Posts by jpoelmans

Respectfully have to disagree with IEM for the future - too many (myself included) tinnitus sufferers out there.

The ambience atmosphere can never be realistically captured in headphones, imo ....

The point is, the ambience atmosphere in FOH position gets turned into an undefined mud by spill and reflections from stage monitors and guitar amps. Who's sound experience is the most important: yours or your audiences?

Nah you dont need 4x12 for Bb, just a single 18 inch with a large enough cab will do. Something professional like RCF TTS-18a... 60 kilos including wheels, but goes where no bass combo has gone before :)

Suspecting Kemper Kabinet wont go there, 95% of the users want to plat guitar and go as compact as possible,...

The format appeals to me, but I think ill wait for the kemper cabinet’s powered version first... its a compact unit and lets me drag an item less to rehearsal, but im nit selling my powered kemper before i know i wont need it anymore for sure!

Ich habe problemen wenn mein Kemper Rack met empfamger auf mein mixrack mit 4 antennacombiner for die in-ear send liegt. Ich muss eine externe antenne annschliessen, oder ich habe fiel dropouts an meine gitare.

Allen sennheiser (ew100 und ew300 iem)

Use wired connections to the mixer and at least one computer that you can use to actually control it. The mixer is configured to use wired ethernet, NOT wifi. Then even if the wifi goes down (people complained about tons of cell phones trying to connect to the mixer wifi during the actual show making it go down) you'd have control over the mixer through the wired connection. Now if you have a X32 with the actual physical controls, I don't think it makes it that risky. That being said, a dedicated wifi router is probably more robust than the mixer built-in one.

I understand your fear. But as you probably know, the wifi signal only carries "control" signals to your mixer, audio is never passed throught the wifi. So when wifi drops, audio just continues in the last state the mixer was.

I did sound for a few bands using an ipad (mostly bar gigs), and am playing guitar/keys myself through this setup. In my experience, when you have a good base foh mix, good monitor mix, and the musicians try to have volume changes built into their presets (solo boost and such), it wont be a big disaster when wifi drops for a few seconds. during the show, your soundtech should just be a backup for when your mix changes between songs and you were to lazy to have presets for this :D 90% of his work is done during soundcheck... (there are exceptions, ive seen techs play with delays on certain syllables of the lyrics and such)

One thing I would advise though, is a mute pedal for your acoustic guitar, so the musician can mute + unplug it himself when he switches back to electric. I have been in situations when wifi drops at the exact same time the musician in question wants to unplug his acoustic. It's really weird when a musician holds his acoustic guitar above his head with his hand ready to pull the plug for longer than 3 seconds..... :D It's also a shame when his patience is over and you hear a loud pop from the speakers...

And offcourse, I still have my large x32 and a 50m ethernet cable for those bigger stages: I am not going to mix on an ipad when I am 30m from stage on a 3000+ event. But in the end, 95% of what we musicians do are bar gigs, and the owner of that bar will be thankful when you don't take 4 squares meters of his precious space (which can be filled with drinking/paying customers!)

I've got a follow up question for you. I've seen many people say they can control their X32 with the ipad/iphone app while out on tour, but when I look at tutorials it looks like you need to hook it up (the X32) to a router and get an IP address and all this other jazz that I can't imagine is readily available at any old venue. So how is this connection accomplished without the wifi signal? Or is it just the case that you need to have a wireless router hooked up to the X32 Rack - no internet connection required, just something to be the middle man between the Console and your phone/iPad?

Most wifi routers have dhcp servers built in, so they can work on themselves, without internet connection. In practice: I just stick a wifi router in my x32's flightcase, and son't care about internet ;)

I would just go stereo:

* more space in your ears

* less unlogical cable mess for you and/or stagehands/technicians, etc

Personally, i just hand my ipad to the soundguy on duty to control my x32 ;)

Well, if you have a proper (digital) desk with stereo aux busses (like even the Behringer x32) you will have stereo guitar into your in-ears, even when your in-ears are coming straight from the desk.

Our 5 piece band has it's in-ear transmitters in the x32's rack, that's 10 cables less. And, should anyone want to thinker with the monitor mix (which isn't really necessary once soundchecked properly), they can always use their iPhone app...

I don't know why people here are so afraid of with doubling speakers? If you have ever done calculations using WinISD, a cab, double te size and twice the bass reflex ports, with twice the drivers shows the exact same frequency, phase, impulse response. Only thing that changes is efficiency... And looking at it scientifically, that makes sense too: those drivers pull the cab vacuum or pressurize it at the same moment, so, it doesn't matter if there is a physical or imaginary division between those drivers....

The real problem with multiple drivers will be that on the higher range of the frequency spectrum (from frequencies where the distance between cones centre-to-centre is more than half the wavelength), you start getting comb filtering off axis. That's why line arrays where invented. But hey, that didn't stop Marshall from building 4x12 cabs, and guitar players from loving them? So, why should it stop us now ;)

LuizRodrigues you probably won't hurt the Kemper, but you might damage the DI. Be sure the DI you use can handle your guitar amps output, and be sure to loop through to a cab, or your output tranny will go awol...

Also, don't hook your Kemper's speaker out to a DI. Manual advises against it.

The thing I don't get in the PoE injector story:

It's true that tinner cable means more resistance, thus more voltage drop over the cable is the power consumption of the powered device increases. Also length increases resistance. So wrong cable or lengthy cable means not enough remaining voltage to operate the electronics of the remote. And the higher the brightness increases, the more power will be consumed, the more the voltage will drop, and thus, the sooner the remote will fail to boot...

But a power over ethernet injector theoretically cannot change this situation: if both the Kemper and a separate PoE injector provide 48V on the ethernet cable, why on earth would that be a problem with a Kemper and a less than ideal cable, and no problem with a PoE injector and the very same less than ideal cable??