Posts by Niall182

Hi, guy's, interesting thoughts by all (thanks Monkey Man that's just about the only thing I didn't think to try did try the sagging but didn't do much to effect the fizz)

I'm taking it to my local rehearsal studio tonight, just me alone in a room at serious volume (well band volume) and I play in a fairly loud classic rockband) I'll try increasing the amp vol and reducing the rig vol and see if that helps tighten things up.

Hopeflly my aim is to see if I can get rid of the fizz i'm hearing top end through my 4x12 (cab sim is off), this is such a shame as the Kemper has so much bottom end (which I love) and plenty of volume (which I love) but all I can hear on the high gain stuff (even with the gain backed off to 12 o'clock) is fizz on the top end and I've tried eq'ing it out. I'll also try this direct through the rooms pa (though it not very good) but i'll see how that goes.

This is such a shame at the moment as the unit is fantastic...but/ I have to say I've experienced this before, they always seem to do clean and fx superbly and struggle to replicate high gain sounds...Trivium don't seem to have a problem mind you!

Cheers for now
    Niall

Hi Guys,
    Must admit I'm feeling some of Pauljoy's pain. Spent a day with it, paid for some pro profiles of EVH from A&M Audio Profiles, all the downloading/updating/rig manager stuff is simple and easy to use...so is the Kemper itself..pretty straight forward. But the sound is just not what I'd hoped for.

I'm lucky enough to have some space, & 2 4x12's so I hooked up my usual rig, 5150iii valve amp, L6 pod hd Prox for fx & 4x12.....and next to it Kemper and 4x12.....ummmmm

No doubt the Kemper is seriously loud (I had it at 300watt into 16ohm cab) but the distortion sounds were not what Id hoped for, fizzy and not focused actually sounded quite 'muffled' and as with Pauljoy at gig volume seriously 'squeely' during playing!!

I've spent a day twiddling and tweaking many many parameters, just cant get it to sound right at the volume I want it at, which might be too loud for most but not for me.

I'm taking it to my local rehearsal studios in Wymondham tomorrow night...to give it another run through. See what happens.
    Niall

Hi Guys,
    What works best for people?? I have 'clean sens' & 'distortion sens' set to zero on Input Screen??? (I play Les Paul with medium gain humbuckers)

On Output Screen I have Main Output, Monitor Output & Direct Output all on 'Master Mono' and on page 2/7 i have Main Vol at -14db (not linked to master vol.) Monitor Volume at -29db (linked to master vol.)...the rest Direct Vol & Headphone Vol etc...not sure I'll get involved much...unless told differently on here!!

Bit unsure as to best set up...again only really going to use this live through my 4x12 Marshall, this is a powered rack.

Would be really interested is seeing how you guys set up your input/output settings for this unit...especially those of you who play it 'live' in a band situation.

Thanks everyone.
    Niall

Hi, thanks guys (sorry Monkey - Man!! you can rib me over my newbie lack of knowledge!..yes its a step above the POD PRO, but it is a lot more money) ...yes a serious case of GAS, and also 'all the gear no idea!'...and that includes the Kemper...at the moment!

Am I missing something, as far as Delay anyway...does the Kemper only have 3 different delay types?? Analogue, Tap (and another one which I cant remember as I'm not in front of it)???

Anyway guys, I'll be delving into it over Christmas, wish you all a Happy One and a great New Year wherever you are in the world...not just Wymondham!!

Cheers for now
    Niall

Kemper Power Rack arrived yesterday, spent an hour doing Firmware and rig manager updates mainly due to Windows 10 software glitch. Process very easy, much easier set up than my old Line 6 Pod HD 500 Pro Rack (I wont mention the Digitech 2120 Artist I had...)

Just spent a bit of the evening scrolling through the stock presets with headphones, will wait till i get used to it a bit more before I hook it up to the 4x12 and put it through its paces. Lovely piece of kit, well made (this one doesn't seem to be broken!)

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions which i hope you guys wont mind :rolleyes: but looking fwd to giving this a proper spin over Christmas, I now at least dont feel like a fraud as I actually now have one!!

Cheers for now guys
    Niall

Hi Guys, been a little while but have read every ones posts (with excitement)..would love to pop over and have a chat Andy (and44) if that were possible, as your so close, literally 10mins away. (and guys I think we should form a Norfolk circle of Kemper!!)
    My broken Kemper has gone back to Andertons and as promised instant refund...so frustrated at present as I cant get a power rack and foot switch anywhere until end of Jan!! I'll just have to be patient. I'll probably wait till Andertons get a new batch of stock in and go with them again.

Interested in Pauljoy's first rehearsal impressions...you sound like you have the same idea as me in terms of set up...I used to have a an original Fender Starcaster and that used to really feed back, I play a Greco LP with EVH pick ups but I also have TWO noise gates on the 5150iii to try to tame it all via the L6 500X HD...it works so try playing with the positioning of the gate (if that's possible)...I don't have a Kemper so I don't know if you can move them or have more than one...I expect you can. (lots of metal players use two gates if you set them right it wont choke your sound or tone) but will stop the dredded squeeeel!

Cheers for now guys....I feel slightly fraudulent as I don't actually have a Kemper yet...not for lack of trying though...I hope someone isn't trying to tell me something! :)

Cheers all, Niall

Hi guys,
    Waiting for my refund from Andertons which will happen, they are very good like that..but cant stump up two lots of £1800 just b4 Christmas!! before i buy another one.

Thanks for the offer Pauljoy, I might take you up on that offer, (Fakenham just up the road from me) if you don't mind (is that a Dave Grohl Trinnie Lopez in your pic..lovely!)...but let me know how you get on with it at rehearsal first. Been reading a few 'issues' on this forum of late re: frozen screens, and software bugs...with my first one arriving very much dead from the off...I am a little worried about how robust they actually are??!!

I really need to be able to depend on it, I cant afford two nor do i want to be taking back up amps to gigs 'just in case' the point of this is to cut down on stuff come gig night!!

Cheers guys.
    Niall

Hi Guys,
    No not courier fail (i think it was an Andertons fail, looks like it was already a return to them which they just sent back out!)

Cheers Raoul, you'll be old by the time we get out gigging again Lol...(singer issues, now just got another guy on board but that will take a while) easier for me to come and see you guys again (always a pleasure) so I'll check out where you are and come and see you soon.

Niall

Thanks Raoul,
    Well not off to the best start...epic fail in fact, Kemper just turned up...literally minutes ago, no footswitch and the LED screen broken (black spread of doom)... :( oh well, chin up...that can go back to Andertons (thats already sorted!) and I'll place another order direct with Kemper (that will probably confuse them as I only cancelled it with them yesterday to go with Andertons!)...ummmm.

Cant be helped, not the end of the world.

Anyway Raoul, I play in a little tin pot out fit call the Guilty, classic rock covers mainly of which I use the EVH 5150iii red channel, gain on 2-3 o'clock...and this is my main rhythm sound for pretty much everything...ummm subtle!! Pubs really and 4x12cab...so I guess I'll be looking at EVH samples first, but I'm totally open minded, if it sounds good then it sounds good, will be checking out the amp factory final bundle...are they calling it a day??

Niall

Hey thanks guys, great link from meambobbo, especially for a newbie like me to Kemper.
    I'm used to the L6 way of doing things on the Pro HD...thought briefly about getting a Helix??...but decided that everyone seems to be going Kemper, Raoul of Floating Greyhounds uses one (so thats good enough for me!!) and the Amp Factory stuff (I've heard peoples clips etc) sounds amazing! So looking fwd to spending some more money!!....Well its Christmas and I think I've been a good boy this year!?....goes without saying I'll be hiding all this stuff from the good lady! :thumbup: (she's used to it bless)
    Niall

Hi all,
    Kemper arriving tomorrow 8/12/15...slight change of plan, I cancelled my order with Kemper direct as Andertons had one last one in stock and they can do it next day...so tomorrow it is!! (I'm sure Kemper will cancel my order??....ummm, if not looks like I'll have a back up rig!!)

Main question at this early stage, should I do a firmware update (if required) immediately before doing anything else or just play and get used to the unit for a few weeks...I assume one of the first things to do when it arrives is register it and download 'rig manager' and see what that does?

I'm more excited than I should be for a 40 sumthin, that much I do know. Heres hoping!!
    Niall

I think we might have to form an East Anglian Regional Branch of the Kemper appreciation society! Lol.

I have listened to everyones thoughts/opinions/advice and it seems clear to me to stick with what I have.....NOT!

Kemper Power Rack & Footswitch ordered yesterday from Kemper direct as no one in the UK has one (ie the package) so it will arrive in the next week or two hopefully...CANT WAIT to get stuck in. I'm sure I'll have a few frustrating moments (I seem to remember a few sleepless nights with the Digitech 2120, not so much the POD PRO HD) but am really looking fwd to seeing what this can do for me, even if I dont delve into it as much as some are..I just want to enjoy it live.

Look fwd to touching bass with all you guys soon and exchanging tips and tricks...not that I'll be exchanging much to start with, I'll be more sponge orientated but i can clearly see from the many posts on here that people here are freely willing to hand out all there hard earned work in terms of advice (not cling onto it like its a secret), which is what makes us musicians lovely people!

Cheers for now guys
    Niall

Hi Guys,

Thank you all (Tritium,Ingolf,warlus1,Raoul23,viabcroce,Richy) for your great responses, really appreciated...it seems quite clear to me that there is only one way to go. Kemper here I come! I'll enjoy the journey and chatting with everyone on this forum, just seems like some really great people on here.

Raoul, I know and have seen Floating Greyhounds many times, one of the best bands in East Anglia full stop and Caister is only just up the road!. I will if ok with you get over to see you guys play soon (i'll look at your upcoming gig list, cant make this weekend unfortunately) if you have some time maybe a quick chat (though gig set up times are fraught!) at a convenient time. You always had great sound when you played the Vetta so the Kemper must be cutting it live for sure!

Once again thanks for all your posts (so far) I'm a grown up (48 going on 16) and can easily make decisions but its always helpful just to get a few ideas/thoughts of others before diving in..but diving in I will be...I'm sure the waters fine!

Cheers for now guys (i'm sure I'll be posting/reading/replying) once it arrives and the fun starts!
    Niall

Hi All,
    Asking for some genuine advice from all Kemper users. I'm on the verge of spending serious sums on a power rack & footswitch...plus rack case, wireless...the list goes on but before I do I thought I would ask some of you experienced guys (& gals) what you thought.

I would be using it mainly to play live with. I play in a local classic rock covers band (the Guilty) here in Wymondham Norfolk (its on the map just!!...its in the UK)...mainly pubs/bars. My current set up, EVH 5150iii 50watt head, Marshall 4x12, Line 6 Pod HDPro X on the floor 4CM into effects loop doing noise gate and effects only..oh and midi switching of the amp. Absoloutely LOVE the sound of the amp...we play mainly straight back line, no micing up...we are quite loud...but only as loud as the drummer but he hits quite hard.

Dilemma...love the look of everything that a Kemper does and has to offer just not sure if i'll regret letting go of my EVH 5150iii. I'm fairly good with tweaking stuff, I've had all the L6 stuff from Vettas to Pod XT, to POD HD PRO Digitech 2120's..the lot...so I guess my question is:

1) Power Rack or Un-Powered Rack + separate power amp.
    2) FRFR passive cab or stick with my 8ohm Marshall 4x12 (cab sims off on the Kemper)

Ideally I want to plug the Kemper into my cab and enjoy backline as normal (I might go 2x12 as the 4x12 is starting to seem heavy now!)...and on the rare occasions we get to do bigger stuff, keep it the same but also go to front of house desk out the back of the Kemper as well as cab onstage.

Will I be loud enough to get above the drummer...once he starts 'going for it'.

If on the absolute off chance there is anyone out there close to me, (Wymondham Norfolk UK) who is using this stuff in a live band/gigging situation then I'd love to have a chat (or just come and watch) and see for myself. I know I'll probably dive in anyway, I'm not an expert with tekki stuff but I managed to get a 2120 to sound half decent...but it was nothing compared to the EVH...that just rocks...I'm not looking for loads of different patches for 'live' just the usual, clean, crunch, killer rhythm patch (ala EVH red channel) and solo...we play mainly rock covers so I like to keep it fairly the same all the way through the set. (very dull I know but I'm a simple lad)

Anyway, seriously great forum and some great people on it...read lots of very interesting threads and posts so sorry if my post is a bit light weight, I guess I'm just trying to see if its the right move...I like it coz its less gear to cart around BUT can it sound as good as a EVH5150iii through a 4x12??

Any thoughts at this stage appreciated.
    Thanks
    Niall[*][*]