Posts by jpoelmans

not that I know of... I believe the official statement about this was that they coudnt integrate it on the stage”s screen...

I really miss it though, I used to be quite aware of rehearsal time wasted when i was usung the remote, now with the stage Inhave jo clue... and I dont quite get that statement: the performance display (when you step on a footswitch) is identical to the remote....

First at all, thanks for answering Ingolf.

I understand your point but then I'm seriously disappointed because one of the main reasons why I made up my mind to go Kemper was leaving behind head and 4x12 cab and being able to plug and play at ANY rehearsal place, jam or gig with ANY mixing desk.

And going further, I had the same reasoning about playing through FOH, but probably, according to your words, I was wrong.

So it will not work depending on the speakers of the mixing desk or foh?

Truly disapointing... or maybe is there some point I'm missing? Again, thanks for your support :)

Ofcourse, no 2 PA speakers are the same. They all aim to have a flat response, but there is a difference between a 500 euro studio monitor which doesnt go nearly as loud as a PA speaker and can put all it's effort in giving good sound, and a 500 euro behringer speaker, which has to go loud first, or a 100.000 euro (yes, a six digit figure!) Adamson line array, which can do both flawless on 50.000 people-festivals.... Of course, all shades of grey in between... I am still astonished by how many bands put their singers through cheap crap speakers and expect this to sound pleasant. Same with the Kemper.... Any decent soundtech will cringe at the idea of mixing through a sub 3000 euro PA... But bands don't seem to care....

Now, before you think that's a turnoff to the Kemper, you forgot one important thing: If you go with a real cab, in any room above 50 people your soundtech will likely want to mic your cab and put that signal through the same speaker you would be putting your Kemper through. Only difference is, you don't hear it, because you stand in front of your trusted cab... But it may or may not be a massacre out there. Not only because of a mediocre PA, but also because of mic spill and bad mic placement, and especially those last 2 are ruled out with the Kemper....

Thing to learn here, in any case, Kemper or real cab/amp: if you want to sound good as a band, don't perform through mediocre PA's. No Behringer, even Mackie is questionable.... You don't have to put Adamson on your rider, but "respected A brand in working order" is regarded as a standard sentence in a rider of any quality band.... If you don't stand by this, don't expect to sound good, even with a real amp, it's not because you don't hear it it isnt there....

The next question I hear from a lot of newcomers in the digital amp sim world, well, how do I tweak my presets with so many speakers out there? Well, simple, with a speaker that sounds as neutral/flat as possible: a quality set of headphones, or a quality studio monitor (not KRK G3, far from neutral, neumann would be a better choice). And maybe ask your local PA company if you can play sometimes through their PA/line array, just between the PA being set up and the crowd arriving: stand beside FOH desk, plug Kemper in desk, go wild. Maybe judge that speaker/system first by playing you favorite music through it, and adjust your guitar sound accordingly (just like a studio engineer does with hit studio monitors, he first has to learn their sound before he can craft a neutral mix through them....).... And if it then sounds crap through that Behringer speaker in your rehearsal room, well, probably your favorite recorded song will sound crap too, and then thats because that Behringer speaker is crap, not because the Kemper is....

PS: don't forget the room.... The room can make even a top notch line array sound mediocre. Or your trusted guitar cab... Or even have a spot that the cab sounds good, while 1 meter further it sounds crap....

Open air is the best because it has the least reflections....

There is also a relation between total harmonic distortion and noise level perception. When the THD goes up, we perceive sound as less attractive, triggering the same subconscious mechanisms as just plain loud music. Loud music makes us dance because it triggers our subconscious fleeing behaviors... So in my experience you will turn up a quality speaker set to much higher dB levels without realizing you are blowing your eardrums (except when you have a level meter handy...)

Using lesser quality speakers, or other mechanisms to raise THD has it's own disadvantages: certain spikes in the frequency response of lesser quality speakers can trigger hearing loss at those frequencies, while the overall decibel level is just fine (my ears do ring quicker from bad speakers....), and also, when you can't hear enough detail to for example transcribe a solo (which you will never will hear detailed enough with a lower quality speaker) you will raise sound levels to compensate.

It's like the same balance with wedges and in-ears: in-ears potentially gives you a better mix with less THD (reflections and comb filtering!) which could functionally be used at lower volume than wedges, but because it is such a clear mix we don't have the dancing reflex as we do with wedges, so turn up until we blow our eardrums with in-ears....

I still believe in quality monitoring (in-ears on stage, studio monitors in the studio), but if you tend to turn these up too high, use a level meter to control yourself... The other option (lesser quality speaker) will eventually limit you functionally (hearing detail), making turning up a necessity....

The adapter is from apple. The plain USB-C - UBS-B cable is from Belkin. So its not a cheap china cable prolbem. Works as expected with other devices.

I too had this problem using a Belking USB-C to USB-B cable, and a Belkin USB-C hub with VGA, USB-A and ethernet in it. It happened to the Kemper, but also to my scarlett focusrite 18i20 mk1. With other brands this wasn't a problem.... Oh and recently, the problem seems to be disappeared on the Kemper, but does appear from time to time on the scarlet. Mac os 10.14.5

I ordered mine last Sunday 16 februari from the EU Kemper Store, and it was at my doorstep in Belgium on Tuesday 18 februari. Despite the 7 days delivery time that's stated on the Kemper Store. Thomann takes about 3-4 days to get goods which are advertised as 'in stock' on my doorstep...

I remember that back when I ordered my Kemper Remote it's was the same deal, so I already suspected this would be the case....

Your sentence says 'It's the guitar Pickup" that get Hum from an EMF.

Try to detect the EMF source using an EMF Meter or EMF Detector.
    The Venue owner should help to fix that, because it will have impact for every Live-Band.

That!

You stated earlier that you even have noise with only guitar and headphones connected. Thats a situation where you can not have any ground loop, so ground lift switches are not the solution (well, doesn't hurt to try to flip em and hear any difference....). But there are other noise sources:

* A bad power supply, for example noise that is injected on the power source by dim packs. Allways try to have your lighting, fridges, and other heavy equipment electrically as far away as possible from your sound equipment: ie by having a totally separate 3x380V cable to the generator for your sound equipment. A power conditioner can help, but be carefull with like 12V to 230V converters. My Kemper particularly does not like my campers battery power! noise all over te place!

* EMF... We guitarists are proud to use technology from the 50s, but it's very very flawed. Those pickups are antennas. For example, when my robot lawn mower starts to do my lawn a get all sorts off noise through my cans, and this gets worse when a switch to high gain, is muted when my guitar volume is rolled to 0... That lawn mover is battery powered, completely wireless, so that noise can't travel through ground or live wires, the EMF noise is airborne....

PS: ground lifts make ground loops better but EMF noise worse... Wires can act as antennas...

Hey, I never said I don't need one, I only said it's a little bit overreacting to say you can't use a Kemper Stage without, just because you won't kneel down for it :D

Given the stir that Mac OS Catalina caused, being 64-bit compatible only, the change to USB-C on their hardware in the past, and in general the speed by which computer hard- or software becomes "deprecated":

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make sure the Profiler's Import feature can import separate rigs or presets from a USB stick. It already can export seperate rigs, but for import, you can only choose all or nothing, which is.... cumbersome, if Rig Manager would one day be unsupported on my PC ;)

And being less reliant on Rig Manager gives users more peace of mind for the future. Offcourse I would like that editor too, Rig Manager is way less cumbersome than a USB stick, And C.K.'s philosophy about long term support is one of the best if not the best in the industry. But bankruptcies and other bad shit happen. Despite CK's philosophy, Kemper will not support this device to the end of times, even CK doesn't know what lies in the long term future... making sure that USB stick can import separate rigs will make it more useable in case of dropped support on computer platforms, and make it a timeless piece of gear, just like the JP8000 and other vintage synths.

After the stage release, i think it is.

I guess all those people with pedalboards are out of luck then...

Oh, and the more that USB connection is used for, the more reliant this piece of otherwise timeless gear will become on the not so timeless computer OS connected to it... What if Kemper goes bankrupt, or ceases to update rig manager after 3.0? by the time Mac OS is at 10.18 it won't work anymore... For that reason alone I would even suggest that the Profiler gets a function to import rig by rig from a USB stick, it will make it even more timeless and not reliant on changing PC hard- and software... Not that I'm against an editor, but I don't rely on it...

Might you, I'm a " minor tweaks and go" type of player.. I think guitarists fit into 2 camps, those searching for sonic nirvana and can quote the frequency range that needs changing to get their sound or those who don;t really know what to use mid for ( me!).

This, despite that I am quite a gear junk, I don't play with different settings a lot, I am mostly trying to get better in playing the actual guitar...

Now, Kemper was my first amp (after a Roland Cube), because I knew that gave the best FOH sound (having done FOH duties a lot), but after that I tried a helix, tried a JVM410, tried pedals in front of combos, and really, I still like my Kemper the best, I can't get pedals to sound better than "a Fender with a pedal", and the JVM and helix sound quite ice-picky, which I don't know how to dial out. The makers of some great Kemper profiles did know, so I just use those, problem solved :D

Well, don't forget to have your router log data traffic to your computer/ipad/phone and substract it from your practice time...

And finally you can trigger an applause sample when you reach 10.000 hours ;)

Output knob, -> page 3, monitor cab off. Its a global setting, that way you wont have to turn off the cab section every time, and you can have the emulated cab still on the master...

And yes, the Kemper makes an educated guess about which part off the sound is the cab, and which is the cab (except with direct profiles, then its not a guess anymore, it just measured the pure amp). Turning the cab off will bypass the cab part...