1k-$2k on these FRFR speakers for live?

I'm not meaning to be argumentative or anything, I'm just trying to justify to myself the merit of opening up another whole new can of worms with a FRFR selection & purchase.

Ingolf,
    I saw on another post that you have a Voicelive 2 also (so do i). Even though we're debating FRFR monitors, I'd much prefer an IEM system which also recieves my VL2 vocals and am wondering about the setup below for the band rehearsal room and small gigs. (This is to be able to mix my in ears myself without relying on the guy at the desk).

Have my Kemper living behind me onstage in a 6U rack.
    Take a line out of the Kemper headphone jack, take a line out of the Voicelive 2 headphone jack. (I'm going to use the other Kemper outputs for my H9 FX pedal in the rack)
    Feed these both into a small 2 input mixer (living in the rack) to be able to mix Voice/guitar levels (possibly a Behringer Xenyx Q1002usb)
    Feed the small mixer output into a wireless Sennheiser IEM300 which transmits to my pack and my Shure in-ear headphones.

I'd be relying on Drum/bass stage sound to bleed in and would possibly remove 1 earbud as I do already while montitoring vocals.
    I don't imagine having to continually adjust vocals in proportion to guitars once set.. Only an easy overall volume tweak on the reciever pack.
    Am I dreaming here and haven't considered some big problems? (being a Kemper newbie!)