Posts by Havohej

Its not a firmware issue its a power amp issue as was found out. While it may seem that this problem is "common" its actually one of little problems the Mustangs have, so if you search about it you are sure to find a lot of people reporting they have it, making it seem like more common than it really is.

I know a ton of people that have been using Mustangs reguarly for gigging and its been rock solid for them as for me. I have the mustang III but if I search online I find lots of people talking about the fizz issue as well.

Goodluck anyhow !

I will be getting new cables today to try out the monitor output again.. The old cables were just plain bad as when I was messing around with the monitor settings on the back I touched the cable by mistake and low and behold, the sound became bigger and not "sucked out".

After intensive headphone testing yesterday, and adjusting all 3 headphone outputs I have (kemper, scarlett, toneport) to the same volume the difference between the 3 was minimal, but still there, which I guess is normal.
    I noticed that the Kemper can drive my headphones to a -slightly- higher volume before I encounter speaker distortion, and between it and the scarlett the Kemper has a tiny bit more in the upper mids and bass..

I guess my ears will have to adapt to what seems a "flatter" output on the Scarlett.

Thats how I run it, but others swear by turning off the Kemper cab as well. Try both !

So 2 methods we are seeing here, in both cases the connections are the same so trying both out is very easy.
    1) Goto the setting pages in the mustang and set the return to looper pedal mode. Turn off cabs in the kemper.

2) Put the return to normal mode in the mustang (default) but play with the Kemper cab on. You will have to manually turn the cab off in the 2nd page of the amp section in the Mustang.

Try both and tell me which works better !

Hi,Mike and I have discussed what profile I used on "In No Time" that has been discussed here and elsewhere. We have found it to be the "Dumble N 3-2" which is included in Mike's Profile Pack 2.My tweaks to the rig are as follows:Graphc EQ in Stomp D with 80HZ = -6,6dB and 160Hz = -3,6. The rst is flat.Gain = 6.1Amp Definition = 6.9, Power Sagging = 2.1, Compressor = 1.2, Clarity = 2.9, Tube Shape = 3.3. The rest is at 0.EQ: Bass = -3.2, Middle = +1,3, Treble = -0.8, Presence = -1.2Cabinet: Low Shift = -0.7, Character: -3.0. The rest at 0.The key to getting this sound right (as I hear it), is to work with the guitar volume and play the dynamics with your pick.Here's the tune for reference:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    I hope you'll enjoy it!Cheers,Mats N

Here we go :)

Yep the Mbritt profiles are great. If you go through his thread you will see a post about tweaking a certain rig ( Dumble ODS N 3-2 ). The adjustments make this rig almost godly. If you lower your guitar volume to about 7-8 be ready to land in pure dumble heaven.

Okay it seems my cables are indeed behind the problem with the monitors. As for the headphones, my ears are adjusting and I don't feel like the bass is that lacking anymore.
    I tried using my old interface today and while the bass was stronger it sounded muddy compared to scarlett.
    I am gonna give it a few more days for my ears to adjust, but I can still hear a small difference for sure between monitoring on the scarlett or directly via the Kemper headphone output.
    Might just be that the Kemper headphone amp suits my headphones more or just plain better, dunno.

Would be nice if someone else with a Scarlett tested this to see whether their Kemper's headphone amp sounds better than their Scarlett's.

Welcome !

I was playing a Dumble profile earlier yesterday through my frfr (well kinda frfr) and the tone was the best I've had in ages. The touch sensitivity was insane. My tube amps went up for sale a bit later after that without an ounce of regret. Some people of course won't sell off their tube amps but seeing my limited needs and how good the Kemper sounds I can't justify keeping them to be honest, and the extra space certainly doesn't hurt :D

The same here. Kemper <- SPDIF -> Scarlett 6i6 and the sound quality is superb.

@Havohej are you on the latest software for your device?

Hey Skoczy,
    Since you are using more or less the same soundcard I have can you please check whether your headphone outputs on the 6i6 sound as good as the headphone output on the kemper with the same track running through it ?
    I've been trying to clear my ears and do comparisons and now while the difference is not so big anymore, there IS still a difference with the scarlett having a slightly less "open" sound and less bass.
    I reamped both through SPDIF and analog and in both cases the difference in the headphone outputs is the same, so not an SPDIF issue.

I'm on the latest drivers and the customer support even gave me beta drivers to see whether there is a difference but there was not.

Okay, so after comprehensive testing earlier on, and after adjusting the levels between the interface and the kemper headphone output, it seems that the difference is there but minimal.
    The difference I might have experienced yesterday might have been exaggerated because of possibly higher volume. Also the headphone amps have different impedance which might also affect the frequency response I guess.

The weak bass response is still there on the monitors, but I might have a connection problem, since I am currently using a TS cable to connect my balanced output to the balanced inputs on my monitors, both of which require TRS jacks. The reason the TS cables worked for my old interface is because the analog outputs were unbalanced and I assumed these were as well.

I will get TRS cables today because I need them anyway. If that doesn't change anything I will heed customer support's advice to return the unit under warranty since I literally can't find a single report of someone complaining about bass response on any scarlett model not just the 18i8.

Any further input is appreciated :)

Its not a matter of connection guys, since as I said all music (mp3 etc.) played through the interface has the same issue, not just the kemper.

I just want to make sure that indeed my 18i8 is defective, and not just low on bass by design.
    Either way I am returning this unit because the sound quality is mediocre at best. I just wanted to know whether to ask for a replacement or my money back.

PS: Atleast in the Kempers case I am connected via SPDIF.
    PS2: It seems another user on the Kemper forum had a similar problem ? He never reported back on the fix....

Hey Mateo11,

The other way to disable cabs is to click on the AMP button, then press down on the wheel to goto page 2, which should have a setting for which cab you want to use. Just scroll through till cab is set to OFF.

I found that this works way better for me than changing the return loop to postfx via the settings, as that results in a huge volume drop and some tone suck for some reason.

I swapped the tubes because the stock chinese one were a tad microphonic, and ofcourse the warranty doesn't cover tubes :D So didn't make any real comparison.
    The amp sounds pretty sweet with the valvos in it though. The cleans are very springy.
    Overall this amp does clean and breakup very well, but is a bit lacking in the overdrive department in my opinion, which is why I didn't bother profiling it at higher gains.

Greetings,

I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 today after doing a lot of research, and asking many ppl about it. Only heard good things.
    However, now that I have it I notice the the bass response on it is pretty low.
    Both on my monitors and headphones the bass response is low and if I raise the volume it sounds a bit compressed ? Overall the sound quality is worse than my 6 year old 100$ line6 toneport ?
    Plugging my headphones/monitors directly into the Kemper yields a world of difference.
    I contacted support through Live Chat and explained my situation and their only answer was that the interface must be defective on the hardware level, but I have my doubts...

By the way this is both for Kemper sound and music in general. Everything seems lacking oomph and a bit more "sibilant" if I may..

Thoughts anyone ?