Posts by spikey

Yea I'm sure he didn't forget Damian lol, but getting hit from all sides makes for fast answers sometimes. I bet it gets implemented and some point. At least it's wishful thinking. Until then for me, I'll park the box in my studio and cloud the hell outa it. :D

FWIW for me, If the issue of the individual file transfer is the only issue on the cloud setup, and otherwise the current process protects folks like Guidorist, TAF, LRS, Top Jimi, and MBritt from losing their hard-earned time and efforts in making quality profiles (in this case captures) for profit, then so be it. I just wish Doug would come out and say so.

I can likewise give someone else a full backup of commercial profiles but not an individual capture. Makes perfect sense.

It depends on if being "cloud-based", they have tied the mac-address of the QC to the purchase. So let's say you give me a bunch of profiles you have purchased, I then try to load them into my QC but the Mac Address of your QC does not match mine, and I get an error message and it won't install. THAT is the only reason I see that makes sense to me.

I just asked Doug on TGP "why" the reason for not being able to save individual files to USB.

That, "even though it might take a few secs longer to save the whole thing" makes no sense unless they have set the QC up to check the mac-address against everything you have purchased? Let's see what he says....

Yes, but you can't save or export individual captures to a thumb drive or computer. For example, if I wanted to give you or anybody else an individual capture, I couldn't simply email it to you or upload it to your QC via a thumb drive. Someone else brought up the use case of making captures at a studio and asked whether those individual captures can be saved to a thumb drive or sent to a client via email.

Just guessing, but I would bet that has something to do with not being able to give away someone else's purchased "commercial individual captures". I mean, why else would there be a reason to do this? It's much simpler to save an individual file, no?

Sound quality of the amps and effects is paramount for me. However, the revelation that the QC will be dependent on the Neural Cloud for backups, captures, etc., will be the deal breaker for me. I don't have or allow any cellular, WiFi or Bluetooth activity in my "studio" when making music.

Sort of like that Oculus VR headset that require connection to and an account on Facebook just to use. Nope!

Nope, no way, not in my backyard! Sad choice IMHO by Neural.

Your choice of course, but "why" do you not have any Bluetooth or wifi in your studio? Many major music brands/companies are using this technology now and are serious about it. For example, the UA OX is a good example of this.

You can make full backups without the cloud, but you can't save or export individual files to a USB stick, PC, or any other medium. I don't care how accurate the captures are, I don't want a company micromanaging my library, and their file management system is an absolute deal-breaker for me. If it weren't for that, I'd be open to trying the QC.

Per Doug Castro- "The desktop controller will allow you to create a backup file that you can take on the USB stick." Individually not yet, you are correct. But if you have the backup, what's the difference, a few seconds?

I didn't say that it is a problem in that sense. It is not a problem at all. I also prefer that.

It was a "problem" in the context of the comparison, in the sense that Rabea did not seem to consider it when trying to make a fair comparison. That's why he did not refine on his first video and did not spend much time refining on the 2nd video either.

And so how much time do you need to refine? Is it close to the same time frame the Cortex used automatically? Longer? Shorter? In other words if we base most things on how long it takes( in most cases that is the way its done) then what Bea did was fair. But you are correct in the fact you can tweak things for hours until you get it right. :)

I am not picking on others here as I myself am a a recovering gearaholic. I still come off the rails from time to time but I am working hard to beat my addiction. ?

^^ I don't think this is recoverable lol. That said, I am trying to judge by what I hear and not what I am seeing. To my ears, the shiny is outclassed by the tones I am hearing from the Quad Cortex.

I think Rabea tried to make the comparison as fair as possible by not refining/tweaking on the Kemper (1st video) since you don’t have that option on the QC but the problem is that the QC is actually doing it on its own without user input.

I agree that the QC does it on its own, but I don't see where that is a problem. ;) Maybe I just don't care for the extra work when the unit makes the tone sound better on its own. Yea I know the "capture" takes longer, but the results speak for themselves. Hey, I own a Kemper and love mine so this is not bashing my KPA in any way, but I also like to get from point A to B in the fast lane when it's possible. The QC seems to handle this in spades.

For me, if a 1933 Duesenberg II SJ Boattail Speedster had an amp/radio/whatever in it that tone-wise sounded better (to me) than my Helix, Kemper, or Quad Cortex, I would be using it instead of anything else. If a 2021 unit did the same thing, I will be using it. It's all about tone for my ears.

so if you compare both units, it is not going to be that difficult to make the Kemper results to look worse. Specially, if don't spend enough time refining/tweaking the results on the Kemper profile when this is needed.

But, Bea went back and refined the "profile", and to my ears (and his) there was slightly more of a "wooly" midrange (27:25) tone the KPA had that the QC did not. Now that was a fair test done with everything left the same for both (as far as I could tell) and the profiles were "refined". No one made the Kemper look unfairly worse and Bea took the same time for both from what I could tell. Now, that was just "one" comparison and maybe others would turn out the other way. If you have not seen the "redone" video it's here :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTW- I have "my" Kemper sitting 2 feet from me as I type this, so I'm not being biased either, just stating what my ears told me as well.

This seems pretty close...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.