Posts by JackFocusrite

Hi @chriscav1

I'm very sorry to hear that you encountered some problems after installing some of our software. We're doing all that we can to investigate the issue you've mentioned, though we've also seen reports of this problem occurring with other software made by 3rd parties, it doesn't appear to just be our software that will occasionally do this on High Sierra.

If anyone else experiences this issue, please try following these steps:

- Boot into Recovery Mode on your Mac (hold CMD + R during boot up)
    - Select 'Disk Utility' from the list of options
    - Select your start up disk in the left sidebar
    - Click 'First Aid' at the top of the screen, then select 'Repair Disk'
    - Once that completes, try booting the computer normally

If you continue to have issues after that please contact us directly and we'll do all that we can to get you up and running: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
    Jack // Focusrite Technical Support

Hi @chrismilne

The MOTU 896 you were using likely has a lower maximum input level that your Scarlett. I've been unable to find specs online for the 896 but the maximum input level on the rear line inputs of your 6i6 is +16dBu - this means that you could send in a +16dBu analogue signal before digital clipping occurs.

There's nothing inherently wrong with getting a -10dB signal in your DAW (in fact, I'd typically recommend aiming for -10dB or lower as the maximum level when recording to leave some headroom) - you can simply turn up the channel you're recording into (or the DAW master/your speakers) to compensate if you're used to recording at a higher level for any reason.

I hope this helps!

@marcozzz

In your initial post, you mentioned your connection path is: 'Guitar into kemper , kemper into focusrite 2i4 (through 2 xlr cables)'

As mentioned in my previous post, you should NOT use an XLR connection to connect the Kemper to the 2i4 - doing this will activate the mic preamp circuit in the 2i4. You should ensure that the connection to the 2i4 is a 1/4 inch jack connection to engage the 'Line' circuit instead (you can use an XLR to 1/4 inch jack cable if you're using the XLR outs on the Kemper).

Best,
    Jack

@marcozzz

The XLR inputs on your 2i4 are designed for microphone-level signals, at the moment you're running the signal from the Kemper through the full microphone preamp stage. The signal coming out of the Kemper is at line level, you should therefore connect to the 2i4 using a 1/4 inch jack connection with the switch on the front of the 2i4 set to 'Line'.

I hope this helps!

@KrisGee

Sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your setup.

To clarify, Mix Control is used to determine what gets sent to each output on your device, it doesn't affect the order in which inputs get sent to your DAW. In your DAW, inputs 5-6 correspond to the SPDIF input.

In your current Mix Control setup, you've created a Mix called 'Guitar' (highlighted in orange), but then not routed it to any of the outputs (the outputs are listed below the faders, in the red square in the image I've attached).

If you're simply trying to record the SPDIF input into your DAW and wish to hear this back, you can select the 'DAW Tracking' Routing Preset (this routes DAW 1 and DAW 2 to all outputs). If you're trying to do anything else, please describe your desired signal flow and I'm sure I'll be able to help.

Best,

@RookGarner,

Sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your 18i8. We're not aware of any SPDIF-related issues with the 18i8 so we're not working on any firmware to 'fix' anything, as far as I'm aware.

This sounds like some further troubleshooting will be needed in order to get to the root of the issue. Forums aren't a great place for that, it would be best if you could open a support request with us so that we can get some more information from you: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,
    Jack

Hi @Hellpig,

Focusrite Control has replaced Mix Control on our newer interfaces, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some problems getting to grips with it.

The 'Mixing and Routing' tab allows you to determine what you'll hear through each output on your 6i6. I would suggest that you set your monitor outputs to 'Custom Mix', then create a Mix containing "Playback 1-2" (the output from Cubase) and "SPDIF 1-2" (the signal from your Kemper). You'll then hear your Cubase session, as well as hearing the signal from the Kemper (even without having Cubase open).

You can then create an audio track to record to in Cubase and select the SPDIF inputs, then mute this track (or don't enable input monitoring) to avoid hearing the signal twice (it will still be recorded).

I've attached a screenshot showing this, the screenshot was made using a Red 8Pre interface so there are a few options that won't appear in your version.

I hope this helps, if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us directly: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,

Hi krikke,

That's great news, no problem!

Michael_dk - the 6i6 does have zero-latency monitoring, however if the dry track has already been recorded it's not typically necessary to listen to the re-amped signal with zero latency.

Additionally, the 2nd Generation Scarletts were designed with low latency in mind, in many situations you wouldn't necessarily need to create a low latency mix anyway!

Best,

Hi krikke,

That sounds as though you've not enabled the 'Input Monitoring' button on your return track in Reaper. This button is just to the left of the input selection list on each track and looks like a speaker - if you switch this on while you're receiving audio back from the Kemper, you should hear this signal through your 6i6.

Best,

Hi krikke,

Michael is correct, you shouldn't need to change your Focusrite Control routing in this setup. Here's the steps I would advise taking:

- In Focusrite Control, go to File > System Playback. This will route outputs 1-2 from your software to all outputs on your Scarlett.
    - Next, assign Playback 5-6 to the SPDIF Out.
    - In Reaper, record your dry guitar track as you have been doing (I'm a bit confused as to why you're recording the dry track via the Kemper but that's down to you!).
    - To re-amp the signal, send the dry track in Reaper to Output 5 (or 5-6 if you're working in stereo). This will send the signal to the SPDIF Out on your 6i6 (which I'm assuming you have connected to the Kemper).
    - Record the return signal from the Kemper (SPDIF In 5, or 5-6).

I hope this helps, if you need any further assistance please feel free to get in touch with us directly: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best regards,

Hi Ragnarok,

Sorry to hear that you're having some problems getting audio into/out of the computer with your 2i2.

db's post is very helpful though I should just point out that the 2i2 doesn't have a software mixer (Scarlett Mix Control/Focusrite Control) as that's only used for the bigger Scarletts in the range (the 6i6, 18i8 and 18i20).

There are many potential configuration issues you might be coming up against if you're not getting audio in such a setup - if you're still having problems please get in touch with us directly and we'll do all we can get you up and running: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best regards,

Hi Raoul (I believe you may have just spoken to a colleague using our Live Chat feature but I thought I'd post here anyway!),

You don't 'need' to control the Liquid Channel using the application, though it should work fine on Windows 7 regardless.

The Liquid Channel was discontinued due to the company not wishing to pursue Liquid technology any further and instead focussing on audio interfaces.

It's hard to discuss repair costs since it depends on what the fault actually is in any given circumstance as to how much it will cost to fix it. Our repairs service tends to be very economical, (though this is of course a matter of opinion). There are no common faults that I know of with Liquid Channel units (if there were faults, we would have done everything we could to rectify these during the product's life cycle).

Best,
    Jack // Focusrite Tech Support

Hi all,

To confirm - the Liquid Channel acts as a 'normal' preamp with many emulations (preamp, EQ and compressor), though you can control it digitally using an application (not a plugin). It was discontinued quite some time ago, supported operating systems are listed here: https://focusrite.com/downloads/os?product=Liquid+Channel

In practice, the control application has been seen to work with far newer operating systems than the OS Checker indicates, though it's not officially tested or supported on those platforms (for example, it's been seen to work with Windows 10 and OS X Yosemite).

If you need any information about the Liquid Channel please feel free to contact us directly: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,

Hi all,

To confirm - the '6' outputs that the 6i6 has are: 4 line outputs (the first two are mirrored to headphone output 1, the second two are mirrored to headphone output 2) + SPDIF Out (2 channels).

The '8' outputs from the 18i8 are: 2 line outputs, 2 x stereo headphone outputs (completely independent from the line outputs) + SPDIF Out (2 channels).

Please feel free to get in touch with us directly if you have any unresolved questions: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best,

Hi evenian,

Sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your 2i2.

I'm not too sure that I understand the routing that you've described. An example way to set this up would be:

- Set your dry track in Logic to Output 1
    - Connect output 1 on the Scarlett to the input on the Kemper
    - Connect the output of the Kemper back to input 1 on the front of the Scarlett (be sure to use a 1/4 inch jack connection into the Scarlett to avoid engaging the mic preamp)
    - Set Direct Monitor 'off' on the front of the Scarlett
    - Create a new track in Logic and set this to input 1
    - Mute the track, then press record

Unfortunately I can't really think of a way that you could do this and be able to monitor the signal at the same time without incurring a feedback loop, if you don't mute the track you will end up sending this round the loop as well, which would explain the problem you're having.

You might therefore be better with an interface that has more than 2 inputs/outputs, for example the Scarlett 6i6 (which also has SPDIF): https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best,

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Hi Jeremy,

Just to echo the comments of others in this thread - both the wet return from the Kemper and the DI will both be at line level (a standalone DI box takes an unbalanced instrument level signal and converts it to a balanced line/mic level signal) so you should set the 2i4 to 'Line'. Bear in mind that when connecting to the combi inputs on the front of the 2i4 you'll need to use a 1/4 inch jack connection rather than an XLR connection since an XLR connection will engage the mic preamp circuit rather than the Line/Inst circuit.

Best,

That's certainly a valid point if all of your devices only have 1 Thunderbolt port, though as I mentioned above, if some of them have two you should have no problems connecting a Clarett at the end of the chain - this will not impact performance.

I will pass your feedback on to our development team for consideration for future products. If you have any further questions/queries just let me know.

Best regards,