Posts by Alfi27

Here is a clip. The first is the Kemper profile, the second is the real amp through the same IR.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am changing gain on the amp. Distortion sens is set at 0 but I used a Les Paul Junior with a vintage output P90.. I refined for a pretty long time but the results turned out the same. The DI Box is the official one from Kemper. Please go to my other thread dedicated to this issue for further questions and answers, and keep this thread about merged profiles :)

I have tried refining them and not refining them, same result either way. With gain at 9 o'clock and the Tubescreamer in front the profiles are accurate, but it is when I turn gain on the amp up to 12 o'clock this happens..
    I use the Kemper DI Box and I have a cab connected yes

Hello guys! Decided to make a new thread for this issue. So, I have been making some direct profiles of my Marshall SL-5 tonight. They sound really great until a certain level of gain... With gain and volume at about 12 o'clock and a Tubescreamer in front everything just becomes muddy and really loose. Wayy too much low end, as opposed to the real amp that does not have much low end. I find it really strange to be honest, I have made profiles with quite a lot of gain and it sounds marvelous (gain at about 1 o'clock), but when it gets to about 3 o'clock on the Kemper it has the low end of a bad fuzz box... Profiles made at the exact same volume but with less gain sound great so it has to be related to the amount of gain. The reference amp and the Kemper amp are not even remotely close, what the hell is going on? ?(

Alright, so I have been making some direct profiles of my Marshall SL-5. They sound really great until a certain level of gain... With gain and volume at about 12 o'clock and a Tubescreamer in front everything just becomes muddy and really loose. Wayy too much low end, as opposed to the real amp that does not have much low end. I find it really strange to be honest, I have made profiles with quite a lot of gain and it sounds marvelous, but when it gets to about 3 o'clock on the Kemper it has the low end of a bad fuzz box... Profiles made at the exact same volume but with less gain sound great (without TS for instance) so it has to be related to the amount of gain. The reference amp and the Kemper amp are not even remotely close, what the hell is going on? :/

The scale lenght is the standard 24,75" and it is a full sized guitar, hehe. It was called the Junior because it doesn't have as much bells and whistles as a Les Paul Standard for instance, and the simplicity and status as a straight forward rock n' roll axe is probably why it is still popular today. :) It was not particularly pointed at "juniors". The guitar weighs right over 3kg. I already have a singlecut Junior and it is an awesome guitar!

Thanks a lot man! At the time I started this thread I did not realize that I could just try it out.. :rolleyes: So I did! I have just tried it a couple of times now, but it certainly worked very well! When I merged a studio profile with a direct profile with quite a lot less gain, I felt like the studio profile decreased its gain to match with the direct profile, but trying it out with profiles closer to each other in gain the difference was hardly noticeable. I will do some more experimenting, really promising so far though! :D

Haha! Well, I left the conclusion out because it is kind of a bummer.. Did not see it coming myself to be honest. He thought the Kemper is a great piece of gear but too expensive for just playing at home, so he bought an old defect Marshall Plexi as a project and eventually shipping it to Tommy Folkesson to get it modded :)

Although this should be taken with a grain of salt, I want to share this quite interesting experience:

I figured out that I wanted to sell my CLR active wedge. It sounded good but I prefer the amp in the room tone for personal monitoring. Very soon after I put it up for sale I got a text from a guy I had dealt with before. He bought an Amplifire, and he wanted to try it with the CLR to see if it was the right setup for him. I thought "yey, finally going to hear the Amplifire in person" as I was quite curious about it myself and I thought about getting one as a portable alternative to the Kemper. He had experience with the Amplifire through the poweramp and cab of his Hayden Mofo only, and he thought it sounded better with cab sim on for some reason. His first impression of the CLR was that it sounded much better than through his home rig! He browsed through a couple of presets, everything from M Britt to the Amp Factory and a few he made himself. From my perspective it sounded alright but nothing mindblowing, although better than my experience with the Helix for instance. Not totally convinced, he asked me to power up the Kemper. He is a Marshall guy like me so I found a custom profile I had made of TopJimis 68' Marshall Plexi with a Choptones V30 IR. Standing there and watching him play was a pleasure in itself, they guy looked like he was in heaven, like "ohh that's the stuff!". I showed off more Marshall profiles which I have plenty of, but I think his conclusion was made after the first chord on the Plexi profile. It probably doesn't come as a surprise that he went home with no CLR, and a few days later he sold the Amplifire. Please note that I did not play a single note through the Amplifire, and this was purely my observations. I still think the Amplifire is great, but I also think that it requires quite a lot of tweaking to get your tone.

Hello guys!
    I was reading the Kemper manual planning to make some direct profiles when the Kemper DI Box arrives tomorrow, and I also thought about trying to make a merged profile as well. However, this crazy thought hit me: from what I understand the direct and studio profile are independent, although it is «recommended» to keep the amp at the same settings. This should mean, in theory, that I can take one direct and one studio profile with totally different settings and even amps, and merge them together? Have anyone tried this? And can a merged profile be "unmerged"?

The reason why I think this is very interesting is that I am converting to a more traditional setup now (moving away from a FRFR monitor to a 2x12" guitar cab), and I think it is a shame that I cannot use my great studio profiles to the FOH. I have made my own "sort of" merged profiles by adding an IR to the direct profiles, but this is quite limiting as well. For instance one of my favourite studio profiles is a Marshall cab with Scumback M75s with quite a few different mics, another one have G12H/V30 and SM57/R121 on each speaker etc, quite complicated stuff that I won't find in any IR. Thank you in advance for your answers ^^

Hi guys! Got my SL-5 on monday, and I had to profile it course! Personally I think the profiles turned out really good, so I want to share them with you. I profiled both channels, but only one profile per channel. The clean channel is cranked (on 10) and the OD channel has gain and volume on 12 o'clock. The amp is quite bright and I both recorded and profiled it with a Les Paul Junior, so the clips are bright sounding. Hope you will enjoy them as much as I do! :)
    You can find them on Rig Exchange by searching for Alfi27.
    PS: I will recommend putting a tube screamer in the front of the dirty profile for more gain, sounds awesome! :D

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The FR212/GT1000FX setup is also FRFR so I will hear exactly my tone there as well, but with better bass response and moving more air; which is exactly what I am looking for. The CLR is not bad by any means, but it is limited by physics how much air a 12" speaker can move.

Hello again! I have experimented a bit with the CLR. When tilted like a cab the spread is really good, probably better than the 2x12" cab without that horrible laser beamy peak of regular guitar speakers. However, I miss that thump and strong low end response of the EVH cab. I sent an inquiry to the guys at Matrix. They explained how it all works, in high detail. It is actually the power amp of the 5150 that is the largest contributor to the huge low end, not the cab. What I really like about that is that I can play at quite low volumes and still shake the floor, but it is of course not anything near a flat response. So I am now strongly considering to replace the EVH stack and maybe the CLR with a Matrix GT1000FX and an FR212!

I brought the Helix with me home about a month ago. I was looking for a replacement for my Axe FX, because I was tired of the whole rack thing and wanted a floorboard. The clean tones were really good, but once I applied any kind of overdrive it sounded horrible... It sounded almost as horrible as the Pod HD500. Luckily, even though the shop does not have any specific return policy I was able to return it for a Kemper rack, and I could not be happier! When the sound is so good it is worth the hazzle with the rack stuff. However, I will mention that I am pretty sure that there was something wrong with my Helix. For three times the price of a Pod HD it should not sound that bad... Well, we will never know that :p

The Kemper does not know which strings you are playing, it can only transpose the entire signal. So you can get D standard, but not drop D. However, it takes me no more than two seconds to tune it to drop D on the fly using the tuner leds! So you do not even need to change to tuner mode, just take a quick look at the leds ;)

Very nice! I love Bare Knuckles, I have owned quite a lot of them but unfortunately I only have two BK-equipped guitars now. Made me want to check out the A/M profiles as well!
    The more the merrier indeed, I will soon get my Les Paul back from the tech with a set of Riff Raff(b)/Mule(n). Very excited about the Riff Raff, I think you should add that to the test as well ;)

I really love everything I have bought from Top Jimi except the Silver Jubilee that for some reason does not have any bass at all. Haven't tried these new factory rigs of his, but I am sure they are good. However, I bought three packs from TAF and to my ears the Mark V was just plain awful with my Les Paul, way too much bass and flubby bottom. Also bought the SLO100 and Rockerverb packs, they sounded alright but nothing really special to be honest. Not to bash TAF or anything, but we all perceive sound differently (luckily). For instance, I cannot get anything from Line 6 to sound good even with hours and hours of tweaking, but I respect people who can make their gear sound good!

Why would you do that exactly? I find it really useful for changing between standard and drop tunings, I don't have to push any buttons or clip on a tuner, just take a look at the leds and voila, perfectly in tune! :D