Posts by Klappy

It's true that class D amps can run with nothing connected to it, but that isn't "no load". That's an infinite load. "No load" is a short, which will destroy a class D amp pretty quickly (ask me how I know :) ). I'd be concerned that depending on the the jack and the plug, there could be a chance that the tip and sleeve of the jack could short out on the ground ring of the jack while unplugging especially if it is pulled out with any torque on the plug . Is it likely to happen in the short time of unplugging? I don't know, but I wouldn't chance it myself.

I've never opened up my KPA, but forum members mentioned that it uses an IcePower amp. When I blew my other IcePower amp, I contacted IcePower and was told that the amp was un-repairable, and basically trash.

However, it you replace the 1/4" jacks on your cabinets with Speak-ons, you would be perfectly safe.

I'm sorry. I couldn't watch that video I switched it off after 4 minutes. All that false cheering whenever he mentions a Slate product!. It's so false The audience are obviously paid or have some connection with the company and have been told they have to cheer.
    Slate himself looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

P.

I was waiting for him to introduce some kind of exercise product, like an Ab-master 3000.

Edit: I just finished watching that whole video and was amazed by how dishonest it was put together. They did "the same song" twice with different mic models. Steven Slate says "the vibe and the character is completely changed, and yet we didn't change anything in the recording, other than the virtual microphones being used". Well, that, plus the fact the one version was a jazz arrangement with clean guitar and the other version was a rock version with distorted guitar where the drummer bears down harder. Also, when/how are the audience members listening to the subtle differences that they are clapping for? Is it through the JBL PA speaker across the ambient room?

This is looking more and more like a late night diet/exercise infomercial with before/after pictures with the gut being pushed out with bad posture, then sucked in with good posture and muscle flexing. I own a few of his products and they are decent, but I've lost a lot of respect for him after this.

Looks like the street price of the Apollo Twin's street price for the MKII Duo is the same as the original price for the MKI Duo, $899.

Does anyone know why they went with this solution as opposed to a standard amp handle on the top? Is the metal case too thin to support a standard handle? Has anyone added a standard amp handle to their toaster?

db, I'm not totally disagreeing with you. No doubt there are some things that UA could do better, but I'd put them somewhere in the middle on the spectrum of evil, with Kemper being among the best and Digi and Waves being among the worst.

With the software version I'm running now, I still have all my legacy plug-ins, along with some upgraded models that only cost me $50 each (not $250). If doing the latest software upgrade will cause me to loose my legacy plug-ins, then I won't be upgrading. But I look at UA as a "rack replacement" solution. I have a virtual rack of amazing pres, EQ, and compressors that would have cost $50,000 in the physical world. I don't really care about any of the plugins they've come out with recently, like the awful amp sims. If I can't keep upgrading, then that's unfortunate, but I already have an amazing sounding interface with an amazing rack of outboard. I paid my money and have my "outboard". As long as I can keep using what I have now, then I won't be too upset. I can see that UA can tend to chafe the user that wants to stay current on everything, but that user isn't really me.

That being said, if I were still on UAD-1 on a Windows 98 box running Cubase VST5 and wanted to go modern, I'd probably pick up an Apollo and an Ultimate Bundle for $6K and just live with that for another 10 years without any expectation of my system getting any better in the future. 10-15 years ago, $6K would get you a high end 2in/2out interface that probably didn't sound any better than a modern Apollo. We're living in times where upgrading is producing diminishing returns.

Well, the way I see it is that my Apollo will only be obsolete when I can no longer buy the newest plug-ins or it's not supported by my OS of choice or the DAW I want to use. Coming out with a newer version with marginal differences doesn't make the old one obsolete as long as it is supported equally by the company. It took a long time for UA to formally obsolete the UAD-1 cards, and they gave ample time and incentives for users to upgrade. I had 3 UAD-1's and didn't feel angry when UAD-2 came out. It was a real upgrade, not a marketing upgrade. Also, I've spent much less money upgrading the UAD platform than other software platforms, and I owned the very first Mackie branded cards.

I could look at this MKII another way. UA slapped a coat of grey paint on the MKI and raised the price. Better converters? What year is this, 2003?. It's been a really long time since the quality of my converters made an impact on my recordings. This looks to me like it is just a marketing upgrade. To put it in perspective, the UAD platform has been around since 1999, and there have only been one true obsolescence when the UAD-2 was released. In 1999 I was still using an ADAT and a DAT as part of my rig.

Compare this with a truly evil company like Digi/Avid.

With all the iterations of gear sluttery I've gone through, the most improvements to my recordings and mixes came from heavy room treatment and IK's ARC2 speaker/room correction software. I'd rather have Cubasis , an SM57, and a Mackie in my current room than an SSL, C12, and an Apogee in an untreated/uncorrected room.

Those are some amazing setups, Klappy! I couldn't spot the Kemper anywhere.

It actually lives in my living room most of the time for easy access. I do more gigs than recording these days and I haul it back and forth for rehearsals, so it's constantly in and out of the house. The studio is upstairs and I have my Kemper mounted in a box with my speaker cabinet, so it only goes up into the studio for "official" recording projects. I usually use the Egnater for rough tracks and jamming in the studio, but I actually do more general playing downstairs on the KPA in 1/2 hour chunks. I've been meaning to get another KPA to live upstairs, but I'll probably wait until I'm involved in making another album for myself.

Kick-ass!! Very different setups through the years, all cool. Nice armadillo too!

That armadillo was with me through out my entire recording adventure, starting in 1985 with a Fostex X-15. A couple years ago, he finally fell apart and had to move on to greener pastures (or where ever armadillos live :) ). You can see his memorial, a small ceramic armadillo near my left speaker in front of my tube mic power supplies:

[Blocked Image: https://s24.postimg.org/btouwfnkl/WP_20170116_15_32_23_Pro.jpg]

Can we blame the Kemper for that, Klapster?

No, but you can definitely blame the Kemper for my downsizing of my amp collection!

The mindset of simplifying my musical life by going digital cable for probably began with my Apollo Firewire purchase. I realized that both the hardware and DSP technology was finally good enough to work entirely in the box, and that the 1% differences between the UAD emulations and my hardware were finally good enough to get rid of my outboard gear. With the addition of the Unison mic pres, I also sold off my SCA Neve and API preamps and will never go back to outboard. I also don't need a fancy looking rig any more to impress clients. :D

The evolution of my studio:

1995: For recording my band.
    [Blocked Image: https://s29.postimg.org/yr0nc9m9j/1995.jpg]

1999: Opened up as a commercial project studio
    [Blocked Image: https://s29.postimg.org/wnq84lmgn/1999.jpg]

2003: Moved into my basement, back to personal use
    [Blocked Image: https://s29.postimg.org/xracgk73r/2003.jpg]

2007: Setting up in my new home.
    [Blocked Image: https://s29.postimg.org/bgmhgl9tj/2007.jpg]

Today: Recording gear stripped down to the bare minimum, guitars multiplying like rabbits.
    [Blocked Image: https://s29.postimg.org/wesneo9o7/2017.jpg]

I'm using a full range bass cabinet for both bass and guitar. If you need to double up on bass, you might want to consider something designed to handle the low end rather than something designed as a general purpose monitor or modeling guitar solution. Bass cab designers really go the extra mile to provide deep clean bass using expensive high excursion woofers that allow them to tune the boxes lower without the "boom-box" hump. Also, many modern bass cabinet designers make flat response cabinets for the modern hi-fi bass guy.

A very close friend of mine was a long time friend of Marley's medicine. Unfortunately she came down with a bad case of Cannabinoid Hyperemesis and had to stop. It was big hit to her lifestyle unfortunately. I'd never heard of this until recently, but she had all the symptoms that you can find on the internet, massive morning nausea and coughing that could only be relieved by a hot shower/bath or time. I once watched her walk into the shower in agony and walk out fully relieved.

I also worry about my smoker friends due to the illicit nature of the plant. I can only imagine that many growers are dousing the plants in any chemical they can get their hands on that will improve yield.

Back when Bob was still making amps I has the pleasure to check out his room at the NY Amp Show. I couldn't believe the punch coming out of them. Not a lemon in the bunch, I would have been happy to own any of them. Best in show IMHO. It was also the same show where I first heard the Kemper. So maybe Reinhardt was second best. :D

At this point, my gut tells me this thread is only going to generate some noise and perhaps even some ill will. I doubt this thread will ever sway anyone one way or the other or resolve any long-standing medical controversy. It's probably a better conversation to have face to face over a beer rather than on the internet.

I'm glad cyber is doing better, and I hope the turmeric helps. Odds are it won't hurt anything, and at worst, it makes an awesome curry. Lots of good advice in this thread, like rest. Let's just remember the one fact we can all probably agree on, that no strong belief was ever changed on an internet forum. :thumbup:

In person it wasn't really green, but grey. Must be the lighting or the background colors suggesting green. My pink skin and orange floor would accentuate any slight greenish tint since they are complementary colors.

I think it's the plug-in pricing people dislike They also treat their PC users pretty poorly. I love my Apollo Firewire, but I hate the $300 price tag they put on single effects, and new effects sometimes have ridiculous processing overhead. However, I really have everything I need plug-in wise, so I don't need to bite every time they release a new compressor that sounds 1% different than the ones I already own. I'm only a home recordist these days, so I can keep running it without upgrades until it breaks. It already sounds amazing and does everything I need, so no FOMO here.

The last thing I want to do at a gig is bend over and scroll through menus on a beer soaked touch screen with a sweaty finger.

Typewriter, Ha! loved that one. That explains why no one bought a ticket. :whistling: