Posts by Jose7822

Hi Jose, guitar amplifiers in the past have not jumped leaps and bounds technically like these new units we are now using… For instance, I have a Bogner 100B that I and many others believe, has superior tone to anything Bogner has put out since… I will never sell that amplifier.The Mesa boogie markIIC+ (1983/84) is an amplifier that many people consider to be the holy grail of heavy tones… Nothing they have made since sounds the same…
    However, tast forward to now, these new units, fractal, helix, KPA, are all jumping ahead with technology so very quickly… The proof is in what’s happening with fractal right now, Look at all the AXE FXII that are for sale because the new one has come out… People are losing lots of money… Guitar players will pay huge amounts for that extra 5% in TONE…
    It’s fact, we are a strange bunch!! :D

You lose money the day you buy any of these products, be it an amplifier or a guitar modeled. Granted, you probably lose more money on a modeler than you do on an amplifier. But is this really a reason to stop innovating (especially since you've brought up how fast technology evolves with these digital units)?

In fact, digital units have a better chance to prolong their lifespan through firmware updates as long as the hardware is made to last. But that's the catch, isn't it? Most of these companies want you to buy the new hardware. Kemper is not like that, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't eventually come out with a new, and up to date, hardware. You gotta admit that the Kemper is getting left behind by the competition when it comes to hardware though. Kemper will eventually be forced to come out with a new hardware if they want to remain in the market, and I feel that that time is approaching soon (maybe within a year or two max).

That said, if the new hardware doesn't provide any benefits to you, then what keeps you from using the old one? As someone said above, new car models come out every year. Do they make you feel like selling your car? As long as your car does what you want it to do, you're happy to keep it, right? Well, there you go :-).

The thing is, I believe Kemper has been a success by not following the pack. Their approach has been different from the rest of the set amp modellers and their business model is also unique. There has been so much life in the one product and for me the focus has been primarily on amp tone.
    There are plenty of boxes out there that are based on effects with all the bells and whistles, if that is what someone wants. I love playing with effects as much as the next guy, but when it comes to performance it is the same as when I used as real amp in that I want tone first.

Do you really think that Kemper's approach is different because CK didn't do ANY research on what others were doing before him? I never said he should copy exactly what others are doing. What I said was that he should pay attention to what they're doing right, and even to what they're doing wrong. That way he can improve on their success/failures. It's what any smart person would do!

I’m in the same boat, I don’t want to see a Kemper II either :|

Right! Let's just wait until everyone has had their Kempers for a while before the Kemper 2 is released. If companies thought this way new products would NEVER be released.

As Brobar said, just because a Kemper 2 is out does not make your original Kemper less of a Kemper. When Mesa Boogie came out with the Mark IIC+ years ago, did the following Mark amps made it obsolete? Did the JP-2C model make the IIC+ obsolete? Some of you guys crack me up, lol.

Line 6 does not make pro audio gear. They make cheap consumer gear with components that are prone to failure. "Runaway success" is like saying the speaker on your iPhone is a runaway success for speakers creating rich and authentic music playback. Let's not worry about what Line6 is doing, they will continue making garbage on a cyclical basis that will eventually end up in a landfill.

Everybody else is trying to play catchup, Fractal included. We don't want a Kemper that is scraping ideas from the bottom of the barrel.If Kemper and UA teamed up to make a product, I think we would see some real innovation. I don't think we need a second Kemper, but maybe there's room for a second product which serves an entirely different purpose.

Hahaha! This was laughable. Must be a lame attempt at getting this thread shut down -_-.

But I'll give you a serious reply, just to bring this thread back on topic. If the people at Kemper are smart, AND THEY ARE, they'll pay attention to the market and the successes of their competitors. That's how they can stay relevant. And this is good for everyone, because that's really how products get better faster. Otherwise, things remain stagnant.

Yes, yes, yes, yes! Yes to all of these!!

I would LOVE to have those features in the Kemper. Hell yeah!

I don't really fall into the category of people who are dissatisfied with the KPA as it is. If Kemper never released a new version, that would suit me just fine. I think most of the people in this thread are just tossing ideas around. I guess my question is why someone would read a thread they find annoying and unproductive?

Totally agree with you, ColdFrixion.

I don't think anyone here is complaining. We're simply stating our wishes for the next Kemper iteration. I don't think there's any harm in that. But if you find it unproductive, and/or you don't want to participate then feel free not to. I don't mean to sound rude, but we should be able to have this discussion.

The main problem with a Kemper 2 is that everyone looks at features they want individually and there is very little consensus, even if Kemper intended to update. I could easily spec out what I would like to make a few improvements to my own needs, but would unlikely be what you prefer.

That's why you give people options. You're never gonna please everyone but, with options, you can cater to a much larger audience. Perhaps some people will never use dual amp profiles, but some others will. I know I would. And those features I won't need I simple don't use. No biggie.

I still don't understand some of you guy's mentality. You DON'T have to buy a Kemper 2 if your current one does everything you need it to do. It'll still work just as good as the first day you bought it. Plus, it's not like I can say what I would like to see in the Kemper 2 and CK just comes out with one the next day, lol.

Come on guys :-).

Oh, I forgot to mention:

8 - Audio Interface (I personally don't really need this, but I know a lot of people who would).

See how that works? It's called not being selfish ;-).

To be honest imo if you’re hankering after features that are available in another product eg Helix etc then maybe that’s the product you should get instead of requesting a kpa2.

At the end of the day we choose products because if the feature sets we want / need and that’s fine. Things like a floor board version just arent ‘needed’ again, my opinion of course. If using a midi board of some type isn’t good enough then get the helix or something else which is better suited to your needs.

The kpa is first and foremost an amp ‘simulator’ not a multi fx unit with amp blocks. Ok I’ll amend that - for me and my uses.

I do own a Helix, and I was using it live alongside the Kemper. It was the best sounding Rig I've ever had, but it was also defeating the purpose behind my switch to digital in the first place (which was to simplify my setup by bringing less and lighter equipment to gigs). So now I use the Helix live and the Kemper in the studio.

Even though I miss the amp tones of the Kemper during gigs, it is just much easier for me to bring and set up the Helix than it is to bring the Kemper. Not to mention the features outlined in my first post that the Kemper lacks compared to the competition, which is a big reason why people either switch from the Kemper or simply don't even buy one (I know because I've seen it in other forums). This is why, FOR ME, having both units in one would be ideal. And that's why I would LOVE to see a Kemper 2.

and this is just it...the Axe is for new sounds and doing things an traditional amp cannot do. The KEMPER is for amp purists that want those tube amp sounds we all love, all profiled in a nice box. The Kemper got it right from day one. The Axe will keep coming out with the latest version adding more and more and getting further away from an amplifier with each version.

This makes no sense when we're talking about a device that does digital emulation of tube amps, as well as stomp box effects. Amp purist will stick with the real thing. That's what a "purist" means.

I don't get this attitude of not wanting the Kemper to improve. Perhaps for some the Kemper is already perfect. But it isn't for many others, myself included. And that's OK. You know why? Because there's always room for improvement. As technology evolves, things get better. I'm sure the Kemper will too, which is a GOOD thing for everyone! ;)

1 - More internal (software) and external (hardware) routing capabilities. - to do what ? Sorry I just don;t get this...maybe I'm just a simple guitarist but I have not hit any limitations that I care about. I know the Helix has more routing capabilities but no idea what they are used for..pre and post amp is enough for me so I'm not clear what is missing. from a hardware perspective perhaps more options effects loop wise but as the effects get better, the need drops..

For when they add a dual profile setup, for example. Then you can have individual signal paths, with pre and post amp effects, for each profile. This would enable you to do Wet/Dry as well.

If Kemper adds a Synth tone generator then you can have different effects for it than you have for your normal guitar Rig.

Having a Clean Profile panned hard Left with a Chorus, Comp, Reverb and another slightly overdriven profile panned hard Right with Delay and Reverb.

Anyway, those are just a few examples of how I would personally use it, but there are more possibilities available with more complex routing.

As for hardware routing, there are many who still prefer using an analog stomp boxes for their effects. Waiting for Kemper to improve or even add newly released effects takes too long. Better to have the possibility of adding more hardware to the Kemper, so you can place them anywhere you want in the signal chain.

2 - Ability to load two separate profiles. Why? I know some guitarists play with 2 amps and behind them but not many at the same time and blend, which seems to be the only purpose. Unless the hardware does not have enough processing power ( which I think was mentioned) this is software not hardware. Neat but a bit niche I think...

You already answered your own question :)

3 - S/PDIF recording capabilities of up to 96KHz. Fair enough.

Good!

4 - Front screen worthy of the year we're in (NOT from 1989). Not enough to drive a new version.

Of course not. Any of these requests by themselves are not enough reason to make a Kemper 2. But together...I think so.

5 - The addition of a Floorboard model to make it easier for gigging/touring musicians. Nothing to do with Kemper 2, this would be a separate unit. BTW I am gigging and would never want this so add "for some"...

Sure! Not EVERY SINGLE touring musician wants this. I don't know who gave you that idea cause I sure didn't say that. I didn't think I had to clarify this.

6- Synth effects!!! Software

If it can be done right now, then by all means. But I don't think it can without a processor upgrade. I would be happy to be proven wrong by the addition of Synth capabilities to the Kemper though (with Filters, LFOs, at least 2 Oscillators, etc).

7 - And, for crying out loud, a Windows/Mac editor please!! As you mentioned, nothing to do with Kemper 2.

Perhaps. But WHEN the Kemper 2 releases it must have an editor. Not doing so would be like buying a luxury car without an A/C. It's a common feature of current modelers. That was the point behind this one.

I agree that those like me who don;t want one don;t need to buy one but fads and trends irritate the hell out of me. The focus should and is on great sounds and real practicality and this so far has not been beaten as far as I'm concerned ( as I watch my mate scrabble around on the floor with his helix adjusting the volume into his powered monitors, messing with output and routing)...this is what specifically puts me off those units.

I like the Kemper because its cured my GAS for amps. Don't let's start an upgrade cycle like Axe FFS..

Anyway, each to his own..

Like you said, to each their own. If you don't need these features, then don't buy it. Simple!

BTW, I could say the same about the Kemper. It's a PITA to adjust anything in it without an editor if you have it placed in a rack that's not easy to reach. IOW, both devices have their plus and minuses. Same with their form factors ;-).
    [/quote]

Personally, I'd like to see a Kemper 2 with:

1 - More internal (software) and external (hardware) routing capabilities.

2 - Ability to load two separate profiles.

3 - S/PDIF recording capabilities of up to 96KHz.

4 - Front screen worthy of the year we're in (NOT from 1989).

5 - The addition of a Floorboard model to make it easier for gigging/touring musicians.

6- Synth effects!!!

7 - And, for crying out loud, a Windows/Mac editor please!!

Hopefully we don't have to wait for the Kemper 2 to see that last request though. But that is my wishlist :-).

And for those who don't want a Kemper 2, you know you don't have to buy it if/when it comes out, right? Just stick to the Kemper, which is still a great device. I mean, what do you consider an acceptable life span for a digital device? 10? 15? 20 years? As cool as 15 to 20 years sound, I can almost guarantee you that that's not gonna happen.

There's gonna be a point when CK is gonna have to release a new unit and, in my opinion, that point seems to be very soon giving that a lot of people are switching to other manufacturers from the Kemper due to their convenience over it. Even though I (and even those same people switching over) still consider the Kemper the best sounding digital device in its category, the other devices are also very good sounding and they offer conveniences (such as a floorboard model and computer editor, among other things) that gives them an edge over the Kemper. The Kemper's only trump card is the profiling aspect, which a lot of people don't really care for. So what's left? It's great to have a long life span. But competition won't allow it. You gotta stay relevant in order to sell. Just one man's opinion :-).

I made this video using the Kemper for my Guitars (M.Britt and Soundside profiles) and Bass (Factory profile) tones . The arrangement was done by my friend Mike Gibilisco.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

I own one (the 1x12 active cab) and it sounds great! Built like a TANK too.

The only thing I've noticed is a hiss when you first turn it on. But it quickly goes away after a few seconds. I'm not sure why it does that, but it's been doing it since I first got it so I assume this is normal. Also, they don't come with the ZZ symbol anymore. It's just the bare grill now.

HTH

Is the Lexicon listed as the "Default" playback device in Windows? This may not be the case, and Windows might be using another audio device for playback when you're not monitoring through FL Studio. In case you don't know how to do this, watch the following video (should be the same procedure for W7):

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

HTH!

Hi!

I agree that the Lyra is too overpriced for what you get, but I also understand you not wanting more than what you need. In my opinion, an RME Babyface Pro fits your needs perfectly without conpromises and without breaking the bank. Both the Lyra and the Babyface have comparable converter quality (actually the Babyface is a hair better in terms of Dynamic Range and THD+N than the Lyra, at least on paper). Check it out:

http://www.prismsound.com/musi…s_subs/lyra/lyra_spec.php

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/babyface_pro.php#5

I've been using RME for 10 years (FF400 and UCX) and I assure you they are well made, high quality converters. Their drivers offer among the best low latency in the industry, and they are always on top of things when it comes to driver releases (to support a new OS or to fix bugs). If you want a leap in converter quality you'll need to spend twice or more the cost of the Lyra (we're talking $3,000 to $6,000 USD range). Again, for what you need, not worth the money.

Plus, as mentioned earlier, when recording the Kemper via SPDIF, the converters in the Kemper are what you'll be using since you have to set it up as the Master. It's only when recording via the analog I/O where the converters on your audio interface matter.

Good luck!

EDIT: Correction! I meant to say that the Lyra's converters are a hair better than the Babyface Pro.

Actually, the new 5051 profiles from MBritt are really good for metal. I'm using it to record with my 8 string and it sounds awesome. Another one I really like are the ENGL Powerball II profiles from Soundside. That said, I agree that other MBritt profiles are gonna be too dark for recording with lower tuning guitars though.

To give another perspective, I own a Helix and find myself tweaking for long periods before I am satisfied with the tone I want (The recently released Celestion IRs help a lot though). But, even then, I am never 100% satisfied with the Helix. That's why I decided to get the Kemper. Now I just browse my profile collection, make a couple of tweaks, and I'm done! Takes all of 5 mins or less to get a great tone. I'm not a tweaker, so the Kemper is the perfect fit for me. I also don't use a lot of effects, but the new Delays are just amazing! All that said, YMMV.

Take care!