Posts by Giallanon

How do you change performances?

Clicking buttons on the kemper itself.

The point is that I don't think you need to change performance during a song in a live and, on the other side, hitting twice a button for error and have the K to automatically switch to next/previous performance is a bit confusing while you're playing.

Switching performances is something you can do between songs, so no problem if you have to reach the K and click a button.

Isn't this possible already? AFKPA but I think I remember an option somewhere for this. Might be wrong though.

I don't think so, I've search the manual and haven't found anything, but I could be wrong.
    I think the "next/prev rigs" functions were made with browse mode in mind, so you can browse all your rigs using a pedal.
    Since performance mode is the way to go when gigging, to me it could be a pro having the K to always stay in the current performance when using rig up/down function

I use a simple boss F5-6 to switch between rigs inside a performace.
    The problem arise when I'm at rig number 1 and press rig down for error, or when I'm at rig2 and press twice the rig down button.
    I'd like if kemper could stay always in the same performance instead of browsing rigs like in browse mode.
    When in perfomance mode, at rig 1, pressing rig-down should not have any effect (instead of moving to previous performance rig 5).
    Same idea for rig 5; pressing rig-up should stay at rig5 and not go to next performance rig 1.

I'm pretty sure the volume on the Kemper is just volume and in no way like master volume in real amps so as long as it's the same volume it really makes no difference, If you think you're getting different result, I'm going to presume that you're not getting the exact volume,

I'm sure you're right, also the kpa manual states that there should not be any difference in tone when adjusting rig volume.

I was not very clear with my example. In order to try to maintain the same output volume level, I rise rig volume by x and lower master volume by same x. This way the final volume should stay the same and there should not be any difference in tone. I'm rising a knob volume and lowering the other by the same amount. In my mind I hear a difference in tone :)

I know it shouldn't, but it seems to me that some rigs, expecially high gain ones, sometimes sounds better if rig volume is high.
    I mean, from rig volume=0 and master volume=-20dB to rig volume=8 and master volume=-12dB, it shouldn't change anything in the tone, isnt'it?
    Nonetheless...

Not sure if this is the right forum, feel free to move this post.
    Anyway, I found this rig on RM, named "Metallica Moth" and I'd like to contact the author because it's the first rig I found that really fits my guitar and playstyle.
    I'd like to thank him for the rig and, maybe, steal any other rigs he possibly made (ATM there's only this one on RM, but maybe you have more in your pocket).
    If you are here dear Perry, send me a sign :)

IMO kpa can sound spectacular through a decent pa equipped with subwoofer, but I don't own a spectacular pa and generally speaking, none of rehearsal rooms I've been have more than 2 half decent speakers that are intended to be used for vocal only.
    So, after many tries, after many frfr monitors, I've finally switched to use kpa with a linear power amp (matrix fx1000) through a standard 4x12 guitar cabinet that I can find in any rehearsal and even in most pub/gigging events.
    Is this the intended/right way to use kpa? Probably not.
    Does this setup gives me the amp in the room feeling? Yes
    You may have to experiment a bit with various profiles to find "the one", but in the meanwhile you won't be "owned" by the other guitarrist that use a regular tube amp.
    The 4x12 will color your tone, you won't be able to reproduce any tone with accuracy using the same 4x12, what you hear from your cab is not what ppl will hear through the pa, but you gonna have the punch, the air that moves, the power of a guitar amp pushed at high volume.

Actually I prefer the first example :) you say it sounds muddy, not to my hears hehe. Too me it sound fuller.
    Second sample is surely more defined, but it's a bit too harsh for my taste.
    Third is better than 2nd, you tamed the harshness a bit.

The thrashy riff is cool, especially when doubled but, to me, it will benefit from some added bass to guitar sound (ie: not the "bass" instrument, I mean rise the bass on the ampli, or lower the mid)

Kpa monitor out into matrix with a short cable. Matrix output into 4x12 with one or two standard head-to-cab cable(s).
    If you also want to go direct into PA, then kpa left and/or right outputs into mixing desk using xlr cable(s).
    From kpa output settings select cab sim off for monitor out since you are using a real cab. Set master volume at -30dB for kpa main outputs, set monitor volume at 0dB since matrix wants it that way.
    On stage you can use matrix volume pot(s) to control your volume. For the PA, adjust the -30dB during the sound check according to what the mixer-man says

kpa + matrix gt1000fx into whatever cab the pub has to offer, or my own 4x12 if we play as "headliner" and we have to bring our own backline. Usually I don't go into pa because of fast changeover. The cab is mic'ed and everyone use that same cab, so do I

Go for kpa rack not powered and then buy a power amp. Put everything in a 3U case and you are done. Remote is not a must, it depends on your need. I use a simple 2 button switch because all I need is to go up and down between presets. If you need to toggle effects on and off, need pedals and other stuff, the remote is the ideal solution.