Posts by twiddy

Junk those headphones, they are more for classical music than anything else :thumbdown: My shop that sells those says they work well with a decent headphone amp, but alone would not recommend for studio or rock type music. He sells all and is a good chap. Use uncoloured ones to I use two sorts Allen and Heath xone (known for studio quality kit) and also Sennheiser wireless ones HDR 120 II and I get the same sound as amplified.

You have no comparison other than headphones which is tricky as it is difficult to go into a guitar shop plug in headphones and see if you get what you want.

Do you use a DAW record and play back on monitors as well as headphones, I think that is the minimum you need to achieve. Normally, I check my headphone sound that way and then disable the monitors. I have achieve my sound way before that. Just straight out the Kemper or indeed any amp into those Beyers, well not for me and it sounds like not for you.

Music wise I am not sure what sound you are trying to achieve, but not knowing that I will just point out a couple of things. 1) hum buckers on Gibsons can be mushy especially when gained up. I have 490T and 498B on LP and also a guitar with Classic 57. Ok for rhythm but not so good for lead in general. Some tunes ok. I also have a Jeff Beck Strat single coil and get more sounds from that than anything. I then have a custom Waghorn with Joe Satriani pickups on it. Yamaha with cruiser and transition dimarzio. I also have Musican man Axis Super Sport with custom dimarzios. I get most variation on the Strat from my amps. The LP has coil splitting so that works well to.

Tone is about final output hence speaker or headphones you will get that final sound from them. Own hammer IRS are great as are Michael Britt Kemper profiles.

It will cost a lot to replace the Kemper and your search will begin then. Find the artist you want to be on YouTube and model that. Pete Thorn uses Kemper, his own head and Torpedo Live and has many combos and heads so is a good source. If you are metal go look Ola England. Find the sound and then model it.

I have Laney IRT studio which you can use with just headphones as it has a load in the amp. Its not that expensive and I would go try one in a shop.

For me, you need to get the right headphones first and I would invest in either an amp or dare I say it something not too expensive like a Laney IRT-X frfr speaker. Then if you can find your tone there get some headphones like I use and you should get close.

My sound is Awesome both live and in my DAW. For me Laney is great kit at the price. I have swopped speakers to get the tone by buying the cheap IRT112 cab and then just swopping speakers until I found what I liked.

I am about to get a Kemper mainly for recording, but I don't need it I already have the sounds I want. I can load IRS into the DAW to get what I want so I have continued to not need it. Indeed answering you, I am almost talking myself out of getting the Kemper, but it does have sounds for the future! Like you I am mainly an at home player. I go open mic with the Boss Katana now as it is quite inexpensive and I have to say I get the basic sounds you are looking for from it easily.

Preferably go find what you want get the sound and then profile it! :):):):):)

My kit:

Guitars: Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Swing Tele, Waghorn Sauria S Custom, Yamaha Pacifica JT, Musician Axis Super Sport, Gibson LP Studio, Ibanez AK95 with Classic 57, GW45 Ibanez bass, Warwick Corvette bass, Yamaha CPX500 II
    Amps: Fender George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe, Laney IRT Studio with 1 x 12 Celestion G12H Anniversary 1 x 12 Jensen C12k, Boss Katana KN100 combo, Laney A1 Acoustic, Ampeg BA108
    Pedals: Front board Wampler Ego, Rocket Archer, Mission Vol, TCE Visious Vibe, Belle Epoch, OCD, Kingsley Minstrel 2
    send return board: TCE mini corona, vortex, flashback, Mooer Eleclady, MXR Phase 90, Strymon Timeline, Dawner Prince Boonar, TCE hof
    DAW: Logic Pro X Presonus Firestudio Mobile, 2 x E5 active monitors, both Boss Katana and Laney IRT studio USB direct others DI
    Headphones; Allen and Heath Xone. Sennheiser wireless HDR 120 II

I also use Positive Grid Bias Amp, Bias FX and Jamup pro with my iPad using Apogee Jam to Behringer mixer to Presonus in.