Posts by geoffsct

I really haven't paid much attention for awhile because I've been pretty happy with my profiles. Now as I've looked into this Liquid Profiling a bit I'm not quite clear on one major aspect. Does Liquid Profiling work on profiles you've already collected or do those actual amps need to be re-profiled with Liquid added. I'm hoping Liquid can be added after an amp is profiled because I'll never have those amps available to profile again. Sorry if this has all been discussed and clarified but I couldn't find it.

I've been using the SD 700 and two Eminence TT-15s for pedal steel (I like stereo). I'm thrilled. I do still set all eq in the Kemper and do a final tweak with the SD for the room. Plenty of headroom and I don't think I've ever sounded better. I never tried the BAM but you'll love the SD.

I'm preparing to do a direct profile of my tube pre with tube power amp. I'll be doing several settings and would like to know if some of them should be with the tubes pushed hard with lots of volume. Is that necessary in order to get that aspect of the amp profiled ? I really have little understanding of the profiling technology. Do you guys doing direct profiles really crank on them to get that tube sag or does the Kemper somehow detect that through the circuitry? I've scoured the manual but haven't seen anything about volume levels for direct profiling.

Thanks Kemper Support. I got about half way through the 16 page thread and decided that although the Behringer DI I have might be adequate I've ordered the Kemper DI. I'm interested in direct profiling a boutique tube steel pre (Sarno Revelation) along with my Fryette 2/90//2 tube power amp. It's over $ 3k worth of gear and I'd like to get it right the first time (with each setting).

Now my next question will be : Should I really lean on it and push those tubes with a lot of volume ? That's where this amp shines. It's a walk out to the shed and I don't have concerns about neighbors or divorces or anything. I'd just like to know if that's even necessary for the Kemper to get the profile.

It seems I saw a list somewhere a long time back of DIs that seemed to do a good job with direct profiling. I do have a Behringer Ultra 600 and would like to know if that will do the job. If the consensus is now that the only sure thing is the Kemper DI I won't waste time trying a cheapie.

Disclaimer: I've yet to do a direct profile. I know you've described your signal flow but it's still unclear to me if you are hooked up to your amp's speaker while you're taking the profile. I was surprised to read in the manual that the speaker needed to be connected while taking a direct profile even though you're not micing it. Something to do with keeping the load normal on the amp. I think I've got that right anyway.

muleblues: If I were playing mostly guitar I might lean more that way too. I'm playing mostly pedal steel though and have migrated from tubes to ss and back to tubes and then back to ss for 38 years. For my instrument they each do something different I like. The Kemper broadcasted through the cleanest possible amp so far is the best of both worlds for me. Now, to make that clean power small and light8o and dependable for the long haul.

muleblues: Wouldn't that LX (being tube power) compromise the the profiles and defeat the purpose? I've got a Fryette (VHT) 2/90/2 that I haven't even tried with the Kemper. It's really magic but I was thinking of selling it cause I don't want to haul it around anymore. I know literally anything would sound great out of it but was thinking it wouldn't present the profiles as authentically. Like playing a tube amp through a tube amp. Also the LX is a single mono isn't it? I'll get around to profiling the VHT before I ever sell it.

I'm looking at the 700 but would like to know how any of this line is doing . Being that these Class D amps are relatively new I've read mixed reviews about their longevity. I understand that one could purchase the ICE boards and build your own but I don't have the time or skill for that. The Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700 is out of stock everywhere I've looked so it's popular I guess. I'm specifically interested in the SD amps.

By open cab I'm referring to a cab I may build with an open back. Kind of related question I guess: does power boost work only with a Kone or any speaker? I'm also considering building two cabs-- one with a Kone and another with a 15" speaker I like for steel and running them together not in stereo but one dry & one wet with fx. I used to do this with two amps and liked mixing them that way. I haven't exactly learned if or how to do that out of the Kemper (both with the same amp profile but one dry no fx). Would I be able to "power boost" both the Kone and 15" speaker equally?

I've often combined an open-back cab and a closed for speakers. The closed seems to have more punch and the open more.....well open. I've ordered Jay Ganz's "Straight Ahead Power Amp" and might build a small open cab for the Kone and mount the Straight Ahead in it. Seems it would be even lighter. The Straight Ahead is 5"X7" and weighs 1.5lbs. It is 500 watts of clean uncolored power class D into 4ohms. It can be mounted in an open cab with industrial strength velcro.

I've played a lot of underarm guitar out of my steel amps through the years and kind of like a 15" speaker for that too. It's a tradeoff. A little fuller and richer but maybe less focused or punchy. I think on a Tele one might prefer a 12" where a Gibson L5 type fatty sounds even richer & sweeter out of a 15". On steel I hear smoother, creamier, less bitey highs and fuller more defined lows out of a 15. Since we're talking about profiles through them though I need to experiment more. I've been using Eminence 15" IRs through a 12" full range and that sounds pretty good but I'm thinking that when cutting out the cab and using the Kone for that amp in the room sound through the monitor out I'd just be going back to a 12" no matter which speaker emulation I choose. Hope all that makes sense.