Posts by johnatanasoff

Can the rack version alone sit straight on top of a cabinet? If so i prefer the rack type.
    Yeah u mentioned DXR15 in my other thread. I'm def considering it.

Where can i find those negative things you read about the kemper poweramp?

Btw you guys mentioned how people won't hear stereo etc. But stereo would be for me on stage as extra ammunition apart from the IEM's, for a more 3D experience. Doesn't stereo apply here?
    If not unless i find a better speaker for the money; 1 Yamaha DXR15's might be all i'l ever need.
    And in bars for people if i am playing with backing tracks.

Thanks; you're really helping me get the best bang for the buck, and making my life easier :)

The staff are wrong. The powered Kemper is stereo, just like the non-powered version. The powered output socket which you would connect to a guitar cabinet (which doesn't exist on the non-powered version) is mono though, so if you want to go stereo you need to use a separate power amp/active speakers.

Ahhhh, that's what they meant by not powering 2 cabs or 2 FRFR's.
    Well in this case better save money anyway and get the unpowered version, in case you want to run stereo in the future. And for the negative sonic reason OhG mentioned.

Yes to get stereo you need 2 speakers and hook them up to the Main outs, no matter what Kemper you have. The monitor out and speaker out are mono only,

I'm a live player almost exclusively and have found it saves time and grief to not use stereo live. It really only works in limited areas of venues anyways. I use monitor out to my power amp which then goes out to my 2 cabs. I plug an XLR into the main out for FOH, either one is fine I'm all summed to mono. Stages will always have an XLR to the board so I like to keep the Main outs free for the house.

Thanks!
    The staff said the powered kemper allows only mono! Right? Meaning if i buy the powered i will not be able to run stereo speakers. But i will be able to run stereo in the IEM's?

So even though you use 2 cabs, it's still mono?
    What are main outs. Jack type of connection? Sorry english is not my mother tongue!
    So you bougth the unpowered version? Rack or head, and why?

I agree with Booyah. I've found that most PA systems are run in mono. And even those that are run in stereo, I'm not convinced it's a great thing because if you're playing in stereo, people who are closer to one set of speakers and further away from others (mainly when close to the stage) won't get the stereo effect anyway. In fact, they'll get a result that can sometimes be worse than mono.

The only time I consider doing anything in stereo is when recording, because in most scenarios, it will be played back on systems that aren't as spread out as PA systems, and the listener will be able to experience the stereo effect at that point.

Yeah.
    So even in mono i will run 2 speakers for a more spread sound across my playing area.
    OhG, did you buy powered or unpowered; rack or head, and why?

I am asking cos i want everything to be done right and have no limitations, and have a nice rack for it, wireless and a cheap power conditioner.
    Do you use a power conditioner?

I know this is really basic and stupid question, but isn't mono the use of 1 speaker only?

In this thread: One or two FRFR cabs and which model?

@Booyah says:
    "I was intending to go stereo when I bought my Mission Gemini cabs, oddly enough it was the tech at Mission Engineering that talked me out of it. I use 2 Gemini 1Ps and a Matrix GT800FX in mono and couldn't be happier."

Other guys vote for mono as well.

To take advantage of what kemper has to offer and go stereo if i want, doesn't it make more sense to buy the unpowered version to have no limits.
    Doesn't it involve 2 speakers?

Please let me know. Your feedback is really valuable, so i make the right decision for me.

Yeah, it might well be desirable for a Fractal unit. Personally, I'd probably want to get some real tubes into the signal chain too if I were an Axe user.

However, the Kemper is Different™.

If i go fractal I'l try both options. If i feel a tube power amp does give a better more organic sound to my ears i'l buy it!
    With Kemper its a mistake.

I think all this business about tube preamplification and the Axe came about due to the original Atomic Reactor amps, which used tubes. That crowd on those forums will sell you snake oil. Just yesterday I was watching some guy say, "with the transpose feature of my Axe, who needs an eight string"? Then he proceeded to demonstrate with some buzzy mess and guys were lapping it up.

Seeriously, you want accurate (and I stress on accurate) reproduction of profiles, you don't want any additional Colour, nice mids or no.

Idk some people still use tube preamps. I read somewhere some pro's using some form of DY box from palmer with fractal, for a more organic sound.
    An unit won't sound the same as a real 8 string plus playbility and feel would be off. There are limits. But if you can get away with it for 1 or 2 songs i dont see why not...

You're right on the accurate reproduction of profiles with Kemper. Messing about will give bad results.

The problem with having a tube power amp with the Kemper is that it would Colour the profiles. This is not desirable, since you want an accurate representation of the tone. Solid state power amps are the way to go!

That's what i hear most. Some fractal users still use tube power amps with for ex. SS valves, to not colour the sound. Purpose? One said mids are better. It could be more pleasant to your ears when loud; but this is scientific already; has to do with sound waves and frequencies.

Yep.

Tubes are gonna mess up the authenticity of the Kemper's sounds.

Tube Profiles through more tubes? Ain't gonna be authentic to the originals.

As kemper's nature is different than fractal; it could be a mistake!

Would it make sense, strictly speaking? No, I personally don't think so, since it already captures the power tubes of the profiled amp. That said, some people seem to like the results better through tube power amps. Doubling up on the toobz!

Could be related to what i said to @nightlight

Audiophile-quality High Fidelity tube power amps might sound nice, but, they typically aren't designed for transport, are heavy, and very expensive.

I meant something like a Fryette Power Station with tubes.

Are you talking about a Kemper PREamp with tubes? I guess this won't happen (and I don't see any reason for it).

Exactly! Reasons could be what i wrote to @nightlight. Some people still run it through tube power amps.

You definitely wouldn't need 2 DXR15s. I like playing LOUD and one DXR15 is more than enough. I returned the DXR10 almost immediately because it was so weak. The DXR15 was more than loud enough to play on a festival stage when my original band opened up for Disturbed and Seether. Here are a couple videos. One from my original band, and one from my cover band. Both using the DXR15 with the Kemper. Keep in mind, both of these videos were recorded using just a GoPro, and the audio quality of those cameras are not exactly stellar. And since these videos were done, I've tweaked my sound so that it's even better because I took the time to work with profiles instead of just discarding them as soon as I tried them.2 DXR15s for stereo. Will offer you a more 3D hearing experience i think. Stereo is recommended for InEars.

Really enjoyed the videos! That's a big crowd :)
    The GoPro certainly does not do justice to the sound but it sounded quite good and natural. Does it feel good too? The dynamics and all?

Thanks! That was really insightful!

34kg for a pedalboard, uau!
    Do you recommend a pair of Yamaha DXR15? I'd love to hear and see your rig in action. Can you send links?
    I am def giving MBritt profiles a go when i get the kemper.

Do you have facebook or something i can PM you? As i don't have a serial registered with Kemper website, i have limited access in the forum, inc not being able to send PM's.

I look forward to belong to the Kemper family!

You're right John i'l read on the unit capabilities.
    Most of my doubts are cleared anyway, so i know what i need.
    Kemper support via email and forum is Stellar! But i do agree basic research to avoid basic questions is a good approach by newbies.

Just want to clarify something here. There is only one spot for a profiled device on the Kemper. That means you cannot profile a distortion pedal and combine it with a separate profile of an amp.
    In other words, if you're using a profile of, say, that Suhr SE+, and want to add, for example, a Fulltone OCD to the signal, you have to use an analog OCD pedal, either in front of the Kemper, or in a "distortion loop," which is just an FX loop that is used for distortion and overdrive pedals. You can profile an amp with a distortion or overdrive in front of it (though fuzzes don't take very well), but you can't add it after the fact, and, since you said you didn't have any of these amps available to you, you're either stuck with the several overdrive/distortion models on the Kemper, using an actual pedal, or finding a profile (many of which exist) that is boosted or driven by a pedal.

If the Kemper has some usable models that might do it for me. I don't want an actual pedal; wanna keep it simple.
    A profile of an amp+pedal can work fine. As long as you're happy with the amp+pedal sound, with a click of a button it's like you're activating the pedal; without lag!
    This and because Kemper emulates amps better than Fractal is the reason i choose Kemper.

The Kemper takes pedals very well. Or, you can profile a pedal+amp combination.

Sweet! I hope there's profiles of some pedals i love that i can download or buy.

Btw, i heard some people go to fractal only because of effects routing. I am still learning about it, but is it related with processing power?
    The only effects i need mixed in same preset are reverb/delay/chorus. Can kemper do that?

I don't own any of those amps, nor have access to them. Had a JCM800 decades ago. HOWEVER, I have profiles for each of them on my Kemper. That is, except for the Suhr. But, that isn't because there isn't one out there to get, just that I haven't. Everything but the Dumble can be found free. THough I have bought (for very, very little) pro made profiles of each.

Yeah; i have no problems paying for great sounding profiles.

As @paults mentioned, most of us don't ever profile. It's certainly a cool feature. But I've been using this thing for about a year straight now, and have never needed to profile anything. EVERY amp I've ever thought of profiling (including all that you listed) have already been profiled numerous times by others. For me, there is no point in profiling because anything I do, has likely already been done better by people who are true pros at the profiling process and know exactly how to tweak things to yield the best result. Many of them are free. But even those that you need to pay for, it's totally worth it to pay such a small fee. You can get packs of amps for as little as a few bucks. I think MBritt has bundles that have all the amps you mentioned. The overwhelming majority of the profiles I use all came from MBritt. All I usually need to do with his profiles is to add a touch of high end in the EQ, and it's done.

The appeal of the Kemper for many (including me) is that you don't NEED to own all those expensive amps, but can still have their sounds.

The Kemper appeal is the only reason i'l go digital; so i can have the tone of those expensive amps.

Nothing will ever replace hot glass, heavy iron and wood!

Most KPA owners don't do any profiling. There are hundreds of free Rigs available from Kemper, over 9000 free rigs posted by other Kemper owners on the Rig Exchange, and there are also commercial rigs offered by many sellers.

What amp sounds would you want?

Friedman Brown Eye
    Suhr SE+
    JCM800
    Mesa Boogie Mark IV & V
    Trainwreck Express & Rocket
    Dumble Overdrive Special
    Fender Twin Reverb