Posts by Jose7822

If you want to control the Kemper with the Helix then what you need is a MIDI cable. The 4CM alone won’t allow you to do that. 4CM allows you to combine the amps and FX of both units, but that’s about it.

I used to control my Kemper with the Helix functioning exclusively as a foot controller. Works great, but it does require some programming. You’ll need to study the MIDI Parameter Documentation guide of the Kemper, which you can download from the Support section on the Kemper site.

remember all your favorites WONT show up in the 2nd when you change the username in the second, i just imported it to a usb and then fav'd them, you will find that RM is 2 kemper user friendly, especially the performance(s). Run both at the same time for a stereo out of world experience.
    Are you going to run them both together or am i still alone in the universe :D

Ash

I’ll most likely connect the 2nd Kemper to another computer, so I won’t have to worry about that. One will be dedicated to studio work and the other is for gigs. I guess you’ll remain alone in the Universe :-P.

Thanks for chipping in everyone!

Thanks! :)

I tried Google, as well as the forum search function, before posting here, but I can’t find the answer to this question. Also went into the Kemper FAQ section of their site to no avail. I guess I’ll give it more time before I start the registration process.

Take care!

Sup guys!

I just bought a second Kemper and I want to know if I can register it to the same account as my first Kemper?

This one I got “used” (it was actually a returned unit) from Musicians Friend. I haven’t tried registering it because I wanted to confirm that I can register two, or more, Kemper amps to the same account, or if perhaps it’s better to register it as a new device for whatever reason. Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, seems like a Kemper 2 (or some type of hardware revision) is NOT out of the question like some of you think:

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It made me happy to hear Mr. Kemper say that he is interested in component profiling, which will definitively require a hardware upgrade. Looking forward to whenever that happens (hopefully not too far off).

@Jose7822, I appreciate your ethical focus, but according to your logic there's no Ibanez or Marshall for you. And many more. Where do you start to make compromises?

It’s one thing to do something like a Fender or a Marshall, but with your own take on it. Pretty much every musical instrument company does that. Us, musicians do that all the time. We create songs that are in a certain musical style that we took from someone else, but we make it our own. Can you say the Blues? How many times has that been rehashed and yet you can get several flavors like Rock Blues, Jazz Blues, Texas Blues, Funk Blues, Delta Blues, etc. What Behringer did was more like copywrite infringement. Literally, taken a product as is and rebranding it. That’s the difference!

OK, I wasn’t going to comment on this topic anymore because my intention wasn’t to derail this thread. But I guess I’ll reply to this since it pretty much encompasses all the other replies.

Yes, I am aware that Behringer has acquired some of the top name companies in the industry over the years. Of course these companies have great products that were developed and are still developed with their respective engineers doing legit R&D. That R&D has even trickled down to their own Behringer brand. Understood!

However, you do realize that the reason why Behringer was able to acquire these companies in the first place was because of money earned selling products made from schematics stolen from other companies and sold for much cheaper, right? (Rhetorical question, since you did acknowledge that this is how Behringer operated 10-15 years ago). The point is, you’re OK with Behringer because now they’re “legit”? Seriously, the logic brought forth here is mind blowing. Regardless of how Behringer operates now, the fact of the matter is that they got were they are by performing unethical practices.

If that’s the business model you support, go ahead. Personally, I don’t support companies like that.

Who's not at all a competitor of theirs... <g>
    That used to be the case with Behringer.

They're definitely becoming a more serious, low cost, option

The fact that some people are willing to accept how Behringer operates and be ok with that says A LOT!

The person who shared that information with me is a respectable guy and gets along just fine with his peers (including direct competitors). Obviously, in the case of Behringer, he is rightfully not happy about them since they’ve stolen schematics from some of their products in the past. Any normal human being operating a legit business wouldn’t be happy about that, I’d think.

If you don’t care about how Behringer goes about their business, and still want to purchase Behringer products, then go ahead. I’m not stopping you. I just wanted to share a piece of information given to me by a person inside the music business who knows what they’re talking about (rather than listen to what random people in a forum “think” is going on).

Like I said, moving on. This is getting too OT.

I think the times are changing though. Some of Behringer's stuff nowadays isn't ripoffs, they are designing some very nice products. Reliability issues also seem to be a thing of the past.

The information I got is current and from a person high up in the music industry (who will remain unnamed). If you wanna support a company like that, go ahead. Personally I think people who buy Behringer products are knowingly (or unknowingly) hurting the innovative companies in the music industry. Just one mans thoughts :-).

Technology is moving so fast, and Behringer makes really good products for very reasonable prices.

Behringer is the scum of the world. The reason why their products are so cheap is because they literally steal schematics from other products, so they don’t have to invest in R&D. They also use cheap parts to lower prices even further. I was made aware recently that Behringer has an entire city of factories in China, with gigantic rooms full of cubicles with so called “engineers” that do nothing but copy schematics from other companies. It’s really messed up.

I’ll never buy a Behringer product just because of this. Gotta support the companies that do move the music industry forward, instead of those that hinder it by selling stolen products for cheaper. But I digress.

Yeap! I too wonder about some of the comments made in here. I’ve already said as much, so I guess I’ll just leave it alone. Just wanted to say that I agree with you :-).

Helix has a touch based screen and from what I hear, it is really intuitive. Best in class when it comes to tweaking.

You’re thinking about the Headrush. The Helix doesn’t have a touch screen but it does have touch capacitance switches, which help accelerate the editing process. Agree on the best in class comment when it comes to on the fly tweaks.

Question....

Does anyone REALLY use the Helix front controls to do their setup?

Sometimes I do, yes.

I also make changes to presets on the unit itself during rehearsal, right before the gig. It’s super fast and easy, which is one of the great many features of the Helix. IMO, no other multieffects unit beats it in terms of features, ease of use and versatility. That’s why my dream rig would be a Helix with the tones of the Kemper. But that’s me :-).

Personally, I hate reliance on smart devices to control things. Heating would be an exception to the rule, possibly. But could think of nothing worse than relying on my phone to control the Kemper. So if this is absolutely necessary, please make it a complimentary feature, not a compulsory one with exclusive features.

Absolutely agree with you!

If they do end up going this route of controlling the Kemper (1, 2, 100 or whatever) with a mobile device, then I hope they make it an option and not a must. I want to be able to edit from the unit itself at any time :-).

Respectfully If one is thinking/commenting without partiality then they are scientifically, potentially with the right operator, absolutely sonically equal.

IF one has the talent to dial the Helix it is equal. I've conducted my own tests scientifia lly and my god.. there are enough blind tests on the web where no discernable difference is heard.

I’ve owned both the Helix and the Kemper for almost 3 years now and I still think that the Kemper has the edge when it comes to amp tones and feel. Believe me I’ve tried various IRs from OwnHammer, 3Sigma, the Allure pack that was offered free to Helix users, a few from Celestion, and the M.Britt IR pack. I’ve also tried tricks shared by Helix users on how to make the factory cabs sound their best. Out of all of these, the IRs that give me the best results are the M.Britt ones. Even then, as good as the Helix sounds, the Kemper still gives me better tones/feel. Again, it’s not a huge difference. But a difference nonetheless. BTW, when I’ve done comparisons of both, I use a Xitone monitor. I’ve used my Neumanns KH310s as well.

Another issue with the Helix is what some people call the “squirrels”, which is basically a digital artifact that can be heard during the decay of a chord. This affects several of the Helix amp models, except for a very minor few. Unfortunately there’s no way to get rid of the squirrels without severely reducing the gain of the amp model, which defeats the purpose of using these for crunch or high gain tones. The good news is that not a lot of people seem to be able to hear the squirrels. But once you hear it, you can’t un-hear it.

As for tests done online, I find them useless because you don’t know exactly how it was conducted. For example, was it done using the same DI takes? Was it using factory profiles/presets, or was it dialed in to taste? Are IRs used? Etc. That said, regardless of how the test was conducted, IMO the best way to compare these devices is to simply try them out yourself. Everyone’s taste is different, plus there’s also the feel aspect which can’t be perceived through a video comparison.

That’s because the Kemper is the closest digital device to a real amp. IMO, the other devices, though they are VERY close too, don’t sound/feel as good. Otherwise, I don’t think people would be asking for these requests. At least in my case, it’s not about brand loyalty. It’s about whatever tool works best for my wants/needs, which is why I also use a Helix. But it would be killer to have the Helix functionality with the Kemper tone, IMO.