Posts by Chevron

I was curious if you can extract the IR from a Kemper profile? I was interested in trying just the IR on my Peavey 6505 in to a Two Notes Captor from one of the profiles I got from STL Tones...

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm going to expand the Chevron comment. Due to this electronic behaviour: If you want to add the tipical TS9/808 with the volume cranked up before the Kemper you have to get the desired amount of gain from the TS (or any pedal stomp) to get his flavour, but with a REASONABLE volume. Then you can set a clean booster first in the KPA chain to get the desired amount of "volume cranking" you usually get from the TS.This way you ensure not to saturate the KPA analog/digital converter in a bad/fizzy/digital and not desired way.
    Hope it helps and sorry about my bad english!

Yeh that's a good point too. As using a Tube-screamer or other coloured overdrive/treble booster before the Kemper will still be worthwhile as the tonal character of the overdrive might tighten up the low end or boost the higher freqs in a desirable way.... I use the Boss GE-7 in a similar way to modify the tone before the Kemper, as with a tube amp, boosting certain frequencies gets some nice crunchiness happening :love:

Hey,

Boosters will work much better with valve amps than the Kemper because of the nature of the electronics involved.

Using a booster pedal with a valve preamp boosts the level feeding the input so that the components and valve(s) in the preamp get pushed to the point of saturation and compression, creating a nice squashy and overdriven feel. Much in the same way we engineers will crack the input on an analog mixing console.

The analog electronics in the input section of the Kemper are obviously solid state and I assume designed with the approach of keeping the guitar signal clean and pure to be converted to digital, and then digitally processed in a familiar way to guitar amps. So when you push the Kempers input level it will remain clean until it will quickly reach the point of clipping, where it will sound nasty, thin and unlike a valve guitar amp being pushed with that rounding of dynamics and good fatness - which sounds like what you are experiencing with nothing much happening then fizzy mush. You may even get digital clipping too depending on the headroom.

Once past the analog to digital conversion of the Kemper you can use a booster pedal in the stomp section to simulate the effect of jacking the level in to a guitar amps preamp, it works pretty damn well. Failing that working, you could try a valve guitar pedal. Maybe something like the EHX Black Finger, where you can drive the input valves without compression (or a little compression :) and lower the output to get a decent level in to the Kemper...

I'd love to see the addition in a future OS upgrade where you could use the S/pdif for amp profiling.

For me this would be really useful as I could utilise my stand alone hi-end converter to capture the amp sound.. It would also help me logistically as I could mix and blend within the converters digital mixer for multi mic capturing..

I understand S/pdif is a stereo input but if we could just use one channel that would be awesome.

Also, I guess whilst we are at it, you could use the S/pdif output to send tot he amp whilst profiling, obviously you would likely need to use a reamp box in this scenario.

Cheers

Matt