Posts by jpoelmans

Oh yeah, definitely... But for electric guitar...?

I suppose the DI hangs between kemper and FOH? Offcourse, the Kemper manual says the balancee outs can handle phantom and has a lift switch, but your average engineer doesnt know that, and then what mr zambesi says happens...

Live:
    * eliminating ground loops
    * adjusting impedance
    * protecting your outputs from being destroyed by phantom power

Especially the phantom thing is a good reason to allways use it, especially on unbalanced outs of a keyboard. One press on the wrong switch on the mixer, and.......

Hmm, I've built a cab for double duty myself:, as I wanted to leave the option to play bass open I designed it to go down to 40Hz -3dB. The problem is however that a typical coaxial speaker goed into over-excursion easily, but this one was for home duty. At higher volumes however it would distort quicker than a normal FRFR cab, with the possibility of being damaged.

I would probably suggest a small PA speaker (genre DXR10, K12, ...) coupled with a subwoofer. Keep in mind your FOH system may provide this already, so going direct to FOH may be a "lighter" option.

If you would prefer a real cab you could try that real cab on the monitor out with cab switched off, and sub on master out. I have no clue if that would sound OK :D

The Profiler's Master Volume is a sonically totally transparent volume control, nothing more. There is nothing to be gained by 'driving the outputs harder'.
    Maybe a well designed near field monitor might be better suited than the JBLs.

Probably just used the wrong slang, but yes, the only thing gain is being higher in the 0-10 range, which is purely semantics...

Well, a Nord Stage also sounds shitty through headphones, compared to a my upright, but even in my seperated house I cant play the upright at midnight: wife and daughter would soon kill me ;) Even during the day, my 4 year old aleady discoverd how to, well, mute my strings. Digital instruments have their place, and that's right in your appartment, I'm afraid...

What headphone are you using? There is a lot of difference in quality here... I love my HD-25!

Also, setting the gain on your speakers inputs lower would make it possible to drive your kempers output harder, but then again, essentially the problem is that you live in an appartment. And i'm not sure where you would go instead of a modeller? Sure, a real amp sounds better, but has no headphone out...

Sure their will be people doing this, their are tons of people here who play through a real cab. And the Kemper is flexible enough to switch back and forth between guitar cabs and direct out on the fly. But when you misuse its featureset in your rigs, you'll lose some of the advantages of your modelling amp. I can image there will be a day when you run into a club with such sound restrictions or reflections that the soundtech will ask you if its possible to go direct out, and maybe even mute the cab...

But what exactly did go wrong? Was the cab maybe back "on" on some rigs (because you didnt turn it of in the main settings)? it seems to me that turning the cab sim of in the monitor out, and zeroing the EQs should suffice?

So having even just 1 pedal in the effects return would cancel out that whole benefit, because I would have to run power and 2 extra leads just for that pedal.

Abolutely, but then it boils down to making a choice: Do I want to be versatile, in that you can use every pedal ever made out there, but have a longer setup time? Or do you want to be compact, but have to be satisfied with the internal Kemper's FX? There is no "perfect" setup ;)

Reminds me of how things are going at the music school I'm attending: I went Kemper from the start because I knew a "real amp" with miked cab has some disadvantages, both on stage and at home. But then you see fellow students arrive with a pedal or 2 (battery powered), just plugin it into the teachers clean amp, where as I'm not dragging my Kemper to school (for those 30 minutes...). Consequence is that I'm stuck with a clean tone with the teacher... And then you play highway to hell on your exam...

Result: I'm starting to GAS over Combo's and pedals. But why? why? How on earth would you get the sound of a Plexi + 4x12 out of a combo, and a Kemper will still be more flexible tone-wise for a stage setup than, and cost way less...

I understand your problem. As far as I known there is no really 'pedal' way to switch delay presets. The morph pedal is assigned to a function per rig, so in rig A it would control your drive, in rig B is would control chorus level.

But in the end it comes to the fact that your DD-500 pedal switched delay-only presets, and your Kemper pedal will switch "whole rig" presets. But I think, in the end you still could have versatile on the fly sounds with a few performances preset, you just have to put some time in.

You can lock certain modules, like stomps, amp, reverb, etc, so when you switch rigs these modules are retained, but the rest doesn't. So you switch rigs, choosing different delay presets, but keeping your amp, and other stomps...

Also, if you are such a delay-nerd (having lack of a better word), you could connect you DD-500 through an FX-loop... That's probably only 250 euro of secondhand value (being optimistic) which is left from your previous rig...

Being a soundtech myself, I once found myself being ordered to tun off FOH sound completly, including the female singer. Took the monitors down as much as i could, but drums are loud, guitars too... I'll never forget the look on her dad's face, the disappointment was heartbreaking...

So yes, no stage sound is a veeery good idea. You will have to drag along your own 32 channel desk for those small venues (which are dead cheap nowadays), but you can leave home your 4x12 cabs, AND you can comply with sound regulations, no matter what happens.

An extra plus is that your soundtech doesnt need to take the place of 10 paying visitors in the room, in a place your client doesnt want it (=middle of the room), I roam around using my ipad... makes for very happy venue-owners ;)

Offcourse real drums sound better, but theres an 80% percent chance your drummer cant control its volume ;)

but becuase the doctor doesn't care about anything he just gave me whatever pills he found.
    And it wont even help

Not saying that this is the case, but doctors in general seem to go rather quick over their patients, at least that is most peoples impression ;) That's because I went online and looked for a doctor specialized in injuries common to musicians and dancers, instead of going to my regular-doctor-in-town Like a sports doctor, but different... That local doctor probably doesn't have a clue about the movements you make in a guitar, and his isn't a common cold... This is something if mishandled you're stuck with for quite some time.

I politely mailed that specialized doctor if I should bother coming over with my problem, or see a regular doctor, I was more than welcome, even had a 4 mail conversation about my wrist pains (which I have never seen in my life in the medical world, let alone a specialized doctor), and Monday, I even have to bring my guitar so they can see what kind of movement exactly causes issues.

The doc I'm talking about is a specialized division in the UZ hospital of Antwerp, for anyone that lives nearby ;)

And PS: This is not so much about going to Dr Google and knowing better than my local doc, rather than my psyche being dead scared about these sort of injuries, so wanting to be sure I get the best treatment possible. I've been through such a situation once, with my right fingers, and can kiss my piano playing speed goodbye (although there isn't any doc which can help me with this, this one was brain damage...). Thankfully my picking hands wrist is OK, so I'm OK with a plectrum, but I don't want history to repeat on the left side ;)

I suspect those leds are SMD, so good luck soldering those, I wouldnt do it, even though I,m quite handy with a soldering iron...

Just contact kemper, maybe they have a local importer who can do the repair, or whatever...

Well, all in all, good luck... I'm in the same boat as you right now: for a month now my fretting forearm hurts after pursuing to play something that maybe was a little too difficult for me right now ;) it went away during my holiday, but came back when i picked up my guitar again... Never encountered this sort of thing on piano, guitar is a dangerous instrument for your tendons...

Monday I have an appointment with a doc which specializes in musicians injuries. Apperently they exist...

PS: trying to rest your hands by not playing guitar is veeerry bad for your GAS :D

Hmm, sorry for being sceptic, but:

If you compare to frequency response of take a V30, and your average RCF PA midlow driver, youll see that the V30 is flat up to 4k, and many PA driver show big irregularities above 2k, and so are specd to go up to 2k. The rest is for the tweeter. Also, compare the whole frequenty range. A V30 doesnt do a whole lot worde than that average PA speaker. Most of the guitar cab sound is made by the cab design (closed or open back instead of ported, and no tweeter), so i guess that a midlow PA driver used in a closed back wont sound that bad, itll just have its own specific tones which it boost or attenuates, and therefore, emulated cab + real cab isnt that different from emulated cab + GRFR. Not in its lows (ported cab..) but especially in its highs!

That is offcourse not true if you would find a 12 inch driver which does up to 10k -3dB, but mind you, laws of physics cannot be changed. PA speaker builders would pay big money to get the Xover point away from 1-2k, because there the harshest of tones + thats where most speech intellegibility is, and its all compromised by passive Xovers. Still most designers stick to 1-2k. Wonder why?

Hmm, sorry for being sceptic, but:

If you compare to frequency response of take a V30, and your average RCF PA midlow driver, youll see that the V30 is flat up to 4k, and many PA driver show big irregularities above 2k, and so are specd to go up to 2k. The rest is for the tweeter. Also, compare the whole frequenty range. A V30 doesnt do a whole lot worde than that average PA speaker. Most of the guitar cab sound is made by the cab design (closed or open back instead of ported, and no tweeter), so i guess that a midlow PA driver used in a closed back wont sound that bad, itll just have its own specific tones which it boost or attenuates, and therefore, emulated cab + real cab isnt that different from emulated cab + GRFR. Not in its lows (ported cab..) but especially in its highs!

That is offcourse not true if you would find a 12 inch driver which does up to 10k -3dB, but mind you, laws of physics cannot be changed. PA speaker builders would pay big money to get the Xover point away from 1-2k, because there the harshest of tones + thats where most speech intellegibility is, and its all compromised by passive Xovers. Still most designers stick to 1-2k. Wonder why?

1. GRFR (guitar range, flat response) is NOT equal to GR (NON-flat response or regular Speaker cab). That being said, I want to highlight that the intention here is not to process the audio through 2 Cabs (modelled and real). only the modelled and the flat response one (GRFR or FRFR).

forget about the GRFR and FRFR thing: once uou are above 3000-4000Hz you have a crossover in your system, so i cant imagine GRFR has better sonic qualities than FRFR. A real guitar cab has no crossover, so thats one "design flaw" less (as in passive crossovers have inherent design flaws). Active crossovers + time alignment is a different story... I think of those terms more as marketing terms anyway: if a speaker is FRFR its just a fullrange speaker, maybe packaged in guitar cab aesthestics... FRFR is only used as a term in the guitar world, not in the PA world...

PS: if you use a full range speaker you can play your backing track through it too...