Posts by mbuteux

After a few years out of 1000s of profiles I like a dumble profile that m britt gave away in a free pack, so I got his dumble pack, love the ceriatone... Then I purchased the choptones jp mesa pack for my brother in law to try. The clean on there is outstanding, as are the drive tones. I've used the direct profiles most with my 4 x 12, they are stunning.

I'll never go back to my Orange dual terror, Marshall jmp or fender bassman 100, this Kemper is now my go to for live and studio.

In my previous post I mentioned working my way through a lot of profiles. I've always loved the way valve amps push sound, my old jmp master volume was hard to beat but varied wildly from week to week, I have a Fender Bassman 100 too and always found it a bit too linear but good with pedals.

My Orange Dual Terror was a lightweight compromise that covered all my rehearsal room and recording requirements, admittedly I'd had it revalved to get it where I wanted. It was only when I profiled my gig settings that I realised the Kemper negated the need for all my amps, it is a totally faithful reproduction.

That essentially was what won me over and finally got my buy in.

In finding profiles that bettered my own I noticed that tone in the Kemper is very sensitive to guitars, and 99pc of profiles I tried sounded dire for my taste.

Now that I'm using a non valve power stage I'm favouring di profiles, I've recently found the Till's cablab which have really impressed and cover off the studio and pa side of the sound.

I can't express enough just how far the Kemper has batted all my other rigs out of the park.

I've had my Kemper a few years now, I never managed to get tones I liked enough to ditch my tube amps, until recently.

I used a two channel orange dual terror for ease when rehearsing and the kemper in the studio. Eventually I profiled my own orange through both channels and found it was faithful live through a 4x12 and in the studio.

But that was just my starting point.

Once I was happy it was at least as good I then went through the various profiles i'd bought and found. Matamp, wem, sunn, ampeg, fender, Marshall, etc. Looking for my holy grail. A/B ing to my own amp profile.

I had nearly 1000 rigs installed.

I then did a blind test, stepping through them, ignoring the names, looking for a clean and a dirty fuzzy sound. I used my strat first and picked about 10 amps from the whole list.

I then did the same with my les paul and picked another 10.

5 or 6 of them were the same profiles.

I then A/B those to my own profiles and preferred them.

I tried my pedals with the clean profiles and found one I love for Fender, Gibson, clean, and with a fuzz pedal.

Its one of m Britts dumble pack.

It records well, suits my playing, works with all my guitars and loves pedals.

My brother in law is a fan of dream theatre so we downloaded the choptones boogie jp pack. It's di clean is amazing, as are the overdrive tones. Blew us both away.

One hugely important factor in this is that the kemper is going through a flat response non tube power stage.

Anyway, it's taken me 3 years, but I now have the best tones I've ever played, every day, consistent and reliable.

One last thing I've noticed is that I don't have to play at mind melting volume to get the tone, I can actually hear the singler and drummer (if I want) or crank it, the tone stays the same.

Persevere, I went from 1000 profiles down to 6, and back up to about 20, still loving my dumble pack tho.

however, you can profile your amp with the overdrive off, then profile it again with the overdrive on and switch between the profiles in performance mode, using midi or foot switch controllers.